Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

New Member, probably again

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 536 times

Old 12-01-2016, 09:40:50 PM
Registered

Default New Member, probably again

Hello.
It has been about 15 years since I have played with old engines. I think I was a member back then. It is time for one more engine. I played with a few farm engines then decided to find a marine engine to rebuild and then build a boat to suit. I got a Kermath 4-5 engine that I rebuilt and then built a boat for it. Kind of an old style picnic boat with bench seating. That was around 1998 so I don't have a lot of digital pics to share. I know there is a pic of the engine on a site. The engine is blue, 2 cylinder and the surrounding area is white oak with a light stain and varnished. I sold the boat in 2001 on ebay. I think it went to the east coast.
I want to build another boat. As impractical as it sounds I want to build a rear wheel paddle wheeler. 25'-30'. I'm not sure if I can scale one down to that size and still have it look ok. That is a discussion for another forum...
I am looking for a powerplant for the boat. Not steam. It doesn't have to be a marine engine but I am looking for a 2-4 cylinder relatively slow turning engine to be linked through a number of linkages, gearboxes, pulleys, chains to the paddle wheel.
To me the journey is as enjoyable as the destination so looking for and procuring an engine is as much fun as rebuilding and restoring. I know I will need help finding an engine and then a lot more help getting it going.
That's enough for now.
Ron
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kermath For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2016, 11:06:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,901 Times in 3,338 Posts
Default Re: New Member, probably again

Welcome Aboard (or Back Aboard) the Stak.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:19:46 AM
Registered

Thank you. I should also mention that I have quite a bit of Kermath Marine Engine literature if anyone needs some info. Ron
Old 12-02-2016, 12:14:34 PM
Registered-I

I've seen boats like what you'd like to build, from one a little larger than a 4x8 sheet of plywood, up to ones closer to what you'd like to build. They had all sorts of different types of linkages and reductions - the smallest one was powered by a little B&S (the boy who built it had a chair that would fit over the engine, with the exhaust going out away from the side of his boat) which went into a small riding lawnmower transmission (F/N/R) via a belt clutch and then chain drive (with huge reduction) to the paddle wheel. The bigger ones varied, from cranks on the paddle wheel driven by shafts, which were in turn driven by a (hidden) engine and transmission, to massive chain reduction drives (didn't see the engines).

There might be plans available somewhere. I think I remember reading about one with plans in Popular Mechanics many years ago (like back in the 60s or 70s).