Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan W2C / Montgom. Ward genset control box

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 3077 times

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 02:04:33 PM
Registered-II

Default Onan W2C / Montgom. Ward genset control box

I am trying to figure out what version of "control group" box is on the genset I have. attached is a pic of the actual inner workings of the Control Box as well as the page from the manual.

The plate indicates that it is a 115 v AC, single phase 3000 watts, 26 amps, as well as DC 15 v 10 amps 150 W but the diagram it most closely mathces is for the "Dual Purpose" 115v AC, 32 V DC (type J in the parts reference manual), yet the output of 3000 w puts it in "type D" . (this is on page 1 of the Onan manual).

It is an electric/manual start, unsure of the ignition type, but I assume it is battery

As you can see, the actual does not match the book. Does any one have hands on experience with these?

hope the pics come through, this is the first time on the new BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	52   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover  off.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	53  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2004, 02:09:51 PM
Registered-II

more pics on Onan W2C

Found out there is a limmit of 2 pics so here are more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	parts page.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	54   Click image for larger version

Name:	part numb.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	56  
Old 11-11-2004, 05:30:51 PM
Registered-II

Default hints w2c

I have two of these gensets. Both are 110v ac and 12vdc. The control boards are the same as your pictures.If Yours has the fuel pump,be careful as my first one ran fine till one day it tied up. The diaphram had a leak and filled the crankcase with gasoline. During the rebuild I found that the oil pump didn't work either. The ball check valve was stuck tight.The oil pump is not too easy to get in and out, but it needs to be cleaned befor you run it.I use gravity feed on the gas and works fine! My secound unit had a stuck oil pump as well,clean out your bottom end and save yourself some trouble. The DC terminals are clearly marked(+ on the left) and a 12v battery goes there . It will start the moter when you hold down the start button. adjust your charge rate with the comtrol below the meter.Keep it around 2 or 3 amps. These are great little units,You'll like yours too .they'l outlast 3 generac sets THese use 10W oil.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:24:59 AM
Registered-II

Default Onan W2C

Clifton, thanks for the very good info re startup. And the details on the dial, that was something I wondered about, ie what is it.

As mentined in previous posts this unit has not run for at least 7 years, so I am prepared for some major "fixins" as I go over the unit. I have not quite irpned out all my questions as yet, this is a slow crawl at this point as I have not dealt with older gensets before. I have a honda 1000i gen for the camper but it is shy on watts and amps for any tools etc needed at the cabin.

I wil have to look for the oil pump and pressure regulator.

Here is a coule of pics. of the fuel pump. It sounds like I have the same model setup you refer to.

eric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0774.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	94  
Old 11-12-2004, 12:28:16 PM
Registered

The fuel pump diaphrams in the ONAN sets do NOT handle oxygenated gasoline well, and, in my opinion, perforate from oxygenated gas flowing thru them. It's a lot easier to run the machine with an electric fuel pump.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:52:37 PM
Registered-II

Question Onan W2C M/W genset (revival) conversion to LPG

thanks Franz, this (diaphram degeneration) is nothing I would have thought about.

I noted a statement in the manual about "leaded gasoline" and "Premium".on page 14 it says:

Use “regular gasoline of 69 to 74 octane. Do not use Premium grade gasoline. Engine life will be greatest when fuel containing the least amount of lead is used.”

This make sense as propane fueled (car) engines last much longer and do not create the 'dirt' in the engine oil that gasoline does, and that it is these contaminants that wear out an engine.

Could an LPG conversion which uses a bolt on LPG gas mixer unit be used on this machine, ie added ahead of the carb?

ooking at the attached pic it looks like an extension of the breather tube would be needed, then voila! but not too good for winter use withut a prewarmer.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:02:22 PM
Registered-II

Default Onan W2C Carb Picure attached (again)

something is not going right today here is another attempt at posting the picture of the Carb assembly.

Got it this time, the error message about file too large is not really obvious, and I missed it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carb assembly.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	98  
Old 11-15-2004, 04:01:07 PM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Onan W2C / Montgom. Ward genset control box

Werefemot can you read what is written on the edge of that control board? The one with your fimger on the relay!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:53:46 PM
Registered-II

Gene, I looked at the photo posted and another one I took from another angle , but I am not able to make anything out of those scratches. All I see mostly is the cut marks from the saw that cut the control board. Was it normal for there to be a part number or? on the side? Shhould i be loking for something in particular?
thanks,
eric
Old 11-16-2004, 12:28:57 AM
Registered-II

Gene, I played with the attached pic in photoshop. Also a B & W version attached

there is something on the side but it does not appear too legible.

Hope you can see something. This is from the other pic angle.

|Eric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	control brd b&w3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	174   Click image for larger version

Name:	control brd2.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	175  
Closed Thread