Old Engine Memorials

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Old Engine Memorials
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old Engine Memorials We each know a collector who has passed that meant something to us and this is a place for our final salute, a place of memories for all to share.

Old Engine Memorials

Alan Schurman

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1674 times

Old 03-08-2019, 12:12:26 PM
Administrator

Thanked 13,807 Times in 2,364 Posts
Default Alan Schurman

I received a message from AKMark that Alan Schurman passed away. I don't have any details just thought I would l would let you know.

Obituary
As a young boy, Alan Schurman’s family collected and restored old tractors,
saving them from the junk man. In 1950, Alan’s father, Paul Schurman held the “First
Steam Threshing Bee on the West Coast,” displaying and operating old farm equipment.
In 1951, Alan’s uncle, Clyde Schurman and his father, Paul Schurman, saved and
restored a rare Compound Russel Steam Traction Engine, documented in an article
published in Iron-Man Album magazine of July 1951. Alan was only eight years old in
1950, just a spectator. Over time, his father’s and uncle’s love of old machinery became
Alan’s passion.

Alan graduated from the Oregon Institute of Technology, Klamath Falls Oregon,
with a degree in Engineering, and became a teacher at Clark College in Vancouver.
Years later, Alan became the manager of the Schurman family machine shop, founded
by his father. He worked there until retiring, then used his engineering and metal
fabricating skills to restore antique tractors and engines. He also collected old iron.
Starting in 1995, Alan hosted the “Antique Tractor, Engine Show and Flea
Market,” held annually in July at the Schurman Iron Ranch, Ridgefield, Washington.
In 2016, Alan was elected to the National Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor
Association, Hall of Fame, “honoring those who have made significant
contributions to the collection, preservation, and exhibition of antique tractors,
engines, and equipment.”

Alan’s skill in restoring rare tractors to original condition was widely known.
Tractors restored include those made by; Holt, Best, Yuba, Samson and Bean. Recent
projects include a 1918 Holt 120hp Caterpillar, and a 1917 Samson Sieve-Grip tractor.
Alan’s most ambitious project, started seven years ago, was the reconstruction of
three large Best 75hp tractors, each weighing 14-tons. Alan started with just half of the
needed parts. He fabricated all missing parts, including the; sprockets, transmissions,
final drives, tracks and frames. One tractor required the construction of massive 7.5 foot
diameter wheels. This monumental project was nearing completion when Alan passed.
In restoring old tractors, Alan’s skills were legendary; both as an engineer, and as
a machinist and welder. He was loved and deeply appreciated by those that knew him,
and respected by all who shared his passion for old machinery. He was a man of
integrity, honesty, a man willing to share his knowledge and willing to help others.

Someone that will be sincerely missed.

https://www.edgeta.com/hall-of-fame/alan-schurman/

Program copies from Tom Madden:
Went to the service on the 8th. Very nice and well attended. I am sure going to miss that guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	330854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	330855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	330856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	330857  
Old 03-08-2019, 01:49:15 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Alan Schurman

Sad to hear of this news and thanks for letting us know. All our thoughts reach out to the Schurman family and friends.

I sort of have a small connection on this as one of my research projects on my a 7hp Alamo.
The engine was recovered from a mansion estate taken by eminent domain during the construction of I-5 in Oregon. The Alamo was each owned at one time by each Clyde and Paul Schurman. I was never successful in hearing back from Alan Schurman, but a close associate of the Schurman family shared to me that most-likely Alan Shurman removed the engine from the home.
In 2007 the Alamo engine was sold at auction from the estate of Clyde Schurman.
A little piece of "Schurman" history resides comfortably in New England. I'm sure Alan would be pleased.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:29:22 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,257 Times in 281 Posts

Alan was laid to rest today and his funeral was very well attended by many old iron lovers. Many spoke of how giving Alan was with his time and knowledge and what a kind and gentle man he was. A few years ago I was chosen to be the next caretaker of the 50 Hp Foos that is pictured in Harry's post. RIP until we meet again!
Old 03-09-2019, 11:11:18 PM
Subscriber

He was the kind of guy who treated you like a friend the first time you met him. A people person first. A real joy to be around. I think he used Iron to bring folks together.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:10:50 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,525 Times in 2,400 Posts

So, so, so sorry to hear that this fine gentleman has passed on! I bought a set of gearing for my 13 HP Gaar-Scott from him that I had tried to deal on for awhile from him. I visited him at his place, and greatly enjoyed meeting him and seeing his huge collection.

I am sure he will be sorely missed.

Mike
Old 03-12-2019, 09:14:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,607 Times in 1,144 Posts

I first met Alan back when I was about 12 or 13 at one of his first shows at Ironranch. At the same time I got a ride on his 30-90 Undermount Avery, talk about a first good impression! I blame that moment for turning me into what I have today, having a love of steam and old engines. Dad first got introduced to Alan when he was restoring his Model A Ford coupe, looking for someone to rebuild the engine for him, Alan took on the job.

Alan did us several favors over the years, including sleeving 2 engine blocks, refusing to take payment he just wanted to help us out. We tried to return the favors over the years but were never even close to being even.

One trip I remember was when we went down to Silver City, NV to help him drag a 4 cylinder general electric engine out of an old mine site. I don't know if it ever got running but it was nice to help him save it.

As mentioned by others, Alan was always a gentleman and always had time to talk to you. Some of the projects he worked on were nothing short of amazing on what he could recreate. I remember a 6 cylinder model T engine he build out of 2, just because, and also an early Rambler car he was working on, building the axles and transmission from nothing. Very very talented man and will be missed.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:58:16 PM
Administrator

Thanked 13,807 Times in 2,364 Posts

Program copies attached to post #1 from Tom Madden:
Went to the service on the 8th. Very nice and well attended. I am sure going to miss that guy.