Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Alternative Fuels An energy source alternative to using fossil fuels. Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, other than conventional fuels. Waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Alternative Fuels

Water produced in combustion

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 991 times

Old 12-11-2016, 10:57:03 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Water produced in combustion

Water is not "lost forever" from fracking, but water pulled out of aquifers for fracking may be permanently lost from that aquifer.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2016, 02:27:33 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Karrow View Post
Careful guys or we will be over in smoke, flames and gas. For the record I was talking about Colorado which has lots of water laws, most of them old. However the "lost forever" comments were coming out of the front range which is getting Californicated. I am glad to have left, the freedom of retirement is wonderful.
Colorado has reasonable water rules. Like what I am used to. Though Oregon is getting some crazy ideas. One is Rain belongs to the state, so you can not impound rain water. Funny if I get flooded by a big rain, they will not do anything, plus I get charged for rain water on my utility bill, or a Storm Drain Charge.

Running out of places for reasonable to move to. Maybe we should make them move!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:39:03 PM
Registered-III

Almost all states in the west use the "Prior Appropriations" method of water rights allocation, and have been doing so for 100+ years. Prior appropriations basically means that water rights (from say a stream or river) are first-come-first-serve. So if you acquired rights for 10 acre-feet of water/year before anyone else, you are guaranteed that 10 acre-feet - even if it means someone "downstream" of you doesn't get any water at all. While most eastern states tend to use "Riparian Water Rights", which basically means anyone with water on their property is entitled to use it, as long as they do so reasonably.

Like I said, these "crazy ideas" are not new. Most of these laws have been on the books for 100+ years. Some states - including Colorado (which you claim has reasonable rules) even has it baked into their state constitution that they own any and all water that hasn't been appropriated. This means the state of Colorado owns all of your rain water runoff.

There was an issue a few years ago in Oregon with a man who built huge ponds and dams that had over 40 acre-feet of water - which is over 13 million gallons. He was basically capturing all the runoff from his 170 acres of land, under the claim that it was "just rain water". The problem was that runoff would have went into a local creek, which feed a nearby river - which had appropriated water rights. That means he was essentially indirectly stealing water from someone who paid for the ability to use that water.

I just want to reiterate one more time - these laws are not new. They've been in existence for hundreds of years in the United States. However, these laws rarely get enforced until we start running into water shortages. Which is what is happening now in the west. When we have excess water, the laws don't need to be enforced, and people tend to forget these laws even existed in the first place.

Managing and regulating water is very tricky and difficult, and there is no set of rules that will keep everyone satisfied.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lead Head For This Post: