Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

IHC 2 hole Corn Sheller information?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2250 times

Old 10-16-2007, 11:20:48 AM
Registered

Default IHC 2 hole Corn Sheller information?

Hi everyone. This is my first post here on SmokStak after having lurked for a while. I have an old IHC, 2 hole corn sheller that was my grandfathers that I am looking into restoring that is in pretty sad shape. I am looking for all and any information that I can get on it such as a parts book or manual or someone who has worked on one like it in the past and can tell me information on it. Mine looks good from a distance but up close everything is froze solid from sitting outside for 37 plus years and there are rust/wear holes in the sides. I have been told that it is a pretty rare sheller these days. Maybe I am nuts for wanting to fix it up but I managed to save it from the scrap man many years ago. I restored an old JD running gear and hand crank hoist that was my grandfathers and also have on old corn binder and 2 row planter that was his that someday I also want to restore.

Hope my pictures show up...

Thanks

Wil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corn sheller.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	24614   Click image for larger version

Name:	corn sheller 2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	24615  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2007, 08:21:37 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: IHC 2 hole Corn Sheller information?

What you have is referred to as the "XL Corn Sheller" built by IHC from 1926-1937. They are certainly more rare than the other 2 hole shellers. I had one of these that I was going to try and restore, but it was too far gone. I tried heat, PB blaster, pipe wrenches, everything. Every single shaft was frozen tight, all the sheet metal was bad, 3 gears were broken or missing, and the flywheel was bent badly.

I do have a master parts catalogue that covers all of the steel corn shellers, including the XL. If you need scans of the pages, I can try to email them to you. Something you may not know is that the chain sprocket directly above the flywheel shaft not only served as a chain tensioner for the chain that drives the cob elevator, but you could also use that pulley and extend the chain to drive a sacking elevator. This elevator was the only part of my sheller that I was able to save. I'm planning on getting it back together (only need to make the flight paddles and the sheet metal leg sections) on my IHC one-hole sheller.

It appears that the only part you are missing is the large gear that drives the stripper wheels off of the flywheel shaft (under the gear guard). Good luck finding that! Again, if you need any info, just let me know!

Jeb
Old 10-16-2007, 10:59:07 PM
Registered

Hi Jeb,

Just came back in from looking at my sheller after reading your post. Yep, I now see/know what I am missing, not good. I take it that it may be impossible to find that gear or something that I can use in its place? So was that one of the gears that was missing on yours also? I guess I am feeling kind of discouraged now but I am interested in the scans out of your manual of this particular sheller if it wouldn't be to big of a hassle.

Thanks

Wil
Old 10-17-2007, 06:15:17 AM
Registered-III

Don't get discouraged. I ended up having to scrap mine because it was so bad. I would have had to drill out all of the shafts from the bearings and gears and refabricate all of the sheet metal on mine in addition to finding all of the lost/broken gears. Yours looks nearly complete except for that large gear behind the flywheel and the hand crank which has a gear built into it. These shellers were so large that you'd probably want to power it with an engine anyways.

Put out some wanted ads here on Harry's. The information that I got all came from Harry's so there are a couple of people out here that have them. One may have parts as well. That gear was not on my sheller as it had broken off so I could not salvage it. Don't get me wrong, you have some work cut out for you just in replicating the sheet metal sides that are rusted through (as most of them are), but I think you might be able to do some research and find a new gear for your sheller. If you can determine the pitch diameter and number of teeth (use the smaller gear to find out what the pitch is), then you might be able to get a gear manufacturer to make you a new gear. All is not lost, but you will need patience in trying to free everything up. Use lots of PB Blaster and maybe even some heat. Those little sheet metal bearings for the cob elevator are kinda flimsy so don't twist and torque on them too hard or the centers will spin out from the sheet metal and the bearing will be damaged.

Jeb
Old 10-17-2007, 06:22:02 AM
Registered-III

Don't get discouraged, restoring shellers can be fun and take a long time to find parts. Watch Ebay, talk to neighbors (found a gear for a #2 John Deere within a mile and a half of my place) and attend some farm sales. You never know when or where it will turn up.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:01:00 PM
Subscriber

I know this is old but does anyone personally know Will? He hasn't been active in years and I'd like to ask him about this sheller.