Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Electronic Ignition

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 8249 times

Old 01-26-2007, 07:54:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,623 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default Electronic Ignition

About 5 years ago I installed electroninc ignition on a few Onan JBs. Small balck box, used the existing points as the trigger, they just lasted a whole lot longer. Can't find the part number and the parts guy at Cummins is convinced that I've finally lost the last of my marbles. Got a JB with it at a customers site, no part numbers on the box. Anybody help me out on this?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2007, 08:48:36 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Electronic Ignition

I can't help you but I know B&S had a electronic conversion kit-probably still do, not sure. I used one on my lawnmower 8 years ago . just had to cut the wires to the points and slide the electronic module onto the coil and solder wires. Really a nice deal I thought. DAn
Old 01-27-2007, 09:45:09 AM
Registered-III

Try manufacturerssupply.com and see if they still have them
Old 01-27-2007, 10:00:32 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,059 Posts

Gunny,

I do not know Onan's so I ask this question. Is the engine magneto ignition? If so Sten's has a universal electronic replacment for the magneto points and condenser. It is called Mega-Fire.

Kent
Old 01-27-2007, 11:37:23 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,476 Times in 811 Posts

The one for the onans and wisconsins were made by Pertronix Here is there website. http://pertronix.com/ They dont show the ones for small engines so you will have to email them for you application. Here is the link from where i bought mine for a wisconsin. http://ebay.com/Pertronix-electronic-ignition
Old 01-27-2007, 12:06:06 PM
Registered-III

Neither the Strattec (B&S) nor the Pertronix units use the existing points for the trigger.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:21:35 PM
Registered-III

Yow . . . $50 and you still have points whose rubbing block can wear and retard the timing -- not so much a problem on the Onans, granted. Yeah, I guess the beauty of this is in the "bolt-on" simplicity: no fabrication required.

Anecdotally, my father had one of this class of unit on a rig years ago. The points trigger a transistor that performs the real coil current switching, so the points see very little current flow. His points would crap up anyway. They wouldn't lose material, they'd just get oil vapors and such on them and fail to provide enough trigger current.

That's what I like about the Pertronix (or equivalent) approach: no points. But installing a Pertronix is a lot more work than bolting on a switcher box, at least it is the way I did it, or the way Vaughn did it.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:27:54 PM
Registered-III

Asavage, that was funny. DAn
Old 01-27-2007, 10:32:56 PM
Registered-III

One of the tricks when building your own electronic ignition is to add a resistor to bring the point current up to a few hundred milliamps. This keeps the dust and oil film cleaned off. A number of Honda cars use a nice little module in the distributor that is great for building your own ignition systems. Not sure if it would work with a magneto system.

keithw
Old 01-28-2007, 02:47:23 AM
Registered-III

I can't believe how bad I have missed the boat. I've been working with magnetos since I was 12 (now 58) and never replaced a set of points. Several condensers and even a coil or two, but never the points. The reason may be that I've probably only worked on near a thousand engines, but I sure must have messed up somewhere. The last big Briggs I bought on a flail mower (18HP) was converted when I got it and it was hard to start, jerked back starting and quit hot easily or loaded too suddenly. Tired of pulling and fed up with the pissy little spark I bought an original type coil for half the price of the electronic, against everyones recomendations, cleaned up the original points with a little WOD 400. It now starts if you look at it crosseyed and it can't be stopped except by no fuel or the kill switch. No kick while gently rolling it over to start either. I still have the engine (runs like new)off a 1958 Sears mower that quit after less than a year. No one could get it to run so out in the woods it went. I retrieved it, (around 1960) connected a condenser I found in dads tool box to the point side of the kill circuit, and ran it till the wheels wore to the rims and the housing rusted through ( 5 years ago) . Many Cushmans, Wisconsins, B&S, Lausons, Power products, West Bends, McColouchs, Homelites, Jacobsons, Stils, Continentals, one Blue streak, Clintons, Whizzers, Techumses, Kohlers, IH, Case, Mineapololis Moline, Onans, One Maytag, Johnsons, Evinrudes, Mercurys, Scott Atwaters, to name a few. Then I grew old enough to drive and started working on cars. Maybe that WOD 400 is the answer; always worked for me.