Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Cream Separator Demo at shows

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2036 times

Old 07-11-2006, 02:02:26 AM
Registered-III

Default Cream Separator Demo at shows

I want to demo a cream separator at shows for all the people who have never seen one. And there are more and more people every day that haven't seen one. My question is: Does anyone know of a couple of liquids I could mix together and run through the separator and then mix them up again and run them through again. Whole fresh milk is great but it is a problem to keep cool at the shows and to clean up etc. and be able to demo all day for a couple days. We would have a sour mess and waste a lot of good milk. Any ideas out there.
Thanks. Steve in Nebraska
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 10:14:34 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,265 Times in 2,470 Posts
Default Re: Cream Separator Demo at shows

DeLaval was also famous for clarified petroleum oils. I wonder if a cream separator would clean up used engine oil. Most likely it would be a worse mess than the milk.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:24:16 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,200 Posts

It's a good thought Steve,
I've wondered about it a bit myself...
I'm brainstorming here... how about some light oil like olive oil and a dyed water? Of course they would mostly separate themselves, but that's basically all skim milk is "dyed water"- and the cream is fat or oil so...
Ask some chemist what makes a good "emulsion" (like vinegar and oil dressing shaken up) you can combine the two and then separate them for the crowd. OR, is there possibly any way to chemically treat the milk so that it wouldn't sour? That's a long shot, but something to think about. Lots of the nasty groceries we eat aren't so far from that either! Kevin
Old 07-12-2006, 05:55:37 AM
DanR

Many moons ago in the Navy we used a mixture of JP-4 and water for cleaning. Mixed up it looked like skim milk. Little or no seperation for a long time. Interesting demo.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51:29 AM
Registered-I

Water based coolant lubricant for milling machines may work I have some in a horizontal mill that is pretty and white looks about like milk???