Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Pictures of my Onan DJE generator

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 5134 times

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 08:23:26 PM
Registered-III

Default Pictures of my Onan DJE generator

I took home a military surplus Onan DJE generator and was tinkering with it today. I bought it at a military auction, not ebay or anything like that.

Here are the pictures:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/home/

Can someone tell me why would the exhaust manifold still retains its green Onan paint? should it not burn off in the first hour of use?

See

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/home/exhaust/

I was able to get it started today, after much screwing around. It starts running, and then shuts down almost immediately. It does not shutdown if I press the white OVERSPEED button. Any idea what could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2004, 04:44:11 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Pictures of my Onan DJE generator

It's probably overspeeding. Does the light stay on or does it come on as it shuts down. The start system over-rides any fault signals until you let off the start switch. It takes mine about 10 seconds for the oil pressure switch to make and hold in the stop solenoid. Try setting down the speed by backing out the speed control nut on the front just above center to the left of the cooling air intake. If it stays running tighten the nut till you get 61.5 cycles. If you have no voltage you must use a mechanical or electronic tachometer. My DJE doesn't have overspeed, but one of my DJC's does. Its a speed switch in the end bell bolted to the end of the generator shaft, with the contact in the center. Its adjustable but very sensitive and hard to adjust close enough to do any good without nuissance tripping on startup. Yours is not military it appears to be a standard civilian unit. It looks real good for anything military. The first 2 digits of the serial number are the year built. You can and should get all the manuals from the Cummins Onan dealer. A naturally aspirated diesel has cool exhaust so you really have to run one hard to burn off the paint.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:30:51 PM
Registered-III

Raymond, thanks. I fixed the overspeeding problem, and the egine ran great on Saturday, but would not start on Sunday. I made a detailed post about that titled something like "Onan DJE generator would not start". Will appreciate your thoughts.

i
Old 12-06-2004, 07:14:23 PM
Registered-I

Hi, did you get that gen from the Great lakes Navy post? It looks like one I bid on a little through gov liqiudators. I watched the sale of that one till the last minute,, then they started bidding past my price. Nice generator.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:03:16 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Plaisance
Hi, did you get that gen from the Great lakes Navy post? It looks like one I bid on a little through gov liqiudators. I watched the sale of that one till the last minute,, then they started bidding past my price. Nice generator.
Yes, that's where I got it. It looks quite nice so far, I was able to get it to run etc. It is very strong. It seems to have seen relatively little use, or so say various knowledgeable internet people. Something is not working right as of now, although on Saturday it ran like a champ. I must have screwed something up, I think.

I am now building a portable platform for it.

i
Closed Thread