Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Briggs NS-Powered Handi-Ho

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 1477 times

Old 07-12-2018, 01:00:01 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Briggs NS-powered Handi-Ho

So I took the magneto off and cleaned everything, set it to specification and got no spark at all. I did this twice just to make sure I did not screw anything up. The condenser does not read shorted to ground, but I ordered a new one anyway because I am hopeful that it is what is wrong and not the coil, which is a lot more expensive to replace.

---------- Post added at 01:00:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55:07 AM ----------

I also spent a lot of time cleaning the throttle-cable. It has a motorcycle-style twist-grip to work the throttle. The cable was almost seized up so I brushed the outside of it clean with a wire-brush and pulled the inner cable out of the housing and went over it with scotch-brite. Then I put it back in the outer housing with lots of oil and axle-grease. Now the twist-grip functions and is ready for when I get the motor running....
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2018, 08:36:13 PM
Registered-I

If I'm not mistaken, that engine used a #291617 Magneto Coil, which I believe is no longer available.

You can check the continuity of the primary windings by measuring between the bare (ground wire) and the small black insulated wire. ....There should be continuity.

The secondary windings are checked by measuring between the bare wire and the plug wire connection where it is soldered to the terminal. ...There should be continuity.

If there is no continuity in either test, there is an open-circuit in that winding.

Sometimes they short internally due to moisture and can be saved by "baking" them in an oven at a low (150*F) temperature.

You can also check the spark plug wire by measuring across both ends to be certain there is not a break in the wire.

You can also connect between both contacts of the points (disconnect condenser lead) to be sure there is continuity when the points are closed, but not when the contacts are open.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Dorsi For This Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 07:06:13 AM
Registered-I

Thanks for your input Bruce. I had checked all those things for continuity, and even got some resistance on one of the coil windings but I can not remember what it was. I do not have an NS parts book but downloaded a 6s manual and parts-book from the Briggs site and I think much of it's parts etc. are similar, plus I have an old Briggs repair manual that covers the older engines and gives a lot of good info. I ordered a new capacitor last week, so when it gets here I should be able to install it and forget having to take off the flywheel again. If it does not spark after the new cap is installed then it will have to be the coil, and new and used ones pop up on Ebay fairly often so I am not worried about it. I have a later three-leg coil off of a scrap engine I found in some woods that would I could try too.

If it runs with any of those swaps I will put it up here.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:35:50 PM
Registered-I

Got it to spark today. The condenser came in the mail and after it got down in the low-80s and the sun was behind clouds I put it in and that was all it took. I can spin the engine over with one hand on the starter-pulley and it sparks nice and blue.

So I took the carb off and cleaned it up, I noticed the flange is warped from someone over-tightening it. I will have to think about how I want to fix the warp. It would be nice to un-warp it, but I don't know if that is even possible without a special jig and heating it in an oven. I could just file it flat and finish it up on a surface-plate with some fine paper. It was probably running with a warped carb for years just fine so maybe if it runs and is not sucking air I should just leave it alone.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:49:39 PM
Registered-I

Well the old Ho is running now. All it took after I installed the new capacitor was a little cleaning of the carb and fuel-tank. It was important to have the mixture-screw on the carb adjusted one-turn out. I also discovered that this thing has a kick-stand and a name-plate after removing a few pounds of crud. Another oddball thing is that apparently the oil-filler cap is a spring-loaded thing that you must move-aside to check and pour oil into. I have not found an NS manual or parts-book yet so I have just been using parts of other Briggs manuals to patch-together the engine's specs and details.

Several more pounds of crud to go...

Old 07-19-2018, 01:03:51 AM
Registered-I

HERE is an illustrated parts list that I found for your NS. Haven't found a manual yet.

EDIT: The only manual I can find for an N is this one HERE, but doesn't list the NS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ogrebeast64 For This Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:57:55 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrebeast64 View Post
HERE is an illustrated parts list that I found for your NS. Haven't found a manual yet..
Ogre, thank-you for your trouble. I had not seen that parts-list so it made my day. I did see the N manual that does not have NS specific info in it. The 5S manual shows a spring-loaded oil-filler like on the NS in it's instructions, but in the parts section it shows a screw-on filler cap!?. Also the 5S manual says one-pint of 20-weight oil, so I think I may drain the oil out of this thing and try adding that to the crankcase. I have a lot of smoke when this runs, but maybe because it has not been run for thirty or more years the rings are stuck and they may loosen with a bit of running. If not I guess it is re-ring time.... I stuck a new J-8C plug in this to get it running because the J-11 that was in it had stripped terminal threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benjamin Gradler For This Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 09:43:47 AM
Registered-I

The oil caps are strange things. Some of them have the spring loaded cap, and some have the screw on type. I've has engines that were completely identical except for the oil fill caps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ogrebeast64 For This Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 10:40:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,507 Posts
Default Re: Briggs NS-Powered Handi-Ho

I like that machine.I could not bring myself to ever paint that 1,I would clean it real good and let it be.The decals and such are just to the point of being readable and original.
I have a couple of the later 2 wheel Bolens but nothing this old or neat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 09:43:40 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Briggs NS-Powered Handi-Ho

i agree, it looks so good all totally original
just enough patina to look its age,
and still showing true colours.

wouldnt rush a new tyre either,
wait till the tube is poking out.
i googled studded tractor tyre to see what was available,
my education continues, found another use for left over screws.

thanks again for sharing the story.
The Following User Says Thank You to rodneyt For This Post: