Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

Superior 25hp

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 708 times

Old 01-01-2017, 12:23:17 PM
Subscriber

Default Superior 25hp

I just got this big fellow running. I don't know much of the history of this engine. What I have been able to glean from searching this forum is that it was rebuilt by a machine shop before Aug. 2009. A Stak member from Iowa bought it and then discovered it had a cracked EX. box. About a year later I found a post by the same gentleman that was about welding the crack in the EX. box up with some rod he called Muggy weld, he was very impressed with how well it worked. I will have to say that after inspecting the valve box I was also impressed with what a fine job was done.
After the crack was repaired I believe the engine has been thru 2 or more other owners.
It has taken a while to sort things out and get it running. I found the EX. cam was out of time by 2 teeth, and getting the gas system dialed in has been a little hard on my OLD back.
I have a video of the engine running slow for the first time that I have had it. hope ya like it!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwyoeYHncMM&t=1s
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 09:45:59 AM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Superior 25hp

Update on my engine history research
Seems as though this engine was retrieved from an oil lease in Ohio in the 1970s.
It has been to MN. IA. MO. and now IN.
There have been at LEAST 7 owners now and 3 of the owners never had it running.
It has a NOS cylinder and piston. New valves. New rings and bearings. The governor was rebuilt.
There are still some holes in my research history but at least I now know it worked an oil lease in OH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25 HP Superior a.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	271732   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-010S.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	271734  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tyrion For This Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 06:51:43 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Superior 25hp

That's cool that you were able to find out some history on that engine! Seems like you've got it running pretty well. congrats!

conrad
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53:53 AM
Registered-II

What is the serial number of your engine?
I have a 25hp Type C #23939.

Bob
WB8NQW
Old 01-05-2017, 04:07:19 PM
Subscriber

Howdy, I might offer what I know so as to add to your history. I had originally negotiated with HP in Iowa about buying the 25 from him. He was the man who did the restoration and made the crank/ splash guard on the back. He painted it and had the decals made. Next thing I know, I think TN owned it. TN may have lived in Indiana. I don't remember anymore. I sold him the screen cooler and delivered it to him up at Le sueur, some years ago. I had brought that screen cooler home from Coolsprings one year. It looks real good behind your 25. Next thing I knew, CB was the owner, I think he is in Missouri. I'm glad to know where it is today. You have it dialed in really well. It looks and runs beautifully. Thanks for sharing the pics. Leonard

P/S: What shows might we see it at?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:19:42 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willman View Post
What is the serial number of your engine?
I have a 25hp Type C #23939.

Bob
WB8NQW
Bob
It would be 22846
Randall

---------- Post added at 10:19:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Fausset View Post
Howdy, I might offer what I know so as to add to your history. I had originally negotiated with HP in Iowa about buying the 25 from him. He was the man who did the restoration and made the crank/ splash guard on the back. He painted it and had the decals made. Next thing I know, I think TN owned it. TN may have lived in Indiana. I don't remember anymore. I sold him the screen cooler and delivered it to him up at Le sueur, some years ago. I had brought that screen cooler home from Coolsprings one year. It looks real good behind your 25. Next thing I knew, CB was the owner, I think he is in Missouri. I'm glad to know where it is today. You have it dialed in really well. It looks and runs beautifully. Thanks for sharing the pics. Leonard

P/S: What shows might we see it at?
Thank you Leonard! Now I know were the screen cooler came from!
I was searching the ofes for Superior info and found a post with pics that was by HP. I sent him a e-mail and we ended up talking at length about the engine. Super nice gentleman!
I doubt I will be able to show it in 2017. I have been working for bridge contractors running cranes and pickers, diving pile, setting forms, and steel. We work a lot of Hrs. in the summer months so it makes it hard to take time off to go to many shows. But there is a light in the end of that tunnel, and that is 2017 is my last year to work, then I retire and can get to going to some shows