Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Lincoln H2 DC Welder.

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2072 times

Old 06-06-2014, 06:48:57 AM
Registered-II

Default Lincoln H2 DC Welder.

Have just acquired a derelict Lincoln H2 welder in need of some TLC. Has not run in quite a few years and has been jury rigged for battery ignition, which will need some attention. Appears to have been started by cranking through the welder generator, but this has been disconnected, and the rope start used.
Would like to get the electric start going again. Have cleaned the commutator, brushes look good and I have it cranking over with 12V applied between what appears to be a battery lead from the welder windings, and the Positive (Ground) welding output terminal. I get no result with the battery Neg. connected to the generator frame. Can anyone advise where to apply power to operate the start function, as I assume there is another connection besides the positive welding output socket to operate the starter.
Looked up the Lincoln site, but there appears to be no info on these really old machines. My guess is it's from late '60's or early 1970's, powered by an Onan CCK/S motor which seems in fair condition. Any info most welcome.
Regards, Combustor.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2014, 06:03:19 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Lincoln H2 DC Welder.

Worked on the H2 welder some more and got it running on 2 auto type resistor coils with primary windings in series, long enough to prove that the welder end will put out something approaching full power. Cleaned up the carby but hard to adjust for smooth running, still wants to surge and hesitate.
Does anyone know of a common double ended coil replacement that will work on battery power OK? Intend to play with one of the 3 coils from a modern V6 auto and see if it can be made to fire on battery and points. Anyone else tried this sort of thing, or am I wasting my time?
Still have not found where the second power connection goes to the welder windings to crank it for starting. The windings do not appear to have any connection to the frame. Guess I can bring out another lead from electrode positive (ground) terminal, as it seems to work on that connection.
Any info on Lincoln H2 welder Code 1TA2, Serial No. C60296 would be welcome. Regards, Combustor.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:49:18 AM
eMail NOT Working

A double-ended automotive coil SHOULD work, with only one note... modern ignition coils are designed with the expectation that the engine management computer will control firing electronically, and as a result, the DWELL TIME of the ignition primary circuit is regulated. Because of that assumption, the coils are frequently wound with a very low resistance, and low reactance primary... it allows the coil to go from zero to max current, hence, magnetic field, in the shortest possible time. This allows the ignition system to develop more spark energy, even when engine is running at a very high speed.

Points in your CCK are NOT, so the resultant dwell time can be quite a bit longer. This MAY result in your coil getting hot and burning out. One can easily combat this by installing a common automotive ballast resistor in series with the coil winding, and on your CCK, you won't even need any fancy bypass circuits- it should fire up and run off it with no drama. I couldn't guess as to proper value, but I'd just wire one in and use my hand to determine how hot the coil gets when running... if it gets really hot, add more ballast resistance.

As for start lead control, most CCK-based generators I've worked on, used a high-current 'START' button. My guess is that your Lincoln H2 probably had one, and it's missing. You could remote-start it by using an ordinary (generic) automotive starter solenoid...
Old 06-14-2014, 05:48:54 AM
Registered-II

Hello dkamp,
Thanks for the info on the automotive coils etc. May return to that system as time permits. Played about with the twin coils I have here, and finally determined by substitution that the condenser was in poor shape, so found a NOS one from an FJ Landcruiser, modified that and it fired up and ran very well. Currently have 2 resistor type coils with primary windings in series without a resistor, and the spark is excellent. No sign of coils heating up.
Five minutes welding near full output and the motor seems to have settled down to run very nicely, so I am encouraged to tidy the machine up and do some re-wiring, as i have a friend who could use the machine for a project.
Thanks again for your help and interest. Regards, Combustor.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:22:21 AM
eMail NOT Working

No problem, glad to hear you got it running... condensers work great when they do, and stink when they don't. Two resistor-types in series, with no resistors should be just fine. A non-resistor coil is wound to reach full saturation around 7-9v, so it can spank out a good spark under a heavy cranking load (resistor being bypassed by starter solenoid). With two in series, you'll never burn 'em up on 12v. We'll be building our own condensers before those coils die.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:48:24 AM
Registered-II

Hi again dkamp,
Finally finished playing with the Onan motor on the welder, and think I have it pretty much where I want it. Did some re-wiring and spent some time playing with carby settings till it governed smoothly over the speed range and started well. Will leave the two auto coils in series as it seems to work nicely. Can not tell whether the starting setup which cranks through the welder was 12v or 24v. It pauses a second on first compression and then cranks over and starts right away on a 12v battery, so will leave it that way. Spits a little oil out through the governor shaft but I am not tearing the motor right down to cure the problem as it will only see limited use, price of gas here being what it is. These old DC machines still run a very smooth weld. Not sure a new one would do better. Regards, Combustor.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:01:41 AM
Registered-II

Used one of these welders in the 70s, were a great machine, basically
they appeared to be a 250BT fitted with an Onan motor.
Would say they would run at 2,500 RPM max. Also had a 32Volt power outlet.
The one I used was a rope start.