Old Engine Memorials

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Old Engine Memorials
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old Engine Memorials We each know a collector who has passed that meant something to us and this is a place for our final salute, a place of memories for all to share.

Old Engine Memorials

Schurman, Clyde L.

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1338 times

Old 12-13-2006, 06:16:28 PM
Harry

Default Schurman, Clyde L.

Clyde Laverne Schurman, 92, of Woodland, Washington died Dec. 10, 2006. He was born in 1914, in La Center, Wash., to Frank and Evangeline (Eckert) Schurman. He graduated from Woodland High School.Mr. Schurman owned and operated Schurman Machine Shop. He married Mildred Elizabeth Christensen in 1940. She preceded him in death in October 2005.

Survivors include two sons, Gerald Schurman and Roger Schurman; two daughters, Linda Wyttenberg and Janice Schurman; a brother, Paul Schurman; a sister, Florence Thompson; two grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. A graveside service will be held at noon Friday at Evergreen Memorial Gardens. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Woodland Presbyterian Church. Visitation will be held from 1 to 5 p.m. Thursday and 9 to 11 a.m. Friday at Woodland Funeral Home. Memorial contributions may be made to the Clover Valley Church, 3212 Lewis River Drive, Woodland, WA 98674. Published in The Daily News on 12/12/2006.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:57:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default Re: Schurman, Clyde L.

I'll be the first to say that the Schurman family is a great group of people. I never met Clyde in person, but I always heard alot about him. Clyde's Nephew, Alan Schurman has helped me out numerous times on stuff, and is a great guy, always willing to give advise or help lend a hand when needed. My thoughts go to you.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:18:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,097 Times in 287 Posts

Our Family is real sorry to hear about Clyde. We had sold many fine engines to him over the years and it was a real pleasure to visit with him whenever we seen him. He was super nice person to know and will be greatly missed. The James Withers Family
Old 12-13-2006, 07:39:24 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,262 Times in 284 Posts

I met Clyde back in 1988 when I was looking for advice, before I purchased my first portable steam engine. Clyde was more than helpful and over the years our friendship grew. I would call and we would spend hours chatting on the phone about old iron. Clyde made it easy for me to purchase many engines and tractors from him over the years, which have remaind in my collection and most likely always will. I was lucky enough to visit him last Friday in the hospital and say good-bye. Even though I will miss him immensely, I know Clyde is where he has wanted to be since loosing his wife just a little over a year ago. My thoughts and prayers are with his family in this time of sorrow.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:44:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,583 Times in 413 Posts

Sorry to hear about Clyde passing away.

I won't forget it as he died on my birthday.:(

I've known Clyde since the 1970's and have been to his place countless times over the years. He had a fantastic collection of engines and tractors years ago. It was kind of hard going to his place the last ten years or so and seeing more empty spaces in his barns where I remembered seeing a engine or tractor.

Unfortunately, I never had the money or opportunity to buy any of his better engines back when he was still able to sell from his collection.

He will be missed by a lot of us in the NW.

George
Old 12-13-2006, 08:18:46 PM
Sponsor

Clyde was a dear friend. I always enjoyed going to his place and visiting. I purchased several engines over the years that are some of my prized possessions. He was a great collector and will be missed. Lauren
Old 12-13-2006, 09:29:25 PM
Registered

I too, am sorry to hear that Clyde had passed away. I've known him since the 60s because of a mutual interest in antique cars.
Clyde was always a gentleman, and willing to help whenever he could.

Mel Miller
Old 12-13-2006, 11:45:58 PM
Subscriber

My first visit to Clydes place in 1985 was unforgettable and am thankful my wife was with me to take photos because I was only into looking, not wanting to be bothered by a camera--I was in engine heaven. And then the tractors---it was almost too much excitment--You know that feeling when your looking at a very rare early engine you've only seen in a book but as you look around they are everywhere. Wish I could go back in time and look again--Thank You Clyde
Old 12-14-2006, 12:28:58 AM
In Memory Of

I first got to go to Clyde Schurmans in 1973 when I was 13 years old. One of the first engines I got to hear run was the HUGE Union Tool . After that it was the three cylinder Atlas Imperial tug engine. What a impression THAT made!
As many years ago as that was, I remember it as if it was yesterday! What a thrill!
A few years ago I was up at one of Clydes gas ups and I had a chance to tell him of what a thrill it was for me as a kid to get to see, hear, and "feel" those huge engines run. I mentioned how I ALWAYS wanted a chance to run the Atlas. I can hear him now saying " well sure, you just go right ahead" and showed me how to start it.
I had a odd feeling that day, I shouldn't be running that engine, Clyde should, he always had. I knew that although I had been coming up there for 30+ years I had better enjoy the moment, it might be the last time things were just like that day.
Another favorite memory was of Clyde "testing" the Mount Hood engine as it was running to see if it was generating. His method was to lick his fingers and touch the wires. We kidded him about it not being hot, then he touched a trouble light to it and it promptly blew out the bulb!
Clyde, you will be missed, I am glad I got to know you.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:51:50 AM
Registered

Clyde will be missed by all, Thru the years I had the opportunity to visit with Clyde and will never forget the good times had at his shop looking at some of the rarest of the rare engines, and of course you could not just look at them as Clyde enjoyed to run them too.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family in this time of sorrow.

Jim Johnson
Old 12-14-2006, 02:24:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,499 Times in 472 Posts

i'll always remember the twinkle in Clyde's eye when he was showing me his collection. i was able to visit him twice. the sheds were tractor/engine heaven and the basement in the house was a museum of it's own with cars, models and dynamos.

marv hedberg, minnesota
Old 12-14-2006, 09:51:29 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,038 Times in 668 Posts

I was able to meet and talk to Clyde at the Antique Power Land in Salem, Oregon and visit him and see his collection one time. It seemed to me he was in no hurry to show his collection and would take all day if i wanted to stay. I sold him a 25hp Black Bear engine on an old chev truck in the late 70s and i do not know if it is still in his collection. A very very nice kind man he was and anyone related to him can be proud of this man. I wish his family and friends the very best at this time of sorrow.