Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Hard to Start Husqvarna

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 1609 times

Old 05-04-2018, 10:45:35 AM
Registered-II

Default Hard to Start Husqvarna

My Husqvara 265 rx clearing saw always wears me out trying to start it. Why would this be so hard to start?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2018, 11:20:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,748 Posts
Default Re: Hard to start Husqvarna

Likely carburetor.... either dirty or missadjusted.
Doc
Old 05-04-2018, 02:48:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,091 Times in 585 Posts
Default Re: Hard to Start Husqvarna

Hows compression? Hows spark? Hows the plug look?
Old 05-05-2018, 12:09:39 AM
Registered-II

New piston and cylinder, spark plug was decent when I used it last year. So damn hard to pull over without squirting some ether into the air cleaner It's run for less than 20 hours with the new piston and cylinder. My right shoulder doesn't agree with it.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:53:15 AM
Subscriber

You replaced the piston and cylinder and use ether to start it? I`ll keep my comments on that to myself so I don`t get kicked off of this site. Why did you replace them, was the compression low or just hard to start? Is the gas fresh? Is the spark arrester screen clean? How`s the spark? Flywheel key? Possibly the carb needs to be cleaned? Have you tried a NEW spark plug? Are the fuel lines leaking? Plugged fuel filter?
Old 05-05-2018, 03:46:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,557 Times in 717 Posts

My first suspicion would be stale ethanol gas, regardless of how long you've had it. I've had ethanol gas that wouldn't start or run a 2 cycle Lawn-Boy on the same day that I bought it. Bought and mixed gas from a different source and end of problem. Course it could be something else but that's the first thing I would check.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Sherlock For This Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 04:54:56 PM
Registered-I

Insufficient information for even a SWAG at the cause of the problem.
Just one more thing to check in addition to those already mentioned.......
Two cycle engines need tightly sealed crankcases. Any sort of air leak (Worn crankshaft seals?) can cause poor fuel delivery and hard starting. A little ether can get the rev's up high enough to overcome the leakage to the point that fuel delivery to the combustion chamber is adequate. To check, you should be able to feel the suction pulses with your hand over the carb intake when you pull the starter rope.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:45:37 PM
eMail NOT Working

First and foremost, never, ever, EVER spray ETHER in a 2-stroke. Ever.

First: it removes all lubrication INSTANTLY. I warned a guy about this once who didn't heed, and the result was brand new piston, cylinder, and rod all shot in under four seconds.

Next: Ether ruins every seal. The carbeurator's little passages are perfect for ether to wick in, and once it gets to the carburator's gasket plate, it ruins that gasket, which typically is also the impulse fuel pump and check valves. From there, it hits the crankcase seals and destroys them too. From an economic standpoint, it's most likely a "deposit engine in dumpster" scenario.

When a two-stroke engine is hard to start, the circumstances come in two flavors:
1) hard to crank
2) pulls fine, just won't fire.

If it's hard to crank, the reason is typically mechanical. On big professional-grade chainsaws, concrete saws, etc., there's usually a compression release, and in most cases, if you're a normal human with expectation of starting, you'll NEED to set the CR in order to successfully lunk it over.

If that doesn't work, then turning the flywheel slowly by hand will give you an indication of wether the engine is experiencing high mechanical drag. Drag is generally caused by either some foriegn object *typically ferrous) stuck against the flywheel (magnets!), if not, it's a galled piston/cylinder, or damaged rod or crank.

If it pulls fine, but won't fire, most times, it's a case where the carb gasket/fuel pump, primer, and fuel lines/pickup are bad. They crack with exposure to ethanol, and just plain time... hence, it won't draw fuel. There's also a very fine mesh screen in the carbeurator, when the fuel system is attacked by ethanol or crap, the screen will get fouled and not flow fuel.

When I deal with a poor starting saw, I pull the fuel tank, lines, carb, and replace all the plumbing, carb gasket, and clean out the screen, then reassemble it with new primer bulb (if it uses one) and new pickup, then replace the spark plug.

If you hadn't mentioned ether, I'd make that recommendation, and that probably would've been the solution, but you're most likely not going to be happy with the internals now.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:37:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,156 Times in 555 Posts

Since I quit running ethanol fuel in my 2 strokes, I've had a lot less issues. The Trufuel gets pricy but it pays off for me.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:22:19 AM
Registered-II

I tried canned gas, ethanol free, Sears branded, today. Mixed in air cooled synthetic oil and it started with far less effort. Now I'd like to find more gas than the quart containers, or the "gallon" can that NAPA sells.

The web says some places sell ethanol free gas, but I'm beginning to think it's urban legend, unless someone know if it can be had in the New England area