Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Miller AE-AD 200le welder

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 167 times

Old 07-18-2019, 08:22:25 AM
Registered

Default Miller AE-AD 200le welder

Hey guys my 1966 Miller AE-AD 200le engine drive welder runs great (Onan CCK-MS) it also generates AC power but when I switch it to DC weld it either wonít strike an arc at all or if it does it will be really hard to keep it going and it welds like crap. Iíve cleaned up the brushes on the generator but I donít know what else it could be. Any info is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2019, 09:25:05 PM
Registered

Default Re: Miller AE-AD 200le welder

I would check your leads and ground cable first. I had a bad lead on one of mine. I had to cut off the last 5 feet and then it welded good.
Also the Onan has an adjustment screw on the bottom of the carburetor. If the engine bogs when striking an arc this will cause bad weld or an inability to weld. You have to turn it counter clockwise a quarter turn at a time until the engine smooths out under load. Another issue could be the resistors that attach to the plug in out puts. I had an issue with 2 different machines where where 1 resistor was broken and 1 had broken the spot weld attaching it to the next one in series. If the spot weld is broken you may get some arc but as the engine vibrates the resistor it will be intermittent and / or may stop welding altogether. I rolled a hole and bolted it back together and this worked
Another issue would be the RPM setting or govenor set up. If the engine rpm is to low you could get no arc or a poor arc.if the govenor spring tension is not proper then you would lose arc under load.