Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Engine Showing Opportunity

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1953 times

Old 10-12-2002, 07:05:35 PM
Tim Claremont

Default Engine Showing Opportunity

We were out driving around today and came across a farm that had a corn maze and pumpkins and stuff. Out in front was an old Allis-Chalmers tractor that they were actually allowing the kids to sit on and climb all over. (It was not operational, as the engine was seized, but it was painted up and looking quite sharp!)

After talking to the owner I decided to ask if I could bring my old engines down, figuring it would draw some interest.

He was very receptive to the idea and was quite interested in seeing what I had.

Soooo, for the next couple of weekends I will be displaying some engines, and hopefully showing some people what they are all about.

See, engine shows are where ever you make them!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2002, 07:25:57 PM
Bill In Indiana

Default Re: Engine Showing Opportunity

"See, engine shows are where ever you make them!"

Exactly...cool idea, and a way to reach some folks that might not ordinarily go to a show....a good chance to educate GREAT idea!!!! -Bill In Indiana
Old 10-12-2002, 09:58:06 PM
Vic Pankoski

Just simply amaizing Tim !!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 05:33:56 PM
Bud Kent

Tim, you are absolutely right.

Just last week, my wife and I along with another "engine" couple had lunch at a sandwich shop in a local shopping center. I had a few of my homemade small flywheel engines in the back of my pickup. After eating, we were talking about some club activities when I noticed a couple of fellows looking through the windows of my bed cap.

I excused myself and went out to greet the guys and they said they were "just wondering" what I had in there. I opened the tailgate and pulled a couple of the engines out onto the tailgate so they could get a better look.

They were fascinated and impressed. After about an hour, the crowd that had gathered began to dwindle and I put my toys to bed.

I have made a few new friends and possibly have a couple of new club members just by taking the time to be friendly.

When opportunity knocks, sieze it. You never know what will develop.

Keep up the good work, Tim. Bud Kent
Old 10-14-2002, 10:20:49 PM
Dave Showerman

My wife runs a licenced day care from our home. I usually entertain the fathers with the old engines, while they wait for their child to arrive from school. I think / know I have the most fun. Dave in Holt.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:53:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,820 Times in 1,718 Posts

On the way home from shows(usually early Sunday mornings because I have to be at work Sunday evening at 10:30), I stop by my favorite FLEA MARKET(owner love's it ) and get the regulars all wound up . Then I park out front by the main road and just hang around running the engine on the trailer showing folks the "OLD ENGINE" for a few hours before the final 20 minute ride home. Sure do get a lot of folks looking and asking all sorts of questions . Most don't even have a clue what it is and what it was used for. We just turn on the switch at home to do most jobs don't we . Just trying to have some fun on the way through, even in NJ . Paul