Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

Malleable iron or cast iron

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 458 times

Old 01-08-2017, 09:50:36 PM
Registered

Default Malleable iron or cast iron

I am looking for wagon steps for horse drawn wagons. Ebay has many but most are listed as cast iron steps. My book of historic horse drawn wagon hardware shows steps of steel and malleable iron. No cast iron. I suspect the "antique" wagon steps listed on Ebay are incorrectly labeled as cast iron and are probably malleable iron or steel but I am not sure. I don't know how to tell the difference in a photo of malleable or cast iron. Were any historic wagon steps make of cast iron? I think they would be too brittle to support a sudden thrust of a heavy person jumping up or down on a step. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2017, 01:01:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,316 Posts
Default Re: Malleable iron or cast iron

I know nothing at all about antique wagons....but, I would have to agree that the steps you see advertised on ebay and other sites, if they are truly vintage steps, are made of malleable iron. CI would snap too easily, especially if someone weighing 250 plus jumped on them at 10 degree temps.....Its virtually impossible to tell the difference just by eye or a photo if something is Cast Iron or Malleable Iron.
The Following User Says Thank You to LCJudge For This Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 01:16:04 AM
Registered-II

Well, the only clue is that very small sections can be cast in malleable iron, which is white iron as cast. Gray iron, commonly known as 'cast iron', is generally somewhat thicker and will not flow as well as the white iron. Fluidity differences are about all the visible clues you will have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Rock For This Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 05:07:25 PM
Registered-I

There is a slight difference in the spark. Need to do it in a dark room and have samples of cast, at least, to compare to There's not a lot of difference but the malleable spark is slightly longer with less bursts.
The Following User Says Thank You to tdmidget For This Post: