Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Fairbanks Morse 32 Volt D.C. Generator Set

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 3972 times

Old 11-08-2017, 10:27:19 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 32 Volt D.C. Generator Set

I have a 1960's military dc power unit. Little genny in a box, makes up to 32 volts dc. and 110 volts ac at 400 hrtz. Not many amps. I occasionally use it to power an electric fan out of an older chevy impala. I dial down the rpms so it wont burn up that fan. seems like it would take off into the air at 32 volts. I would love to find an old farm radio to run with it.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2017, 06:58:18 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: 32 Volt D.C. Generator Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Well, one use that would be fun, if a person had an "off grid" electrical system based on a 24 volt battery, it would be easy to dial back the speed to make it ideal for charging at the required 26 ~ 28 volts.
I have a couple of ex US Navy 48S-6 12v units, one of which gets used for exactly that purpose!
The other I use as a battery charger for my cars, it puts out 30 Amps so doesn't take long at all to revive a flat battery enough to start the car. Electric start is a life saver, as well!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:42:46 PM
Registered

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse 32 Volt D.C. Generator Set

32 volts DC was a common standard for railroad passenger cars, along with 64 volts DC. This unit would have been parked next to a passenger car in a yard to charge the batteries. There was usually a battery-charging receptacle on the side of the car. On the road, the cars had an axle-driven generator. These used belts (early) or a geared drive and universal joint shaft (later) to turn the generator once a certain speed was attained. Batteries sustained the car in the station or at low speeds. Later under-car generators had a 240 VAC 3 phase motor incorporated into them at one end that would turn the unit into a rotary converter when plugged in. It's this later development that probably rendered the unit you have surplus.

Depending on the type of air conditioning, the electrical needs of a passenger car go from wild to mild. Heat was uniformly from steam. The largest cooling draw would be the compressor motor of 8-10 hp for an electro-mechanically cooled car. Some cars used ice (the melt water was pumped into a cooling coil inside) or steam ejector air conditioning (a steam nozzle creates low pressure above water, causing it to boil and cool rapidly). In either of these two, the electrical load was reduced to little more than lights and a blower motor.

There was a third oddball, which was propane driven air conditioning compressors and sometimes generators.

When Amtrak started operations in 1971, they inherited many of these systems, some of which were incompatible, from the original railroad operators.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llafro For This Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 03:29:21 PM
Registered-I

I bought it at an auction. The man who owned it got it out of the railroad building he was working at, which was a locomotive repair shop. It had been in storage there and when the railroad here merged with a larger railroad, they closed down our shop building and transferred all the employees to other shops on the system. When they got word that the place was closing, everything that wasn't bolted down disappeared, I'd guess.
He did tell me that it was used over at the passenger station and was connected to passenger cars, but he wasn't around way back then so he only knows what he was told~ they quit running passenger trains here in 1965.... and I'd say he started working in the diesel shop about 1968.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeE. For This Post: