Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Help with a Miller 44D Trailblazer Welder

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4455 times

Old 02-28-2014, 10:25:58 PM
Registered-I

Default Help with a Miller 44D Trailblazer Welder

All
About 3 years back I acquired a Miller TrailBlazer 44D with a Perkins 4-154 engine. I have never heard it run , even though the hour meter shows only about 100 hours. 1982-83 model. Few parts were missing and when I finally found them the engine appeared frozen, but it was not 9 months earlier.

I have found in forums a procedure to hopefully un-sieze the engine but that is not my question. I suspect that the unit has not been run in over 20 years.
My question is, (1) is there any way that the injection pump could still be functional ?

(2) Also where do you go to get an injector pump tested ?

(3) I have also read that with injection pumps there is a procedure that you must go through to both remove them as well as re-install them ?

Don't know squat about Diesels. Any help would be appreciated? If I am on the wrong forum please direct me to the proper one.
\
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2014, 09:15:59 AM
Registered

Default Re: Help with a Miller 44D Trailblazer Welder

www.weldingweb.com
Old 03-01-2014, 11:05:22 AM
eMail NOT Working

I'm no diesel expert, but the very, very first thing I would do, is pull off the injection pump, because... if it's stuck, and you try turning the engine, the result would damage a very, very expensive piece. It IS timing sensitive, so ther'es a procedure for reinstalling it to proper synchronism.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:35:07 PM
Subscriber

I have fired many diesel tractors and engines that have not run in 10 to 20 years. Often they fire up in the first 2 or 3 revolutions! Injection pumps will hold up just fine in storage provided they have clean fuel in them. Water is the real enemy here. Get the instructions on removing and reinstalling/timing your pump before removal. Usually pin the engine at TDC and mark the pump flange to timing cover area with a metal scribe before removal. Some pumps come off with the shaft in place, others will leave the shaft behind. Remember, this is the same as a distributor on a gas engine. Timing is critical.

Testing is often free if you have a good diesel shop. Overhaul is not cheap. $600 to $1200 is not unusual. You might as well pull injectors also, very easy to test, and it may allow you to get the engine rolling over.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Toesmack For This Post: