Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters Antique lighting fixtures, bulbs, switches, meters and controls.

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters

rare pre 1900 AC 1 1/2 hp motor

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 767 times

Old 10-24-2018, 01:05:25 PM
Registered

Default rare pre 1900 AC 1 1/2 hp motor

can't find a post for vintage fractional hp motors, but would like to have vintage electric collectors aware of this, the Edmonton Power Historical Foundation (ephf.ca) has a youtube video of a 1/2 hp unit running, this motor required some repair to restore to running & the example in ebay post is 220 vac & 1 1/2 hp but very similar, as always we already have one but if this had been available locally some effort to acquire would have occurred.
watch the video to see this in operation & realize the significance of having higher torque start ac motors to industry, ac motors propelled most utilities from being a street light system to being a power utility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KdaipeodLo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223200029341?ul_noapp=true
The Following User Says Thank You to diggin4s For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 02:14:34 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: rare pre 1900 AC 1 1/2 hp motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggin4s View Post
can't find a post for vintage fractional hp motors, but would like to have vintage electric collectors aware of this, the Edmonton Power Historical Foundation (ephf.ca) has a youtube video of a 1/2 hp unit running, this motor required some repair to restore to running & the example in ebay post is 220 vac & 1 1/2 hp but very similar, as always we already have one but if this had been available locally some effort to acquire would have occurred.
watch the video to see this in operation & realize the significance of having higher torque start ac motors to industry, ac motors propelled most utilities from being a street light system to being a power utility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KdaipeodLo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223200029341?ul_noapp=true
I have one of these in mint unrestored condition and there is one now on the BAY and there are others of them around too...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OttoEngineMan For This Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 02:44:35 PM
Registered

Intent of post was to highlight evolution of AC motors with starting windings the AC motor became more than a fan/sewing machine/organ pump.
I realize others are around but at $3500 US not many collectors will have them. The price is right in line for rarity & I admire the seller for making this available. The 1/2 hp motor youtube video is part of the Edmonton Power Historical Foundation collection & is on display at the museum. With a request we do run ours during event days.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:17:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,867 Posts

That's definitely a neat one, though at that asking price I'd imagine he will be keeping it for a long time. If he moved the decimal point over, he'd likely find a buyer, though it seems that the market has softened. Probably because all of us collectors already have so many lol.

I collect antique motors, mostly repulsion start - induction motors, and most often Century brand, dating roughly turn of the century to the '20's. They function practically identically to that one, only automatically via a centrifugal mechanism. I have them in most sizes 1/6 hp through 10 hp. They all make that familiar magnetic sound. Very musical.

Interesting about the patents belonging to Emerson. Evidently Century must have used the design under license or some such similar arrangement...
Old 10-24-2018, 05:35:19 PM
Registered

In our neck of the woods(central Alberta), we thought we won the lottery when we offered the 1/2 hp unit. It wasn't mint, but with help of collectors it was made runnable. Mid eastern USA was a manufacturing mecca in the late 1800's, but with constant progress in tech there was little need to save 1st generation equipment. After a few wars, finding anything that didn't get to salvage is a wonder. I would rather see it being offered with a option to "make offer" than never see it available at all. I've found that once a item is displayed in the museum, we often "find" another. I heard that the difference between a "hoarder" & a collector is that a collector will show you there "stuff".
Old 10-24-2018, 08:05:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,867 Posts

No doubt that is a really neat machine. And yeah, sadly, the wartime propaganda- and the wars themselves- led to many treasures being lost. I have a friend that might buy it, I'll send him the link.

Hoarders and collectors.... I've always considered hoarders as delusional collectors. Collectors rationally do what they can to care for the well being of their treasures, hoarders do not.

I got to tour a hoarders ten acre stash once. Antique cars, buses, trucks, machines, equipment, on and on. He thought it was all gold. Yet he had left it all out to the elements for decades. Buses full of trash, trees growing through the bumpers. He wouldn't even talk price on individual items. He thought someone was going swoop in and give him $10,000,000 for the whole thing lol. Meanwhile he couldn't pay his taxes.

But the truth is, both hoarders and collectors do good. If not for them, stuff would have been scrapped long ago. By the time it becomes available again, hopefully it's importance has become more obvious.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 10:21:43 AM
Registered-I

Here is a couple pictures of mine in unrestored original working condition..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2567.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	321457

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2568.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	321458
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OttoEngineMan For This Post: