Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Photos
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Photos OLD gas engines, hot air engines, Diesels and steam engines. An electronic photo gallery to showcase the best of your old engine collection.

Antique Engine Photos

Wonder gasoline engine waterloo Iowa (help)

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 1086 times

Old 04-05-2017, 08:02:30 AM
Registered-I

Default Wonder gasoline engine waterloo Iowa (help)

Hi I am looking at buying this engine. I don't know a lot about it. The tag identifies is as:

'Wonder gasoline engine' 'construction machinery waterloo iowa'
serial number 512823
HP 3 1/2

The engine was in a barn under cover. It looks good but I don't know much about it. I think it is a hit or miss governed engine? It appears to be in pretty nice shape but hard to tell if it is missing parts from the pictures.

I'm wondering if the cart may be original and possibly the year of manufacture. If you may have any thoughts on this I would love to hear what you think. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4157.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	279318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4158.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	279319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4159.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	279320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4160.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	279321  

The Following User Says Thank You to Bolens For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 08:03:43 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Wonder gasoline engine waterloo Iowa (help)

Here's a few more pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4161.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	279322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4162.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	279323  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:21:08 AM
Sponsor

It is an Associated hit and miss engine tagged by Wonder and might have been on a Wonder cement mixer originally. The year would be 1924. The cart looks homemade to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Metal For This Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 08:31:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,644 Times in 1,448 Posts

Cart is make shift, but makes moving the engine easier, I see the mixer (carb), has the crank and magneto (+). They are nice runners with a long connecting rod. Can't tell if it has any cracks, breaks, welds, if the flywheels run true, etc.. It looks complete, and if the price is right , just buy it , I would , and I collect IHC engines . Here is a link to my Wonder-Associated engine.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160024
Old 04-05-2017, 08:38:44 AM
Registered-I

Thank you Heavy Metal. I have the opportunity to purchase it. I'm not sure just what to offer but having your insight is great at least I know what it is. I make an offer on it. If I get it I may be asking a few questions and hopefully get it up and running again.

---------- Post added at 08:38:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34:42 AM ----------

Hi Paul,

Thank you much for your info. I'm doing this via long distance and have not seen it in person. I'll be checking out your link. I think he would take between $300-400 for it as is. He's only cleaning out the barn and selling off all the stuff. I'd like to see it go to a good home which would be mine If it's original I would keep it that way, not strip and repaint.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:42:57 AM
Sponsor

If you can get it at that price that's a great deal. I'd say worth double that and once running again off the mag, worth about triple.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Metal For This Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 08:47:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,644 Times in 1,448 Posts

Like I said, if the price is right (it is), I would just buy it even though my passion is mostly IHC engines .
Old 04-05-2017, 09:02:50 AM
Registered-I

Hi guys, thanks for the info! I'll let you know if I can get it. I can offer more now that I have an idea of value. I'll keep you posted and much appreciated!
Old 04-05-2017, 09:26:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,496 Times in 2,296 Posts

I seen this on FB to it is a rerated 3hp Associated Mule team, correct on date of around 1924, maybe a year or so earlier , or, someone put the 4 bolt mag on it at some point, most had the 2 bolt JD mag by this date. At 300-400? you better snag that fish, before it gets snagged by someone else, IF, that 4 bolt mag is good,the pot metal ones where the last of the 4 bolts and have a tendency to strip threads on bottom and deteriorate, hairline crack, that alone is 300, mag bracket is 100+, These are good runners to, Wonder made all kinds of construction equipment , and cement mixers where their specialty, and painted most of their stuff green....A edit ,the cart is something someone stuck under it to make it roll, they started the 3 Mule team numbers at 50,000 , I dont know if wonder had their own numbers , but look on the end of crankshaft, Associated marked their numbers there , on igniter side, that is who actually built it and was sold to Wonder and they tagged it, like Craftsman chainsaw of long ago they where Homelites..Or GMC is Cheverolet with a few mods

Last edited by Rich Mueller Sr; 04-05-2017 at 09:37:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Mueller Sr For This Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 10:37:02 AM
Sponsor

Below is a link that might be helpful. It states the up rating happened at the beginning of 1924 when the 3hp went to a 3 1/2hp. The starting serial number for the 3 1/2hp on the 1st of January 1924 was 512750. Your serial numbers only 73 off of that starting number so I'd say you have an early 1924 engine.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/smi...atedpage03.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Metal For This Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 12:09:05 PM
Registered-I

Hi Paul, Rich, Heavy Metal. Thanks for all the info. I love your engine Paul, great video. Rich, there's a place on FB where I can find more info? You mentioned that you saw it there. I'd like to check it out. I'm kinda hoping that I would be able to purchase this one. I just want to make it run again and enjoy it.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:33:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,496 Times in 2,296 Posts

I seen you had your engine posted on Hit and miss engine collectors or another group a while back, cant remember when or where. It looked like a nice engine, I have no. 50942 in my collection ,it is the straight trip probably first year in 1915 3 Mule team, the price you mentioned would be a VERY good deal if no cracks breaks or welds , good cyl and true wheels!! That link Heavy metal posted is one of the best sites for the Associated line, United Type A engines are another Associated made, but only the United Johnny 11/2 hp and one other engine, have to read up on it again, share the serial number, sadly no dating has surfaced on those , welcome to the addiction and hope you have a big shed, LOL these old birds can get to breeding mighty fast....Oh IF you get it, and at a show, and a rain storm comes up , make sure the crankcase is not filled up, got caught in a storm and the crank case area has no oil drain, it will throw nasty oil- water all over the place, lol
Old 04-06-2017, 12:41:43 PM
Registered-I

Hi Rich, thanks for that info. Yes, picked up a very nice original 2HP alamo about 3 years ago from an older gentleman who said it was his Dad's. I'll see if I can find that post for you. It's mostly original in color with some decals still in tact..... I am cleaning and clear coating it to keep it original.

So the one I'm looking into I can get for $350. It has a weld/braze on the front head. It has good compression according to the guys who pulled it from the barn. It sure looks complete from all the pictures I can see. Mention of that magneto and some of the issues seen could present a problem for me though. I won't know unless I get it and have a closer look at everything. This one would be the biggest one I own at 3 1/2 HP. Yes these things are massive. One is in my shed with my antique Bolens tractors, the other tucked away in the garage till I finally get it going.

I've got a very nice 2 1/2 HP Lauson that was restored when I bought it. It's on a very nice steel cart looks original and runs awesome. So this could be my 3rd engine if I get it. I attached a closer picture of that weld/braze job on this Waterloo what do you think, would it be worth buying? I just want to make it breathe fire again. Thanks to everyone for all your replies and info much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Img_4163a.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	279412  
Old 04-06-2017, 12:49:56 PM
Registered-I

Here's the link to my other two engines. Maybe I posted this Waterloo in the wrong section???

my alamo

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137044

my lauson

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137043
Old 04-07-2017, 12:15:32 PM
Registered-I

I decided to take a chance and buy it with the brazed/welded head (see closeup picture from my last post). Worst case there is a very good weld shop nearby that I could get it welded again and ground down nicely(I hope). Hopefully I made a good choice I'll have it in my garage tomorrow wish me luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bolens For This Post: