Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

P&H Harnischfeger WNG300 Welder/Generator

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 3043 times

Old 11-24-2014, 12:53:30 PM
Registered-I

Default P&H Harnischfeger WNG300 Welder/Generator

I picked this one up last week from CraigsList in a non-running state. I didn't know P&H made their own welders, but I remembered the name from old power shovels and cranes at the mines back home. The outside is rough, but the price was right and the seller said it basically just needed a carb rebuild. We drained the rusty gas from the carb bowl and got it running with an aux tank from one of the PE-75 gensets.

Video of the running machine:

http://youtu.be/qw81ltWILmc

Pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/mn6YY

Turns out someone really mangled the idle jet on the carb. The whole side of the threaded boss that the idle needle screws in to is busted out. I'm pretty sure the main jet is completely plugged and the machine is running on the enlarged idle jet only -- it dies if you open the throttle butterfly or if you open the vacuum bleed-off for 120 VDC mode.

It's powered by a Continental Red Seal F163, which carb problems aside seems to run great. It shows around 25 PSI oil pressure at idle. The hour meter reads 1166 hours, no idea if it actually works though. We're in a bit of warm weather (above freezing) so tonight it may get a radiator flush and new coolant. It'll get an oil change once we've finished the carb rebuild and get it up to operating temp.

The gas tank looks pretty horrible inside, we were losing light so I didn't get a really good look at it. It may get converted over to a fuel pump and jerry can adapter if it's too rough.

Generator side looks decent, brushes and commutator look alright. There was mouse fluff in the brush box, but it doesn't appear that the mice ate the windings or wires. Brushes appear to be plain carbon blocks without the embedded lead wire you sometimes see. Battery charging is through an external Delco-Remy alternator.

Does anyone have manuals or more information on these units? I haven't found anything online so far for the welder/generator portion. I have the Continental F163 manual. I can probably work through the generator since it's just a big version of any other DC generator, with a separate exciter.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2014, 04:51:11 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: P&H Harnischfeger WNG300 Welder/Generator

Finally found a similar Zenith carb on eBay, this one even has a cast iron throttle body. It arrived in the mail today, looks rebuildable, just dirty and the throttle body is a little rusty. Ordered a rebuild kit.