Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Green horn needs help,,,

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1987 times

Old 09-05-1999, 11:49:36 PM
Mike Wurth

Default Green horn needs help,,,

I just obtained a single cly "hit and miss" powered bucking saw from a yard ##### and am dying to get it running. From reading some of the articles in this site I understand it is not wise to just "fire it up" and see how she runs without first going thru the engine to check all parts for wear. I agree with this and this is my first hurdle to jump. With no identifing numbers or brand name I don't know where to look for the proper manuals and how to ask questions or get advice on how to go about this rebuild. It looks like everything is there with the exception of the magneto. Everything turns freely and I feel good comppresion while turning the engine over by hand. I guess what I'm asking is WHERE DO I START??? Thankyou in advance. Mike Wurth

kkk
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-1999, 08:48:24 AM
Bob

Default Re: Green horn needs help,,,

First check for cracks anywere on the engine. Check to make sure that all spinning components are tight( rod bolts main bearing caps etc. ) Then you will need an ignition source. Then try to fire it up making sure all parts are free moving. use a small amount of gas in this prosess. Please, No eather!! Once the engine hits a few times and your shure the govener is working, Let it go! Plase make shure you lubricate everything real well. Good luck!!