Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Help with course of action for JD rebuild

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1598 times

Old 08-29-2006, 11:59:02 AM
Registered-III

Default Help with course of action for JD rebuild

Hello all, if someone would be kind enough to depart with some information to help this newbie out on rebuilding a '26 JD model E 1.5hp I'd be grateful!

I popped the top cover on the JD last night to eye-ball the innards, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I guess I'm planning to tear it down at this point.

The biggest thing that I saw is that corner chunks have broken off the upper and lower main bearings halves on the pulley side and scored the crank pretty good. I can see the score as it sweeps by the spot where the chunks of the bearing are gone. It looks obvious that the engine ran as the score looks smooth along the edges.

There is way too much thrust (side-to-side) play, I'm gonna guess that the thrust is adjusted by positioning the main bearings pushing out against the flywheels, with the crank gear aligned centered with the big idler gear, then tighten down the main caps. So I assume that if the thrust wasn't adjusted right, enough side-to-side hammering broke the bearing pieces off.

From what I could see of the piston and bore, they look about what I might expect, no bad looking things like scoring, a little browning from blow-by. I positioned the piston skirt bottom edge to the bore bottom edge, there's a little bit of rocking.

Feels like the lash between crank gear and big idler gear is excessive.

There's some interesting shim material along with normal looking shim material for the rod cap, some fiberous material like felt or something?

I dragged the mag wire along the crankcase under the cover edge where there wasn't any paint, did get a little sparking action so I won't worry about the mag right now, but I think the ignitor needs rebuilt. I don't think the points were aligned correctly and they are worn at an angle. The catch piece for the trip finger could probably be replaced too.

I don't see a set screw on the flywheels, do they just pull right off with a puller?

Haven't pulled the outside cover for the push rod assembly yet, there may be more news in there.

Sorry for the many questions, but thank you for any input your willing to part with! I'm just trying to layout a course of action in my head to make this JD 'right'!

Gilbert
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2006, 12:26:52 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,177 Times in 984 Posts
Default Re: Help with course of action for JD rebuild

Most likely the crank endplay will fix itself when you put in new mains with an intact thrust surface. You will need to remove the keys to get the fywheels off. Since they are headless, the easiest method is to drill & tap a hole in the end of the key to install a bolt or something for a puller to get ahold of. The flywheels should pretty much slide off with the key removed. When you pull the piston, make a note of its orientation. There is a notch in the skirt that has to be pointing the right direction or else you won't get oil to the cylinder. I'm not sure about the gear lash. These things aren't watches and still run pretty good with a fair amount of slop. Possibly the cam bearing is worn and creating some additional lash. Ask a lot of questions, search the archives & good luck with your project. Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 02:28:23 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert_Bates

The biggest thing that I saw is that corner chunks have broken off the upper and lower main bearings halves on the pulley side and scored the crank pretty good. I can see the score as it sweeps by the spot where the chunks of the bearing are gone. It looks obvious that the engine ran as the score looks smooth along the edges.
Ok, after a little searching I did read that the crank is grooved to sweep oil outwards. My 'score' in the crank does sweep outwards and after thinking about it, it'd be difficult for a bearing failure to cause a spiral groove like that as opposed to a circular groove. Close inspection to come, but I do feel a little better about it.

Does anyone 'recondition' cranks at a general level, just to make sure everything is right and true? Or if they look ok, is a set of new bearings and just put it back together standard proceedure?

Thanks again!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:08:06 PM
Subscriber

I rebuilt one that was in far worse shape..
I would not remove those flywheels unless for sone reason it was necessary. More problems that it is worth. I agree that new bearings will seat fine, and I would not worry about play. Yes the crank has a spiral for oil. If it is an earlier model, after putting the crankcase cover on and letting the gasket set, remove the top bolt to allow it to breathe. I did this and it is one of the few Deere's I have seen that did not leak oil from everywhere...mine is quite dry and no problems.
It is possible to replace the cam and gov bearings. I had to as the gov shaft rusted solid and broke off. I pounded them out with a sledge and appropriate back support with a piece of iron so no cracking of the block.
It worked well for me and 5 years later, it runs like a watch

Mike

See my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/standardtwin1
Old 08-29-2006, 09:37:17 PM
Subscriber

The nut on the govenor shaft has left hand threads, It will break if you tighten it to tight. Two sponsers on this board repair them. Tom