Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin single cylinder engine from a Yazoo YR60 mower.

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 655 times

Old 12-18-2016, 09:11:07 PM
Registered

Default Wisconsin single cylinder engine from a Yazoo YR60 mower.

Hello everyone! I just signed up to this forum in hopes of getting some technical information regarding my Yazoo's Wisconsin motor. I recently bought a place with 3 acres and needed a lawn tractor for mowing, i have never owned anything quite like the yazoo, and i really enjoy it. Mine is belt driven circa 1974 which means it out dates me by nearly a decade!

I have had it for 2 seasons of mowing. i have striped it down and cleaned it up, as well as a lot of maintenance, tires, belts, blades, adjusted the clutches, etc...

Out of nowhere the mower seemed to lose a lot of power. It has started struggling up going up slight hills, and seems slower in general. I am familiar with V8's, motorcycles and aircraft (16 year Air Force mechanic) but air cooled motors are new to me..... but i hear they're easy!

I have no idea how many folks have owned/tinkered on this mower, if i can fix the motor fairly cheap and easy, that would be great. otherwise i have read that folks have swapped the wisconsins out for kohlers and similiar. I am open to either option....the cheaper one!

I am not sure if this is a transmission issue, or engine issue. the engine revs up to speed and mows great, it just struggles going up hills YET the blades never slow down, just the forward momentum.

sorry for the novel, lmk which direction i should look towards in fixing this thing. i got about 3 months till mowing starts again in North-central Indiana, i am hoping to make a winter project out of this.

Thanks guys!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bolt-on-bandito For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2016, 12:34:59 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wisconsin single cylinder engine from a Yazoo YR60 mower. FIRST POST

Hi, welcome to the stak! That is a nice looking Yazoo YR-60 mower Your machine has a 12.5hp Wisconsin AGND engine for power. I have two AGND's, both off Yazoo mowers. It sounds like the issue you are having is within the hydrostatic transmission. Have you checked how tight your drive belt is? If you can verify that the belt is not slipping, I would suspect that the hydrostatic transmission or control lever might need some attention. It may need a fluid change, might need some valve adjustment, might need some bearings...It is an older machine, but a good one at that. I've heard nothing but great things about Yazoo mowers, and wish I had one myself. I suspect someone on here has rebuilt those hydrostatic transmissions and can further help you out.

I noticed in your last picture that the shroud on the top of your engine is missing. You need to reinstall it back on your engine. Without it, the cooling air will not be forced through the fins on the cylinder head. You will burn up your engine if you do not have all of the shrouds in place. If you have run it for a long time like that, I suspect the valves are now far out of adjustment. I also noticed you have an external coil on your engine. The points/condenser/cap and coils are readily available for the factory Wico magneto. For now you can keep the battery/coil ignition, but you should move the coil. Mount it on the frame, not on the engine. Too much heat, especially from the hot cylinder and air blowing over it will fry that coil in no time.

Chris
Old 12-19-2016, 07:32:02 AM
Registered

Default Re: Wisconsin single cylinder engine from a Yazoo YR60 mower. FIRST POST

I also have a ANDG rebuilt it 11 years ago great engine. Mine was missing the tin on the head also but was able to make one it's a must have to keep the head cool. I don't have a coil but I would move that one away from the heat of the engine. Nice mower.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:05:29 AM
Registered-I

good day, when you move your forward ,neut,reverse lever, does it have a snap over center feel to it? if it does not, you either have the clutches adjusted to tight or not enough. there is a very fine line to be correct. I drained & flushed trans on my mower. refilled with universal tractor fluid, really helped the metal clutches.

---------- Post added at 08:05:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04:06 AM ----------

ps: keep the AGND, it is a torque monster
Old 12-19-2016, 01:50:19 PM
Registered-I

Sounds like slipping clutches.
Did you open up the transaxle and adjust the ones in there? (PITA)
Good info on Google about how to do that and parts are still available.

Keep the Wisconsin, no matter what !!! With proper care and an occasional ring/valve job, Wisconsins run forever.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:16:02 PM
Registered

thanks guys for all of the replies.

1) I do have the cowling for the top, I just thought it looked cooler without it. i'll clean it up/bolt it on.

2) I can move the coil, I just have it there because I only had one really short spark plug wire with that configuration

3) As for the trans, i adjusted it, and it seemed to get better, but because originally it would not stay in drive very long. once adjusted it would have a "enagaged" feel and stay in drive.this lasted maybe 20 hours of mowing. It no longer does that and it slips out of drive alot. ....does it need adjusted again?

how should i check the engine? a leak down test?
Old 12-19-2016, 09:05:34 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt-on-bandito View Post
how should i check the engine? a leak down test?
Why? You say it mows fine and the blades do not slow down. Sounds from that that the engine is fine. Am I missing something?
Old 12-19-2016, 11:00:17 PM
Registered-I

bandito:

If you're just determined to get a new engine, I'll be happy to give the Wisconsin a new home.
But everything you say still points to the transaxle/clutches.
The clutch for reverse should have far less wear than the forward clutch, so if it pulls OK, you've isolated the problem. Or, maybe both clutches are tired, but checking the performance while backing up is a place to start.
Here's a link to download the manual for your machine (free).

---------- Post added at 10:00:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57:51 PM ----------

OK. Here's that link:

http://schuurmansfarmsupply.com/wp-c...LERYT-10HD.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 10:36:29 AM
Registered

thank you guys. I am not determined to swap motors....i like the Wisconsin, i have just heard that the wisconsin is really costly to repair. is that true?

it does work much better in revers. does that mean i should tear it apart and reverse the clutches?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:39:47 AM
Registered

Is it a simple as taking the transmission apart and flipping it around?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:30:00 AM
Registered-III

Rebuilding or finding parts for your Wisconsin AGND is not terribly difficult nor expensive. The AGND was a popular workhorse of an engine in the 1960's and 70's. Most were found on Yazoo and Kut-Kwik mowers. I have seen a fair share of them on Ditch-Witch/Charles Machine Works/Bus Brown trenchers, pumps and generators. I have an AGND on my cub cadet 125, it does a hell of a job blowing snow. It is a torque monster, and down right reliable. You wont find a heavier duty gasoline engine in that size package. Wisconsin parts are not that expensive, but expensive is a relative word. It really comes down to how you define "repair". It is pretty easy to spend a thousand dollars rebuilding a single cylinder thumper when you go the whole 9 yards; boring the cylinder, replacing valve guides/valves/seats, flycutting the cylinder jug and head, turning the crank, replacing the main bearings, rebuilding the magneto, rebuilding the carburetor, pounding out dents, sealing the gas tank, stripping/sandblasting/hot tanking/priming and painting the engine. I have seen a lot of "restored" Wisconsin engines that look like hell, run like crap, leak everywhere and are missing a ton of parts. I personally like my engines 100% complete and correct through and through. Wisconsin used to advertise on their packaging, Wisconsin engines demand Wisconsin parts. It is good that alot of inferior aftermarket parts are not available for them. You can make one right as rain, it just costs you. The way I see it, even spending $500 on a full engine overhaul will get you a hell of a lot better engine than what $500 might buy you today. A brand new Honda will wear out long before that old Wisconsin will. When your engine is right, it will start in less than three flips of the crank hot or cold. If you are good, you can get it to start on one flip everytime. With an electric start setup, you have all of that work already cut out for you. Even the Prestolite MBG starter brushes are still readily available. The hardest engine part to find is likely new old stock regulator/rectifiers for the flywheel alternator, but even those can be had if you look hard enough.

Chris
Old 01-03-2017, 08:21:17 PM
Registered

Thank you for the reply. I am not opposed to spending a few hundred on it, mine has lots of parts missing, but for the most part it seems intact. I do not have a charging system on mine so I just charge the battery every other missing. Mine fires up well, it just struggles up my hill and I'd slower lately. I have started using 93+ octane, considering the BS ethanol content I can not avoid, I have also found the head shroud everyone was recommending I reinstall.

Should I try to disassemble the transmission and flip the fwd and rev clutches?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:57:45 PM
Registered

Can anyone answer my question about the clutches? Can they be flipped over, or reversed?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:16:30 PM
Registered-I

Without knowing the internal condition of the existing two clutches, any recommendation here would be no more than a wild-ass guess.
Pull the tranny, open it up and do a full diagnosis of what's wrong.
You may discover that you can fix it without help.
If not, at least you will have better defined the problem so that others can help.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:06:30 PM
Registered

I want to tear this thing apart, but i am on a military deployment, and will not be home until end of Feburary, whoich gives me enough time to fix it before mowing season starts, but not a lot of time if I have to order/wait on parts.

I adjusted the clutches and it was a real pain working thru the little hole on top, it was much faster afterwards, and the gear selector stayed in drive. last time i used it, it would pop out of drive quite a bit. I am honestly not sure how much adjustment those clutches have left.

Does anyone know where i can buy clutches in the event i need them?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:40:23 PM
Registered-I

Yazoo parts are nearly impossible to find, so I have tracked down the company that supplied the clutches to Yazoo. I have never had dealings with them, but the link below shows a parts breakdown identical to the one in your Yazoo manual.

http://www.dynaformtech.com/products...tch-parts.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post: