Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

A New 6BH Project

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 730 times

Old 06-06-2018, 10:44:44 AM
Registered-I

Default A New 6BH Project

I would like to get this engine back to work mowing. The parts I have is what is in the photos, it is missing a carb, flywheel, fan-shroud and fuel tank and cylinder head.

It would be nice to have it look original from the outside at least, but I understand that there are other ignition options and maybe other options for the cylinder head etc..? I like the idea of getting the fuel-tank that mounts on the side of the shroud instead of hanging on the bottom of the carb, but beggars can't be choosy right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benjamin Gradler For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2018, 07:23:38 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: A New 6BH Project

I picked this parts-engine up in exchange for helping someone get the water out of the fuel-system of their riding mower, it was laying on the hood of a junk-car behind a barn. So I may now have a good coil along with a carb and many screws and bolts needed to get this project on it's way. Parts engine is probably not a 6bh, but a very early 600000 series.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:24:53 AM
Registered-I

Parts are interchangeable from these first 6B, 6H, 6BH, etc... with newer engines. Just search Craigslist and the Facebook marketplace for a 2hp edger engine, and take the flywheel and coil off of it. The hard part to get will be the shroud. A new 2-3hp shroud will bolt right on it, but look different because it won’t have the embossed lines and BS on the shroud. I just saw a guy in the Briggs group I’m in on Facebook, selling the carb and tank you need for $20. I have an extra shroud, like you need, but that’s for a future product. I only mention it to point out that shrouds are available, you just have to search diligently.
The Following User Says Thank You to courts94s For This Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 10:30:32 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by courts94s View Post
Parts are interchangeable from these first 6B, 6H, 6BH, etc... with newer engines. .
I have had good luck finding parts. The 2.5 horse in the photo helped a LOT and I am hoping that I can use the carb off it.

I recently found a shroud on Ebay that I am hoping is the right one. It looks like the right one and it was NOS for only $9! Still more than I wanted to spend. I also have found a flywheel and head and rope-pulley for it. Hopefully all these scavenged parts will fit together and work. My goal is to put the engine onto an old cast-aluminum Toro chassis and have a "beater" to mow my lawn with that is economical and reliable. I will get all the parts together in one pile in the near future and take a photo of them and put them up here, and if I get them all together and the thing runs I will put that up here too.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:50:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,202 Times in 1,506 Posts

I think the engine to the left in the first picture of this thread is a 6BH.
I have the engine in a old bus for dry storage and can get a couple more pics sometime if it will help you.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114237
I was going to restore a 6AH to display beside it.The cast iron predecessor. Once I opened it up it was ruined,block,piston,and all.Looked great and was complete to the last screw but ruined inside.

On your parts engine, you will find the bottom of that carb to be warped and hard to get to seal on the gas tank.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:23:46 PM
Registered-II

"On your parts engine, you will find the bottom of that carb to be warped and hard to get to seal on the gas tank."

Other than leaking gas on top of the tank, it won't matter. The engine will run without a seal being there, all you need is the pickup tube in gas. You can always double up the gasket there also
Old 07-29-2018, 07:58:36 PM
Registered-I

An NOS shroud I got surprisingly cheap off Ebay. If I use the suction carb and it is warped at the fuel-tank flange I will dress it up on a surface-plate to make it better, it worked on my NS-powered Handi-Ho.