Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Liability Insurance

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 1153 times

Old 12-09-2016, 08:39:48 PM
Registered

Default Liability Insurance

For those of you who own and run threshing machines at shows, what sort of coverage if any do you have? I have never given thought to personal liability insurance when showing tractors or my small engine collection but with the extreme danger of a thresher and the number of people required to operate a rig I'm having concerns.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2016, 11:00:49 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: liability insurance

We run our husker shredder and a sheller at our local show and they carry the insurance, I am pretry sure that is the case most everywhere but check where you intend to show.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:31:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,210 Times in 1,330 Posts

In most cases you can get a rider or umbrella on your homeowners policy. One important issue though is to see what your limits of liability are. I'd recommend you try to get at least $1,000,000.

Some policies are $300,000 or $500,000 which won't be sufficient should the worst happen. An individual getting an arm badly mangled in a piece of old equipment can pass the $300K mark in medical bills pretty fast.

Limits of Liability can also be an issue for insurance provided by a club or show. I've often heard people say "my club has insurance so I'm covered" and used to be somewhat content with that thinking myself. That's true up to the limits of the club's policy. If the club has a $500K limit and someone is injured and has $700K in medical bills, you could be liable for the $200K.

Sadly, these are all things we need to take into consideration when we exhibit the old iron.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to LCJudge For This Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 10:05:29 AM
Registered-I

"Limits of Liability can also be an issue for insurance provided by a club or show."

You need to check with the host club on who's covered on their policy. Usually their policy covers the club and officers from any damages caused by you and does not cover you. You need your own insurance,
The Following User Says Thank You to gdstew For This Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 11:01:06 AM
Registered-III

I handle the insurance on two clubs I belong to, I deal with the agents and try and get the most coverage for the best value. There are some good points here. The long and short of it is it is your equipment and you are responsible for it. If the club has coverage That is great. But I would advise you to have some of your own. If there is a loss and a lawyer gets involved they will put everyone on notice, the club and you as they hope to recover from all possible groups.
Some clubs require you become a member for the show show so that you are covered by their policy. Some you are on your own. Some policy's will cover your equipment while doing a demo at the show. I said demo, not just joy riding.
The two I work with offer members to be added to the policy for a additional fee. Then it only covers you at the address listed on the policy and for the dates listed.
Something I see coming down the pike is the shows having to have you list your insurance when you sign in. Most do this now with golf carts. Some states do not require insurance, but do require you to sign a Proof of Responsibility saying that you will be responsible for any damage you or your display causes.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:03:21 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,147 Times in 2,184 Posts
Default Re: Liability Insurance

This issue has been quietly ignored by most of us exhibiters for decades. But it is also a major reason many of us really limit the events that we exhibit at. Some folks have been having private showings of their collections and events by invitation only to limit exposure to liability from the general public.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 06:05:49 PM
Registered

Thanks for the opinions so far, I am a member of our club and we do have club insurance but what the coverage is I don't know. I was mainly wondering how many take out their own coverage regardless of club insurance and if so where you got it and how much per year it is. I would only be at the one show, this threshing machine is stored on the grounds and I don't intend to transport it.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:09:25 PM
Subscriber

Can you sue the parents that don't watch their children for child neglect and child endangerment to cover your losses? Just wondering.....
Insurance and attorneys suck....If someone does something stupid, you should be aloud to poke them in there injuries just to remind them.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:15:41 AM
Registered-I

Tim B--

I think that falls under the term "attractive nuisance", such as a kid falls out of your tree, or you didn't lock the fence around your swimming pool. How irresponsible of you! It seems people like, and get away with blaming everybody but themselves. In today's society, you better "idiot proof" your display or you just might end up in court. There are a lot of stupid people out there, and the courts are out to protect them from us.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:39:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,210 Times in 1,330 Posts

Not all lawyers are rotten.....but some are and they make up for the good ones.

Terry Welch said:
.......If there is a loss and a lawyer gets involved they will put everyone on notice, the club and you as they hope to recover from all possible groups....

Yes, the shotgun approach is often taken. Sue everyone you can (including the guy who mowed the grass at the showgrounds) and hopefully someone will have a policy (or assets) that will pay. I've seen a lot of it and its not pleasant to see folks who are removed from the situation become involved.

But, as I've said before in other posts on this forum and others, the ONLY way a person can sue you and get big bucks from your insurance or from you is if a jury awards it. Any who composes juries? You, your family, your neighbors, etc, etc.

I have, on many occasions heard jurors leave the courthouse and make comments such as "well, it didn't cost him anything, the insurance had to pay it". Let me tell you, this thinking costs us all!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LCJudge For This Post:
Old 12-11-2016, 10:42:33 AM
Registered-I

I carry a $1M umbrella above and beyond my regular policy. Most shows have insurance to cover the club but most of them do not, I REPEAT, DO NOT cover the members or exhibitors. Some clubs will provide coverage while doing a demonstration, but as stated before not while on a joyride. The fact is you need insurance!! Another thing to keep in mind is that you can reduce your risk by being very cautious. Keep an eye on spectators, many appear to be ignorant of the dangers, take precautions to ensure that people will not be injured. Set brakes, leave in gear, disable ignition, lower implements, put up caution tape around moving displays, you know basic common sense in a world where it seems to be lacking.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:32:51 PM
Subscriber

I was required to show a certificate of insurance in order in order to operate our 1950's era McDonough Model T car at the Baraboo, WI show this year. It caught me by surprise but my agent was able to send it to my phone which I dutifully held up to show to the 80 something year old woman working the registration desk. She squinted at it and pronounced all was well. I was covered under homeowners but even adding a short term rider is pretty inexpensive. For what it costs vs getting sued it's well worth the phone call or two.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:01:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,480 Times in 4,191 Posts

Want you all to know that we do not have an very good thoughts with Insurance companys.

There is an old Dutch saying about this.

An child can bring mony towards Insurance company’s (so easy it is to bring them the mony).

But when they have to pay out the mony then you need an hole army to take them there mony off.

They always hidding themselfs between the small letters to pay short as possible.

I only know one good story about them and that is when my grandfather lost his farm in the crisis in the 30.
He had help from the Insurance company NV. St Petrus.
Now all the farmers arround my father lost there farm but he was the only one that coult have it back from the same Insurance company after the crisis and jumped good out of it.

This Insurance company sadly does not exist anymore.

The rest we are dealing with now are crooks and thieves.

Sinds 1987 we are in court fights with them about huge spray damage cases and everytime they are fighting them almost dead on these cases.

In 1992 they had to pay almost 100 thousend gulders only on the laywer and court costs of 7 years of court fights.

Then in 1992 it happened again and they had to pay again.

Now we are sitting in it again sinds 2013.

We are already running thru our court Insurance limit on 50 thousend Euro.

And sure they are going to pay this no mather if i have to court fight for the rest of my life against them...

The High court Amsterdam have finaly already started to turn last spring.
An govrnement official must be brought in now to doing to procedure testing our plant on the chemicals that we found if they realy going dead.

I had an lot to do with Insurance companys and everytime the same storys they are lairs and they never want to pay....

But they are going to pay no mather and how long it wil take.

Last edited by Brothers Clemens; 12-14-2016 at 04:23:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 12-15-2016, 02:08:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,480 Times in 4,191 Posts

About that old and early Insurance company that saved our family farm in the crisis from the 30’s and haystakfire where even the hole farm was burned down including the family dog and an huge flood in WWII and many times been bombed with an importand bridge head laying next to it..

Here i still have an old reminder of this one and only good Insurance company that we ever had.

It is an old ashtray with an rock in the sea.

They used and rock in the sea/ocean as there company logo.
They where realy an rock in the ocean for my Grandfather.

Other then the Insurance company’s are now these days......

The company must have been gone already in the 60’s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	043.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	270321  
Old 12-29-2016, 08:38:48 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,089 Posts

Do you know how to tell the difference between a dead attorney and a dead skunk on the highway?
... there'll be skid marks in front of the skunk!

Honestly I have dealt with a couple of good insurance companies, and a few really bad ones too.