Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

Help with large inline 8 cyldiner natural gas engine.

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 14147 times

Old 11-15-2010, 02:33:54 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,133 Times in 898 Posts
Default Re: Help with large inline 8 cyldiner natural gas engine.

Reed Engine may well be right (Sterling, not my typo Stirling, which is the hot air engine)...
First, in 1919, Erie Foundry Co, "...in addition to steam hammers..(etc)...makes a specialty of castings and finished automobile cylinders of exceptional character..."( Auto'm'ble Ind's Vol 21 (1909) Googlebooks)...
A desc of the Sterling Viking II model TCG-8 (used in Coast Guard Cutters late 40's/50's??): gasoline inline 8, 8x9, 3619.1 cid, 4 heads, each cyl dual int/exh valves, quad ign (two dual distributors, four spark coils, 4 plugs per cyl), 4 Zenith updraft carbs. This model had two 12V starter motors, otherwise sounds familiar. (Consumption at power 60 gph).
Lloyd (looks like Lloyds in pic) I drew a blank on; thought of Norddeutsche Lloyd but what little I found didn't mention any engine const.; nor could I bring up a history of Sterling Engine Co of Buffalo, NY.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 09:31:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,621 Posts

The Sterling has a place in my heart. I never saw one but my dad told me about them. He worked for Fred Cooper and after the war they got a bunch of those engines. I understood they were used in landing craft. He told me they had a planetary transmission attached that allowed the landing craft to be ran forward and then backward at full throttle for a speedy get-a-way. The ones he worked on had aluminum bronze cylinders and (maybe) the head so they could run salt water for cooling. They were 8 cylinder with 8" bore and 8" stoke. Had multiple ignitions and spark plugs per cylinder. I've always wanted to see one.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:23:24 PM
Registered-I

Well, if that is what this is, there is one. Now I just need to make a project out of it. Take videos, document the restoration, and get the beast running again. Make a nice addition for the site. I don't know when I will be able to start, probably not till next summer. Hopefully dad is still around then, he's the only one I know around here that would be able to fix it. He is rather gifted, and a tough one since this is is 4th batch of Chemotherapy.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:25:44 AM
Subscriber

Good luck to dad in beating that horrible intrusion to his life. With this big project he will need all of his talents.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:40:43 AM
Registered-II

Hi Team,
a great unique engine, very worthy of all attempts to save and restore.
I think the Lloyds stamp is the crankshafts' Marine Engine Certification Number from the renowned Marine Insurer Lloyds of London, England.
I have seen this on other marine engines and some Caterpillar Marine Transmission parts.

I used to work for the local Caterpillar dealer here and ran into problems because even though ALL Cat parts for Marine transmissions etc were built to Lloyds Certification Standard the parts I was replacing were not stamped as such and the local Lloyds Inspector would not accept them until we got letters from both Cat and Lloyds head offices to verify the parts were all Lloyds spec. whether stamped or not !!!
The Lloyds stamping would indicate the engine is built to Lloyds Specification even though it may never have been used in a Marine application. It simply means it could be without any problems getting a certification as it had been done for all engines of that type produced by the Maker.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:23:52 AM
Registered-II

Stirling Engine Company was bought out by Phillips pipe line company. The Phillips pipeline that runs about a mile from my house has a pump station a mile down the road. I have gotten a look and cursory inspection of it's three pump engines. Two are the Stirling Viking II's. The other is a larger inline 8 cyl. I did not see any names or data on it during the cursory inspection allowed to me by a workman. Unfortunatly I didn't have a camera with me at the time. A call to Phillips Pipeline Co, might give you a track onto more information. If you want to refer to the 8 cyl I mentioned it is located in their "Kiowa CO Pumphouse".
Old 11-17-2010, 03:34:53 PM
Registered-I

I vote Westinghouse. It has all the trademark westinghouse features,tapered intake and exaust manifold mounts,slot with a hole flywheel for the manual starting bar. The mount for the manual starting bar on the base inline with the flywheel. The crankshaft and rods scream westinghouse and is that a gap I see in the skirt of the piston? Please can you take a photo looking up into the piston?. Also
do any of the part numbers start with RA?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:05:02 PM
Registered-I

Yes, that is a gap that you see in the piston. I will get more pictures when i get home from Behrend for Thankgiving Vacation. As for the numbers, I have everything I can find written, stamped, or molded posted.

Is there anything else more specific that i should exam for next time?

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baalman View Post
Good luck to dad in beating that horrible intrusion to his life. With this big project he will need all of his talents.
Thank you Dan. This is now a 7-8 year battle, kind of hard to remember since it started around the time went into middle-school. Originally a two month life expectancy with multiple stage-4 tumors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cartoman For This Post:
Old 11-25-2010, 09:56:24 PM
Registered-I

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody!

I'm back at my house and can take more picture of this engine if there is anything you want to see closer. I'll get one looking up inside the cylinder for you CS Brown.

There are some other engines I have up here as well, older ones. I'll take pictures of those and post them in a different thread.

Thanks,
Cart
Old 11-26-2010, 06:53:01 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,316 Times in 1,550 Posts

The engine in the movie is shown at the Norman Skinner Farm Museum. It is located about 5 miles west of Perrysville Indiana. It has 32 spark plugs with dual ignition. Mike Miller has it right as they were bought out by Phillips Petroleum. I have talked to a person that worked on these engines. He told me that Phillips has modified them with electronic ignition and the engine can be tuned from 250 H.P. to 1200 H.P. at 1200 rpm's still retaining 100% duty cycle. That figures at 1200 H.P. to 5252 Lbs. torque. The boat had 2 of these engines and the props were run from opposite ends of the engines so when revved they would not rock the boat. This engine weighs 14,000 lbs. This particular engine was used to pump water for the city of Danville Ill and Norman got it to display at his show. If you want more info google 83 footer.

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Van Hook For This Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 10:05:53 PM
Registered-I

Bump to top, What ever happened with this monster
Old 03-19-2011, 01:25:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,093 Times in 478 Posts

Thanks for the bump CS. Been wondering the same thing myself.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:33:35 AM
Registered

Do not recognize the engine; I do see the starting air distributor on the control end, above the oil pump. The valves with springs but no rockers in the head ar the starting air check valves. The cranking air "blows" this valve open, hence the light spring, and the cylinder pressure will close the valve and hold it closed once the engine fires, until you turn the cranking air off. I agree: the Lloyd's on the crank is the insurance certification co. and the other, beginning with E, is the crank manufacturer.
I would enjoy knowing what brand of engine this is, and if it is in the hands of a determined and capable hobbyist.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:10:25 PM
Registered-I

I've been able to positively Id this engine. It is a Winton 400hp 8 cylinder built after 1927 . Would have been originally used in a rail car application.

I wonder what happen with it?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CS Brown For This Post:
Old 06-16-2014, 10:01:26 PM
Registered-II

What an awesome engine! That beast would be a blast to hear running hopefully she came home with someone. I can't even imagine trying to time this thing or get/fabricate parts for it

I would have to agree I'd love to wear a hidden camera and walk into a parts house to see what kind of reaction I'd get with that distributor
Old 06-17-2014, 11:18:17 AM
Registered-I

[QUOTE=CS Brown;1054289]I've been able to positively Id this engine. It is a Winton 400hp 8 cylinder built after 1927 . Would have been originally used in a rail car application. QUOTE]

CS Brown,

Good work. I have just seen this thread, great to see one of these old mighty Wintons.

Here is a photo of a Winton Model 148, 400 hp distillate engine. Air start, 8"x10" cylinders.

In 1925 Winton were supplying a model 120 distillate engine, 6 cylinder, 275 hp for rail use. This engine was increased to 300 hp (model 146), then the 400 hp engine was produced (model 148) around 1927. In 1932 Winton produced a V-12 distillate engine - the model 194 with 900 hp.

I see the OP's engine shows very similar mounting arrangements as the photo attached, i.e. the alternator mounting brackets still seem to be there.

Winton gasoline and diesel engines were very popular in the large motor yacht market, over half the engines sold were Winton.

This photo comes from Dawn of the Diesel Age by John F. Kirkland
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winton model 148 400 hp distillate fuel.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	198089  
Old 06-18-2014, 12:24:03 AM
Registered-I

Seeing an engine like that I envision a very large heavy duty trailer, an equally large and beefy pickup truck to haul it, lots of cribbing to set the engine on the trailer, lotta tie downs and assorted lengths of chain and a bunch of good friends to help you move that engine from it's current location to it's new home. And just possibly a rent a crane to pick it up on the trailer and off again when you get home. Sounds like fun to me. Frank
Old 06-18-2014, 12:00:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,971 Times in 817 Posts

I think it would look good setting under the hood of a chevy chevette.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:37:37 PM
Registered

So, what's happening with this Winton engine? I'm looking at buying a railcar that still has its original 6 cylinder, 300 hp Wintons....
Is there anyone who knows much about them?
Any sources for spare parts?
I'd like to know a bit more, before I take the jump....
Old 01-22-2015, 05:03:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,133 Times in 898 Posts

There are railcar collectors websites--at least two based in the US the last time I was looking (2-3 yrs ago??) and another either UK or AU based, altho it then covered US models/collectors too...
narcoa.com (Nth Am'cn Railcar Own Assoc??) is the only one that comes to mind, but they'll show up Googling railcar clubs etc...
If the one you're looking at has twin Wintons (...original 6 cyl 300 HP Winstons..."---plural) you might be getting up into real RR eqpmt and find info on the RR sites...
Wintons were popular in marine installations; oldmarineengine.com is another possibility for advice. Good luck.