Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

32 volt motors

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 468 times

Old 01-06-2017, 08:53:40 PM
Subscriber

Default 32 volt motors

I have recently rescued 2-32 Volt DC motors. One is a Primrose from International Harvester I think from a cream separator. The other one the tag is partially missing. Any advice on restoring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0011.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	271863   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0012.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	271864   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0013.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	271865  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2017, 02:40:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,084 Posts
Default Re: 32 volt motors

My opinion on restoring.... Disassemble and separate any bearings, soak the rest in water several hours. Agitate. Rinse and repeat. Don't use solvents as they might damage varnish insulation. Let air dry for several days in very warm area, such as over or by a heat duct. Scotchbrite commutators being careful of connecting wire area. Treat commutator with very light coat of cramolin (deoxit) paste. Soak bearings in solvent and make sure to wash out any dirt. Dry with compressed air and lube. Reassemble and test.
Doc
Old 01-07-2017, 11:02:05 AM
Subscriber

Nice find you lucky dog! Your suppose to use a commutator stone to clean the commutator, but I don't have any so I just use sandpaper. DO NOT use emery paper! Remove the brush and lay the paper over the commutator to clean. then reverse the paper and seat in the brushes. I got this from one of my original lightplant booklettes. I talked to a guy in a motor shop that told me they pressure wash motors and bake them afterwards to dry them. I cant remember at what temperature though. Wasn't much, I can find out Monday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim B For This Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 12:33:06 PM
Subscriber

What you need now is a power supply. I built one using a 7.5 amp variac , a full wave rectifier . and necessary meters. If I built another one I would use a 15 amp variac. See pics.*** http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...t=74918&page=2 ***Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 12:34:22 PM
Registered-I

The advice given by Doc seems sound. If possible use deionised water (Reverse osmosis or distilled); no dissolved salts present. An alternative is a small steam cleaner often sold for domestic cleaning. Still need to dry it out very thoroughly.

Avoid any silicone based solvents as they do not play nicely with commutation conditions.

Make notes of any connections, I guess these motors are simple shunt wound devices.

Carefully measure the field coil resistances both for continuity and to frame. Don't use a high voltage insulation tester. Check the armature from commutator segment to segment, adjacent ones and work round. Check the commutator to shaft. Do these tests before and after your restoration.

A coat of new electrical varnish is always a good idea once it is all sparkling clean.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Radiomike For This Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 08:21:20 PM
Subscriber

What is cramolin paste? And what is used for? Where can it be purchased? What is electrical varnish? I am planning to run motors with a stearns light plant. Thanks for all the help
Old 01-07-2017, 09:07:22 PM
Registered-III

Not sure about cramolin paste........but red, spray-on varnish it readily available on Ebay among other sources.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Andreasen For This Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 11:19:11 PM
Registered-I

Electrical varnish is available, I bought some at my local paint store. I expect the original colour was however probably black. If you get some, and a local rewind shop may give you some, make sure it is "air drying" type.

This is just one supplier http://www.electro-wind.com/dolph-sp...can-449-g.html

One further point, the commutator has lots of individual segments, separated by insulation often mica based. It is important that any debris is removed from the gap between each segment. A scrub with some electrical solvent and a toothbrush is a good start. Sometimes the mica is flush but most often it is slightly undercut. A glass fibre commutator stick is a good tool to use on the surface. The operation of the commutator and brushes depends on a patina developing on the current carrying part of the commutator. A clean surface is needed but not necessarily a mirror finish.

http://www.anglocarbon.com/acatalog/...eequipment.htm

Also what were the two field coils in one of the photographs, they looked to be from a bigger unit?

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Radiomike For This Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 10:59:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanks for the advice. I think the other field coils are from a Stearns light plant dynamo. I salvaged the light plant from the same building. The previous owner was a salesman for Stearns, Hope to find more artifacts and infor on this company.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:12:18 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyes View Post
What is cramolin paste? And what is used for? Where can it be purchased? What is electrical varnish? I am planning to run motors with a stearns light plant. Thanks for all the help
Cramolin, now renamed Deoxid, is the finest contact treatment in existence. Thinner versions are used to treat potentiometers and contacts. Here's a link to makers store. I still have a small quantity of the paste from back in the eighties. I use it on flashlight battery contacts. Read application info on site. http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/.f
Doc

Sigh... Looks like they discontued most their specialty lubes. Their Fader Grease is as close as they still make. Sad.. they used to offer grease with copper dust and the like.

Last edited by Thaumaturge; 01-08-2017 at 02:23:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thaumaturge For This Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 09:28:19 PM
Subscriber

Would dielectric grease be similar to Cramolin , it is used on electronic ignition systems on automobiles? I have used it on electrical connections subject to water and salt trying to prevent corrosion.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:24:02 PM
Registered-III

Hey, wait a second............so Deoxit is actually what you're after? It should be available at any electrical supply or big box store for coating spliced wire. It was really popular when the shortcomings of aluminum wire were discovered.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:38:42 PM
Subscriber

Similar, yes. But couldn't attest to it's effectivness like I'm able to with Cramolin. Myself I would probably just use a drop of R-5 Deoxid (Cramolin). The way it works is that it is specifically formulated not to stick to itself very well. It has 1 x 10^12 Ohms/cm resistance, but under contact pressure it reduces to a monomolecular thickness, making that resistance virtually nonexistent. In the meantime it protects contacts from oxidizing. MARVELOUS stuff! I've been using it since it was recomended to me by the John Fluke company back in the early eighties for contact treatment on one of their AC voltage calibrators. I bought an engineering kit then which also included a tin of their heavier grease. The R-5 (Red) is the ONLY thing I've ever seen that would clean up a position potentiometer on an analog oscilloscope. I last used it on all the slide pots and contacts on my Nakamici 1000 tape deck. Nothing better that I know of.
Doc
Old 01-09-2017, 09:24:05 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
Similar, yes. But couldn't attest to it's effectivness like I'm able to with Cramolin. Myself I would probably just use a drop of R-5 Deoxid (Cramolin). The way it works is that it is specifically formulated not to stick to itself very well. It has 1 x 10^12 Ohms/cm resistance, but under contact pressure it reduces to a monomolecular thickness, making that resistance virtually nonexistent. In the meantime it protects contacts from oxidizing. MARVELOUS stuff! I've been using it since it was recomended to me by the John Fluke company back in the early eighties for contact treatment on one of their AC voltage calibrators. I bought an engineering kit then which also included a tin of their heavier grease. The R-5 (Red) is the ONLY thing I've ever seen that would clean up a position potentiometer on an analog oscilloscope. I last used it on all the slide pots and contacts on my Nakamici 1000 tape deck. Nothing better that I know of.
Doc
I think you fellas are sorting this out, I have used this Deoxid paste on electrical connections before and it seems to work well in preventing oxidation of aluminum connections. It should also help in vintage wiring as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noyes For This Post: