Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

The Original Hercules Engine, Palmer & Rey

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3291 times

Old 01-25-2011, 09:04:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,162 Times in 429 Posts
Cool The Original Hercules Engine, Palmer & Rey

I found these very cool advertisements for a Palmer and Rey Hercules engine from San Francisco, California.

I for one would love to find one of these early engines to add to my collection! And besides who wouldnt want an engine that would be about 100 years older than you are?

I figured this might help some of you out if you are researching Palmer and Rey, or happen to have one, I cant say that I have seen very many Palmer and Rey engines (only one in person) and these are the only advertisements I have ever seen for them as well.

This one is from 1892 so its about 119 years old!

This 1892 advertisement states Portland Oregon as a location, so they must have had a selling agent in Portland Oregon as well to buy engines from.

Again I hope most of you enjoy these advertisements, and hopefully these ads may be of help to those of you with these cool rare engines!

Enjoy!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Chris J For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 01:15:18 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,250 Times in 322 Posts
Default Re: The Original Hercules Engine, Palmer & Rey

Here's a few of those engines I've ran accross:
http://www.herculesengines.com/hercu...0Hercules.html
I too would love one in my barn.
Keith
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Kinney For This Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 02:59:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 255 Posts

The engine in the adds is very similar to Larry Snows 1892 Hercules. Gilbert Merry's Hercules engine is an 1893 model with electric ignitor that consist of a flat spring electrode in the head and a ratchet device that makes contact with the flat spring. Palmer & Rey's no electric spark claim did not last long. It also has a place for burner and chimney. The engine has a belt driven flyball governor that controls the lift of the intake valve by a sliding ramp-wedge thereby adjusting the amount of fuel and air for speed control--an ingenious design for early 1890's. Unusual outward appearance, raised cast lettering and pierced designs in the castings --Palmer & Rey incorporated Victorian artwork in their engines. I got the story wrong a few years back on where Gilbert found his Hercules. Here is the correct story and maybe good advice if someone offers you a Hercules for sale. Gilbert was showing at Brooks Ore. steam-up in the late 1970's when a fellow walked up and offered him a Hercules engine for 200.00. Other collecters there had turned the gentleman down thinking it way too much for a common Hercules engine. On the way home , after the show, he stopped by to look at the engine and was surprised to find a rare vertical California engine with Hercules cast into the base. He paid the 200.00 for the engine and brought it back the next week-end to the show--you can imagine the sinking feeling some collectors had that turned the offer down a week before. Another similar incident happened at Brooks just several years ago with another California Hercules engine. Don't be fooled by the Hercules name--be sure to look at it before you turn it down. The Palmer & Rey name was dropped in the late 1890's to become Hercules Gas Engine Works, San Francisco, California.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to John Merry For This Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 10:18:10 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,162 Times in 429 Posts

John, That is a Great engine Gilbert has, glad I had the pleasure of seeing it run! Thank You.

I had some spare time today after college classes and did some more digging into Palmer and Rey, didnt have too much time, but I will share what I found. Again I hope this helps some of you out!

Info Advertisement:

This I was amazed to find, Even has specifications on the bottom as well as how much it cost new in 1892!

Steam Engine they also built:

And lastly Palmer and Rey's main business, Printing Supplies:

Hope you all enjoy some of this great history!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris J For This Post:
Old 01-27-2011, 12:35:31 AM
Registered-III

Chris,

Nice Ads!

Thanks,
Bob