Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Superior oilfield engine

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 5223 times

Old 10-04-2006, 08:03:48 PM
Registered-III

Default Superior oilfield engine

a friend needs help.for sale is a superior oilfield engine made in springfield ohio.it's a type C . 1 cylinder raditor cooled.has 1 flywheel 43" dia bore 7x10" sparkplug fired.has a clutch magneto looks like a f/m 4 cylinder mag using 1 plug wire .looks like a 1930-40 model he told me the guy wants $1200-$1400 if anyone can help ,thanks -chuck
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2006, 11:10:35 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: superior engine oilfield

Chuck, I replied to this in the main SmokStak forum, but it may get lost there.
What your friend has is an EARLY Ajax engine. They are a 2 cycle engine with a cross head. And they ARE Side Sfaft engines And that 4 cyl magneto is correct, believe it or not. You may find the other 3 terminals in that mag are grounded out internally. The first two #'s in the serial # on the tag is the year of manufacture. And I'd almost bet money that if you look at the tag it will say 7 1\2 X 10 for the bore and stroke, not 7. Parts for these engines are still readily available, IF you tell the engine shops you need parts for an Ajax model CM. As this was the very next model of these engines produced, and there isnt much differance between these two internally. In your area, Hit & Miss Ent. in Orwell, OH or Pettigrews Pumping Service in Mt. Gilead, OH are both great places to get new Ajax engine parts. Hope this helps
Old 10-06-2006, 08:48:49 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: superior engine oilfield

Doug: <p>I got one of those Superior engines about two weeks ago. The serial number begins with 27, and it also has the multi-cylinder type mag. It is a model CM, with a shaft drive water pump and a McCord lubricator. This one is 6 1/2 X 8. I need to find a replacement for the large side cover casting that has the clutch lever bracket on it. This engine has some green paint on it, but I don't know if it is original. I'd also like to find a set of air start valves for it. It looks like it a place on the cam box for an air valve, and the head has a 3/4 NPT hole with a plug in it that I'm pretty sure is for an air start valve. This engine closely resembles the early Ajax CMA models. Maybe "CMA" stands for "CM (Ajax) ?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:01:28 PM
Registered-III

thanks,doug,pat.called tom tonite and told him what you guys said-chuck
Old 10-06-2006, 11:35:19 PM
Registered-III

Your welcome Chuck

Patrick, It sounds list you have exactly the same engine I do My ser# even starts with 27. I'd really like to see a picture of the water pump on your engine as this is the only thing missing on mine. Been looking for one for a LONG time and have yet to even see one. You can install an airstart system on these engines IF you can find the parts The parts manual for the CM and CMA engines from Arrow Engine www.arrowengine.com/media/Ajax.pdf shows the air start set up for these engines. But, I dont think the air start parts are availiable anymore But, if you'd like give me a call at work next week and I'll look and see what we have. I'm going to take my Superior "ajax" to the Catoosa, Okla engine show October 13th, 14th and 15th.
Doug, your Arrow Engine Company Salesman.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:39:33 AM
Registered-III

Question Re: superior engine oilfield

Doug,

Would you like pictures of the water pump from my 7 1/2 x 10 Ajax? I've still got it loose and could take it back apart so you can see the insides. It's an interesting design.

keithw
Old 10-07-2006, 03:08:51 PM
Registered-III

My water pump appears to be the same as Keith's, except it may be a little smaller. It has a stainless shaft and an adjustable packing gland that uses either string packing or the little cup-type things. It's driven through a coupler and sits on a bracket alongside the cylinder just like the lubricator is located and driven on the later Ajax engines. Mine has been sitting outside for a long time with the water pipe that leads from the lower radiator tank missing, so it may be rusted up pretty bad from rainwater. It's definitely very stuck. There must be a pile of these things somewhere...
Old 10-07-2006, 08:58:34 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: superior engine oilfield

Hi Keith, I'd really like to see some pics of that water punp.

Patrick, I know where two 6 1\2X8 Superiors like ours are sitting. About 1 hour from Tulsa. So if you ever head this direction let me know and we can go check them out.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:09:41 AM
Registered-III

Photo Re: superior engine oilfield

Here are some pictures. My shaft is not stainless. The one bit inside that looks like a week old donut is supposed to be a star shaped rotor. Most of it has rusted away.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax38.jpg

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax39.jpg

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax40.jpg

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax41.jpg

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax42.jpg

keithw
Old 10-08-2006, 10:01:57 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Superior oilfield engine

Doug: I don't know when I could get loose to get up there, but if you get a chance to get those Superior engines and one is a "parts engine", I need a cast iron cover plate for the crosshead access window on the clutch side that has the clutch release lever support cast on it. Mine has been replaced with a welded-up replacement affair that works OK, but I'd like to find an original. I'm pretty sure it would look just like the one on Keith's engine. The only other Superior of this type that I know of around here is a big one. It's the size of an Ajax DP-115. I don't remember if it has clutch or water pump on it. It doesn't have a radiator on it now, but it may have had one. I'll try to drive out there and check it out tomorrow or Tuesday.