Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 5.0 CCK Question

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 1027 times

Old 04-27-2018, 03:03:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,542 Posts
Default Re: Onan 5.0 CCK Question

An issue that you era of CCK powered generators had was that the female push on connectors got brittle, possibly from heat especially at the resistor and could have bad connections. These were in the GENERATOR end. I had to change out about 10 of them on my '72 5.0CCK as they were loose fitting. hen I tried to gently crimp them down so they were tighter, they broke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2018, 04:34:32 PM
Registered

Ok.. I grabbed both of those manuals and I'll go through them this evening and educate myself farther on the Onan Generator. I'm really getting into this.. 😎. I certainly never thought that I would wind up this immersed in it just looking stuff up for a friend, but once I started reading last night I was quite intrigued with all of that information, and for only having taken a basic electricity class 30 years ago in high school I was able to keep up for the most part... My buddy worked in construction up in New York City for most of his life so he has a pretty good grasp of it... So he says anyway... 😎. At 70 years old I would have to think that he learned at least a couple of things. You guys have a great Friday night and I'll catch up with you on the morrow... 🍻
Old 04-27-2018, 11:52:24 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,381 Times in 891 Posts

Kevin K is correct in the charge resistor part number and value, 7.5 ohms and 24 watt, 353-0060. Sorry I messed that up!
The Following User Says Thank You to nothingbutdarts For This Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 08:12:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,982 Times in 7,070 Posts

Blagfeather. This is not directed at you so don.t take it wrong.

Tell your friend not to ask for help. If he doesn't want the help. Check the resistor. It is the key to keeping the thing running. It is the off switch to the system. If it opens the system will shutdown. Other items can shut it down but that was the most common thing. It does get hot while working so be careful with it. It does not have to come from Onan. Just as long as it is a match. It is a good idea to check the brushes at least once a year. Make sure they are free in the guides and making good contact. Keep them as clean as possible. Check all connections. R1 on his may be fine but it is worth checking.

I have been working on Onans for 35 years. Onan field tech 1980-2003. I can tell you. You will not find a better group of people than here. Everyone is willing to help. They all bring in good ideas of what to check. May not all ways solve a problem. But it can help. With all the knowledge I have I am still learning. We can all help each other. No one here is trying to rip anybody off. Just folks trying to help.

But your friend is the type that gets my blood going. Ask for help then doesn't believe what he is told. Stick around you can learn from this group.

Last edited by Billy J Shafer; 04-28-2018 at 11:10:19 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billy J Shafer For This Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 09:36:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaqfeather View Post
...but didn't seem to be sold on the resistor thing...
None of us should be sold on the resistor thing because we have only a very limited amount of insight into the issue. We said that the resistor, along with the brushes, were the first thing to check. In my case this was based on an review of the schematic and determining which components had to be operating correctly to create the symptom you described.

Troubleshooting is a logical sequence of finding root causes through guesses, where each guess eliminates more and more items as possible causes. The better educated the guesswork is and the more experience the guesser has, the easier the process is...

I've had three CCK sets to tinker on over the years. All of them arrived with sticking brushes, most of them had bad connections due brittle push-on connectors, as Motorhead described.

Maybe you don't want to argue with your buddy about this, but you might ask him to explain how the ignition gets its power after the start switch is released. Answer: through R1.

Does that guarantee that R1 is the problem? No. But it might be, and it takes about 1 minute to check it and see. And, in the process of checking it, he might run across some bad-looking connections around it that are the actual problem, rather than the R1 resistor itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaqfeather View Post
...It will start when the switch is pressed but when he lets off the switch it stops running...
You might ask him if there are any other details, because this very brief description of the problem is ALL we have so far...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 11:27:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,542 Posts

If your "Elder" buddy wants REAL problems, Tell him to trade the Simple and reliable Onan for a Generac generator.
The CCK has some of the simlpest of controls to keep the engine running and the generator generating. NO circuit boards, except for some of the early '70's ones and NO voltage regulator. There is very little trouble shooting needed to fix these old sets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 11:37:46 AM
Registered

I just got a cck 4.0 1977 It has a circuit board under the off on switch. Is this the board you are talking about or is there another board I need to know about?
Old 04-28-2018, 11:58:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,377 Posts

^ please start your own thread, including the set's s/n and model numbers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 04:11:11 PM
Registered

ok sorry about that
Old 04-28-2018, 06:11:40 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
I just got a cck 4.0 1977 It has a circuit board under the off on switch. Is this the board you are talking about or is there another board I need to know about?
Yep. The dreaded Soiid-State "659" board.

Advantage......Two-stage battery charge rate

Disadvantage ...failure prone