Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors Weeden, Empire, Doll, Jensen, Wilesco, Mamod, Marklin

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors

Availability of Bing belts and parts...

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3912 times

Old 12-21-2008, 04:17:32 PM
Registered

Default Availability of Bing belts and parts...

My thanks to Jeff and Casey. My Dad's old steam toy is a Bing. Does anyone know of a good source for replacement belts? Also, is there an EASY way to fill the small triple wick burner?? I have a can marked 'Alcohol' that's very old. The fluid is clear . . . Any idea what type of fuel this is and where it can be purchased?? Thank you all!! --Paula
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2008, 04:36:08 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,862 Times in 913 Posts
Default Re: Availability of Bing belts and parts . . .

Denatured alcohol, available at any decent hardware or home improvement store. Usually found in the same section as paint thinner.

I'll defer to the experts on the belt. I believe they are typically a "spring" with the ends hooked together to form a belt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Monnier For This Post:
Old 12-21-2008, 06:39:58 PM
Registered

In england we can buy spare belts for both wilesco and mamod Another source that I have used, if you can find them, is to take them from old engine oil seals
The Following User Says Thank You to tony i For This Post:
Old 12-21-2008, 11:50:44 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula G View Post
My thanks to Jeff and Casey. My Dad's old steam toy is a Bing. Does anyone know of a good source for replacement belts? Also, is there an EASY way to fill the small triple wick burner?? I have a can marked 'Alcohol' that's very old. The fluid is clear . . . Any idea what type of fuel this is and where it can be purchased?? Thank you all!! --Paula
Hi Paula. One thing you can do for "belts" is to use 2.0 or 2.5 mm rubber o-ring material cut to length and super-glued together. Not sure about flat-belt material. For filling your burner, you might look for a Nalgene bottle with a needle tube to fill it.

Lyle
The Following User Says Thank You to LAKnox For This Post:
Old 12-24-2008, 04:02:35 PM
Subscriber

The burner you may take out a wick to fill it, and then place the wick back in the burner when it is filled. Dont fill it too much, otherwise when you light it and it heats up things will expand and you'll end up with a bit more flame than you'd like!!

Just call up Jensen at 1-800-525-5245 and you can order the spring type belts, and you can get them in 4.5" or 9" lengths. Since they have hooks on the ends you can add as many as you like together to get a certain length, or they can also be stretched slightly so they fit. Jensen is taking a holiday and wont be back at the factory till January 2nd.
Check out their website www.JensenSteamEngines.com
The Following User Says Thank You to CaseyJoeS. For This Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 09:48:48 PM
Registered

Where can I get parts for a toy steam engine made by Bing. I need the governor that has 2 balls. this machine I have is about 13 inches tall and has a cast iron door with the letters GBD on it.