Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors Weeden, Empire, Doll, Jensen, Wilesco, Mamod, Marklin

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors

Bing upright 13" steam engine

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 843 times

Old 11-23-2016, 07:40:26 PM
Registered

Default Bing upright 13" steam engine

Does anyone know where I can get parts for a toy steam engine made by Bing. I need the governor that has 2 balls. My machine has a cast iron door with the letters GBD on it.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2016, 10:01:42 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Bing upright 13" steam engine

Unfortunately there are no suppliers for spare parts for these toy engines as there are hundreds of models and model variations. So most of us have to make our own parts.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:56:52 AM
Registered

do you know anyone that has this particular model so that i may be able to get dimensions of the the missing pieces (the governor). And could you suggest someone that i could pay to make some of these part. I have engineering experience as a mechanical designer, so i do understand the complexity of the parts in question and may have the resources to make some of the parts myself. Also, do you if the governor actually functions as a governor or is it just something for looks. my engine has a wire belt that would go to the governor so it appears it would be functional. I have never owned a steam engine, but i do have a few maytags (non running) and an IH 3-5hp that does run good.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:17:34 AM
Subscriber

You will need to post some good photos of the engine to determine the model, size, etc. as there were many types and models over a long production period. Maybe someone will have the same model. But I don't know of anyone making parts. Fortunately the governors were just 'spinners' and did not actually govern the steam intake or speed of the engine.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:23:33 PM
Registered

---------- Post added at 04:20:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19:19 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:23:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20:48 PM ----------

Here are some photos.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:29:27 PM
Subscriber

Photos don't show up on my computer. You might have to try again.

---------- Post added at 05:22:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16:21 PM ----------

Sorry I finally was able to see 3 photos after hitting the 'reload' button several times. I don't have that model but will see if I can find a photo of one showing the governor. Maybe another member will have one.

---------- Post added at 05:29:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22:56 PM ----------

Here are some photos of what appears to be the same engine (link below), including the governor. I'm assuming there are bevel gears or knurled discs at 90 degrees underneath that round cover below the balls:

http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/ar...t__t_9340.html
Old 11-25-2016, 06:44:16 PM
Registered

Yes, these are the photos I found that allowed me to understand what was missing from my engine. So, based on these photos of the governor, do you still believe the governor is non functional (just a "spinner")? If so, can you give me the basics of what to check and verify, so that I may get my engine running? my engine is missing the stack, is this component necessary. can a fit a copper tube into the top the function as the stack?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:51:19 AM
Subscriber

Yes, the governor is non-functional, just a spinner. The stack isn't necessary to run the engine. Not sure if you have the original burner, but those use alcohol of the type sold in hardware stores for mixing with shellac. Make sure everything is properly lubricated and you can test it by running on compressed air. For that you may need to make a fitting or adapter for a small compressor like an airbrush compressor. If there are old, leaky gaskets these may need to be replaced, etc., especially around the water sight glass. Looks like you will also need to make a small weight for the safety valve. Feel free to contact me by PM or email for further information. The forum where you found the photos is also a good source for information on running and restoring toy steam engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brent Rowell For This Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 06:00:48 PM
Registered

You've given me a great start. I will first try to get it running on compressed air. I will let you know how it progresses. Thanks
Old 01-09-2017, 06:34:09 PM
Registered-I

Hi you could try German Ebay as I know Bing parts can and do come up all the time. Nice engine..