Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Macleod Hi_Capacity Grinder No114

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 6883 times

Old 05-21-2008, 09:50:50 PM
Subscriber

Default Macleod Hi_Capacity Grinder No114

Picked up one of these machines, does anyone know what exactly they are made to grind?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0011.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	34073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	34074   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0013.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	34075   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0016.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	34076  

Last edited by Robt.; 05-21-2008 at 11:13:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2008, 12:44:27 AM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Macleod Hi_Capacity Grinder No114

Hi Robt. I guess that just came from Bragg Creek recently ?
It's a grain grinder and can be used to grind clean grain into flour (wheat) or kernels into cornmeal or oats for oatmeal, for example. It would have found good use on a hog farm, say, grinding stuff up for feed. You will also hear these being referred to as grain mills or feed mills. Yours is missing a big hopper that would have sat on top of the aperture for the blades/burrs/plates. The older hoppers were made of wood and switched to tin later on. See attached pics of two Massey-Harris grinders. The "newer" one is from 1947.

-Andrew....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grinder1947-4.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	34077   Click image for larger version

Name:	GrinderSIZE8-1.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	34078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grinder1947-3hoppertop.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	34079  
Old 05-22-2008, 05:32:33 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Macleod Hi_Capacity Grinder No114

Yep, your typical (more or less) feed grinder used for making animal feed (cows, pigs, chickens, sheep, goats, etc). That is yet another brand that I had not seen before until now, thanks for sharing! Looks like someone took the front cover off and bolted it back on 90 degrees off; the spout should open towards the ground or at least the other side. Usually they open towards the ground.

Andrew: I just got a parts manual for the Massey-Harris grinder like you have. Does yours have 10-1/2" or 12" plates? And that's a nice little Vessot grinder you have there. The makings of a nice little Canadian built grinder collection!

Jeb
Old 05-23-2008, 03:03:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Andrew and Jeb! Ah, no - where is Bragg Creek!?

Say, is this unit any use for grinding grains for human consumption or only coarser grinds for animal feed? I see what you mean about the spout & hopper.

Are these still used, or pretty much a thing of the past?

Just wanted to save it from the shredder and the price was right... (free!)
Old 05-23-2008, 05:18:03 AM
Registered-III

Generally, these machines were intended for production of animal feeds. A few could be outfitted with special plates that could grind fine enough to produce corn meal or table flour but you would have to ask yourself if you really wanted to eat anything that came out of that machine. Spiders and other bugs like to make homes inside of machines like this when they are not being used and the rust that accumulates on the plates is also something less than desireable. This is less of a concern on stone grinders. Modern roller mills have steel rollers that could rust but they are used so often as to stay polished so rust is not a real concern. Also consider grease contamination as you most likely would not be using food-grade lubricants!

I use mine to grind chicken feed or bird feed at shows and make sure that people know the stuff is not really fit for human consumption.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:43:52 PM
Registered

I have a MacLeod's No 106 grinder and am looking for leads on finding burrs (5 7/8" OD) for it.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:47:20 PM
Registered-III

All I can say is good luck. You'll probably have to keep your eyes peeled at your local shows for some. On the upside, most of these plates will still grind even when they are nearly smooth so I wouldn't worry too much about wearing a set out. Even broken ones can be brazed back together quite easily and run for years. About the only grinders you find replacement plates for are the C.S. Bell, Letz, and IHC/McCormick-Deering units. Everything else is anybody's guess.

Do you have any pictures of your 106? I only have a manual that covers the No. 11 in 10 and 12" sizes. I see no mention of a 106. If you can send me a pic, I'll add it to my reference database. Thanks!

Jeb
Old 05-12-2009, 10:19:15 AM
Registered

Hi Guys,

New to the forum & am looking at a Macleod High Capacity Grinder No: 106 and was wondering if any of you had found a source for the grinding wheels as on the one I saw, the grinding wheels were badly corroded. Did not want to buy the thing (burried in the back of this guys yard that was full of junk..perls before swine?) if I can't clean it up or get new grinding wheels.

At the same time these are about as skookum built a machine as it comes. just beaut. and it did have a decent adjustment on the outermost grinding wheel (the inner one is fixed as the auger feeds through the centre of it), but if the grinding wheels are all corroded I'd not want to eat what comes out of it.

I had hoped to be able to use it for grinding grain for human consumption but I guess I will have to keep looking. Does anyone have any suggestions for a grain grinder, old style like in your grandfathers barn that I can run with a belt drive? I want something simple and built solidly like before the days of designed obsolenence.

Thanks!
Shane
Old 05-12-2009, 01:02:49 PM
Registered-III

The McCleod grinder was a feed grinder for use making animal feeds. Even if new, i wouldn't want to eat what would come out of it! As far as getting something that you can actually use and cook with, check out C.S. Bell for starters. You will find that their prices are quite high, but you can find their older units at swap meets and tractor shows for about 1/5 of the price of new and you can still get replacement parts! You can also find the Stover grinders (generally un-marked except for a "32" on the flywhee). The small David Bradley "Little Wonder" grinders would do pretty good as well, but would require more horsepower. Good luck!

Jeb
Old 12-28-2016, 11:57:57 AM
Registered

Hi Jeb,
Sorry to hijack your comment, but I have a MacLeod Hi cap grinder No.112 that I use for grinding feed for my critters as well. It works pretty well, but sometimes it confuses me when production slows right down for apparently no reason, without any engine rpm drop. It just doesn't seem to want to push the grain out between the plates, but rather back feed around the auger. But if I back off the wheel a bit, the kernel doesn't get ground properly. I've had it apart and cleaned it all out and my plates look OK. Everything is greased and running cool and smooth, but just wondering if there is tricks to these that I haven't figured out yet? I have had it for over a year, but without a manual, everything I know, I figured out myself. To be honest, the plate pressure adjustment kind of baffles me, still. I had it all apart, but I'm not sure how the weighted lever actually pushes on the rotating plate, unless it's with the pressure of the grease itself. I'm probably missing out on some knowledge. You seem very knowledgeable on these units. Any tips? Thank you for your time! Dan