Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan DJE Genset

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 1797 times

Old 06-16-2018, 02:53:42 PM
Registered

Default Onan DJE Genset

Hope someone with some onan experience can help me out here, picked up an onan dje genset that was abandoned for many years, got the engine running after rebuilding the inj pump, its making power but the voltage fluctates wildly, theres no id tags anywhere on it so have no idea what model or serial # , the gen is 4 pole with what appears to be an alternator seperate . There are no brushes or slip rings that I can see. There is some kind of electronic board with 2 transformers, diodes, transistors and many resistors. No idea if this has anything to do with field regulation or not, is there a simple way of having this set produce power reliably without the electronic junk that makes it near impossible to tell whats going on?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2018, 02:58:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,559 Posts
Default Re: Onan dje genset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58871meteor View Post
...is there a simple way of having this set produce power reliably without the electronic junk that makes it near impossible to tell whats going on?
Nope. Get the Onan YD manual here - http://www.skilledcrafting.com/onanf...0(11-1983).pdf - and go from there.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:20:14 PM
Registered

So that appears to be the reason it was abandoned.. I won't run anything thats electronic, too unreliable and untrustworthy, looked at said manual and within 2 pages my answer was to replace the electronics.. very dissapointing..
Old 06-16-2018, 03:23:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 15,009 Times in 7,081 Posts

Look on the side by the oil fill tube. You will find six numbers stamped into the block. That is the serial number. With that we can look up the production order. Tell you what you have.

That is a 300-1540 A C regulator board. Flight Systems can repair it or check it out. They do good work at a good price. They are honest. I have used them for years.

As Wayne said get the YD manual. It has all the information you need. You have a very good unit. Get it back into shape and take care of it. It will last for years. Any information you need you can ask here. We are here to help and the information is free.

I have been with Onan since 1980. The DJE is one of the best units made. I serviced plenty of them in the oil fields. If you give up on it. You will be making a big mistake. I started in the generator field in 1968. Seen many changes over the years. I would trust your unit. Before I would trust anything made in that class today.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:34:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,380 Posts

Quote:
...is there a simple way of having this set produce power reliably without the electronic junk that makes it near impossible to tell whats going on?
Well...

Sort of. Assuming the generator itself isn't pooched, just connect 12V DC to the field. The generator WILL "produce power reliably". It's just that it won't be 120V and it won't be regulated...

---------- Post added at 03:32:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24:22 PM ----------

Quote:
...There is some kind of electronic board with 2 transformers, diodes, transistors and many resistors. No idea if this has anything to do with field regulation ...

A lot of people have found that they were actually able to read the Onan manual, figure out what to do with the 4 wires that connect to the 'electronic board' and swap in a $30 SX460.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139868

---------- Post added at 03:34:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32:42 PM ----------

Quote:
...I won't run anything thats electronic, too unreliable and untrustworthy, looked at said manual and within 2 pages my answer was to replace the electronics.. very dissapointing..
I know. The damn thing only lasted 40 years. POS electronics, eh?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 04:56:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,167 Times in 4,482 Posts

This is the electronic AC voltage reg in mine, yours should be similar.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attac...6&d=1473996863

Testing genhead without voltage reg

On my JB I disconnected and taped the F1/F2 feild wires at genhead and applied 12 VDC ( car bat, 12.6 actually) to windings, got ~ 145 VAC out the 120V leads at no load. Field Draws about 1 amp.

If you add a resistor ( ~ 3.5 ohms, 3 watt) in series with field winding you can get field current down to ~ .8 amp and you'll get ~120VAC out so you can put a ~1500 watt hair dryier on so you can run it under a little load.

But without reg as you draw power out the 120/240 VAC lines voltage will sag. Also that voltage will vary with rpm, higher rpm= higher votlage. On my Onan 7NHM I was able to start off with ~ 125 VAC and it sagged to ~ 110 when I loaded it with ~ 1/3 of gen rated kw. DJB likely will do something similar. But this is good enough for testing the genhead, before you spend money on a reg.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:13:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McIntyre View Post
...The damn thing only lasted 40 years. POS electronics, eh?
Old 06-16-2018, 06:04:29 PM
Registered

Lol, well its been sitting in the corner of a barn since the 70s so I dont think it has seen much use, I personally have had horrible luck with electronics so have a bias to not trust them , 2 vehicle and 1 shop loss due to computer related fire was enough for me! Anyway, from what I have deduced, if i feed regulated 12 v .75-1.2A power into the exciter field it should make 120ish volts on the hot lines, both make power , but a disc grinder hooked up sounds awful, the engine runs great now after the pump work so I would really love to keep it running, I dont give up easily so if theres a way I will make it work
Old 06-16-2018, 06:05:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,546 Posts

You stated that the set sat for many years. Is the governor keeping the engine steady? Plus, with sitting, the electrical connections need to be checked for mouse pee corrosion and any push on terminals, I usually check them for snugness AND I remove and replace them on the tabs a few times to re-establish a good connection. Like Billy said, you have a GOOD dependable unit if properly maintained and st up right. If yours has the potentiometers on the voltage regulator, mark where they are set then with the generator not running, work them back and forth. This will help to clean the variable resistor.
I have a tri fueled late JB and with a little bit of "Love", the set sits outside of my home in the factory enclosure, hooked up to my natural gas line, ready to run my essential circuits at a moments notice.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:23:43 PM
Registered

I went through and cleaned everytjing meticously, as an engine machinist cleanliness is paramount , yes gov holds rpm perfectly stable, i dissassembled the injectors and cleaned them as well before I ever fired it. I believe it was parked because of the pump issue, the plunger with the adjustable rack gear had the plunger drive tangs broken off so I machined up a new rack barrel and brought it to life, I am sure the gen is also good, just needs the love.