Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Old car Generators as Starter/generators

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 5351 times

Old 11-19-2009, 12:48:01 PM
Registered-II

Default Old car Generators as Starter/generators

I have access to an old car generator that should bolt up to my Bolens. It has two bolt/terminals for electrical hookup.
My question is, would it work like starter when power is applied?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 02:16:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,569 Times in 1,119 Posts
Default Re: Old car Generators as Starter/generators

A standard generator will spin, but has little torque. The starter generators were specially wound to do a poor job at both starting and genrating.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 11-19-2009, 03:00:54 PM
Sky

Thats what it is, is a STARTER/Generator. A multi-tasking unit. I agree they werent the best of design as they were slow recovering units, but they worked just fine at the time. And they'll still work today.

The only thing i would be concerned about is the rotation of this unit. You dont know if it spins clockwise or counter clock wise. The majority of engines run clockwise, but you do find some counter clock wise stuff out there.

On a side note it should put out 12 volt on a good idle and aprox. 16 full throttle. 16 volt is when then regulator will kick in to keep the output in check.

One thing i like about these units is that when you go to adjust your carburator, if you ever had to, you dont need a tach to reach proper idle R.P.M. Just look at the volt meter. When you reach 12, your at proper idle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 11-19-2009, 03:25:40 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,278 Posts
Exclamation Re: Old car Generators as Starter/generators

The generater used on early Chevy Corvair autos spin CCW. These generaters though were not meant to drive, and probably would burn out if you tried to use it as a starter. The Delco-Remy starter generaters were wound for their service. They would start the engine, and recharge the battery after about an houe's time. They were not made for a quick recharge. When using a lawn tractor, average use after starting was aproximatly 1.5 to 2 hours, more than enough time to recharge the battery. If the machine saw a lot of stop and go service, the battery would run down and have to be charged with a charger for a couple of hours.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 11-19-2009, 05:48:24 PM
Lead Head

A properly working starter-generator will be able to push out 10-20 amps of DC current, which is about on par with the alternator + regulator-rectifier setups later engines used.

Their main issue is they don't really have that much starting torque.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:24:09 PM
Registered-II

I appreciate the input, I just didn't want to put power to this and send sparks, or only work as a generator.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06:42 PM
Registered-I

do you know any thing about the chevy alternators that have the stator and rotors replaced with magnets
Old 07-18-2012, 01:41:03 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
The generater used on early Chevy Corvair autos spin CCW. These generaters though were not meant to drive, and probably would burn out if you tried to use it as a starter. The Delco-Remy starter generaters were wound for their service. They would start the engine, and recharge the battery after about an houe's time. They were not made for a quick recharge. When using a lawn tractor, average use after starting was aproximatly 1.5 to 2 hours, more than enough time to recharge the battery. If the machine saw a lot of stop and go service, the battery would run down and have to be charged with a charger for a couple of hours.
Andrew
Both of these are true. Especially the lawn tractor thing. Since Ive been working on my race mower, and i do alot of starting and stopping on it, I run the battery dead. Ive had to charge it once since I installed it. But it happens, when your trying to fine tune it, and are having a hugely difficult time like I am.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Also, starter/generators are still used today on aviation applications. Turbine engines use starter generators.