Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Two "new" Deco-Grand Engines

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 456 times

Old 06-17-2018, 10:43:03 AM
Registered-II

Default Two "new" Deco-Grand Engines

I've been frustrated lately because I need to buy a good used car and have had all sorts of misadventures dealing with the lesser elements of society who seem to congregate on the "cars for sale by owner" craigslist subtopic. So that's why I was looking at craigslist once again this morning. No cars I wanted (again) so just for giggles I checked out the "tools" subcategory. Now this is not a good idea, because I have more tools than any ten people could use in ten lifetimes, but here we are. And add to that the fact that I am hoping to move as soon as I find a suitable destination and you will understand why I get up every morning, look in the mirror and repeat ten times: "No. More. Junk. No More Junk." And I've been good, haven't stopped at a single yard sale so far this year, and have pretty much avoided craigslist, so far as that is possible.

Fast forward to today.

As soon as I click on "tools" I see an ad for a Deco-Grand generator for $20. And it was nearby. I call and talk to the gentleman (because that's what he is, a very nice guy) and he told me he had a second engine and that he rescued these when a friend of his died and the relatives were cleaning out the house. He told me he would sell me both for $10. When I got to his house and he asked what I thought I said he made a bad deal for himself and I gave him $20.

As a result I have in the back of my long-suffering Safari van a Deco-Grand model 12 generator and another Deco Grand engine that looks basically the same but has no tags.and is missing a few minor bits, the dipstick, the spark plug and the cover over the cylinder head. This engine looks suspiciously brand NEW although both units have been sitting in some shed for many years. Since I bought these probably two miles from the former Deco-Grand plant in Royal Oak it's possible that these, or at least the no-tag engine, seeped out of the plant somehow. The generator looks well used and is massively gunked-up but it rolls over and is complete.

Since these and the Continentals are relatively uncommon engines I have always liked them but before this the only one I bought was one of those brand new militarized yellow heater engines. That one is still brand new and never run.

I have no idea what the model 12 is. The engines alone should be designated as DE2, DE3, on through DE5. So the Model 12 must be assigned to the engine/generator combination (1200W?) Does anyone have any knowledge of this model?

I'd post pics but for some reason I have been unable to do so for some time. I may take some and try again.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2018, 01:14:00 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Two "new" Deco-Grand engines

Before Deco changed to the horsepower numbering system, they used the Continental displacement system for identifying engines. The Model 12 became the DE5.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dick DeBuse For This Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 10:43:29 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Two "new" Deco-Grand Engines

Thank you Dick De Buse! I did a bit of poking around and was able to determine that the second engine was indeed brand new and never fired, although quite dirty and unhappy looking. But no rust inside and it turns over just like it should. I'm going to add a spark plug and some oil to stabilize the engine till I can get back to it. While I had the sump off I was able to finagle a small scale down into the engine and determined that it too is 2 3/4" bore, making it the model 12/DE5.

I also told myself to not futz around with the genset but who listens to me? I got spark now and the fuel system is nearly cleared of all the syrupy goop. Must have really been sitting for a long time since all of the parts have come out squeaky clean, bright and shiny after soaking in lacquer thinner. No sign of any ethanosis or white corrosion anywhere. She should be a runner soon!

Well phooey. I was going to try again to upload some pictures but all of them are too big. I'll resize pr maybe snap a few more and try again. I'm not optimistic but I gotta try.