Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin V4 ID and Starter

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 381 times

Old 02-19-2019, 03:42:10 PM
Registered

Photo Wisconsin V4 ID and Starter

We picked this log splitter up last year at an estate sale knowing nothing about it. We got it home and checked the plugs, checked the oil, put some fuel in it, and jumped it off a pickup with a couple shots of starter fluid. The ram operated and we were able to split a couple logs with the remaining day light. I left the US the next week and have been gone for just over a year. My brother told me he tried to get it started this summer after I was gone and jumped it off the pickup but the starter locked up. I'm guessing he left the jumper cables on too long.

First can anyone identify this engine? The ID plate was missing when we got it.

Second, the starter is not operating. I pulled it off and just bumped it with a pair of jumper cables but nothing. Bendix gear moves freely with a finger. With this being a 6 volt system would I be correct saying he cooked the starter? Moving forward would it be better to get a new one or get this one rebuilt. Called the rebuild shop here in town and was told it would be $150 to rebuild. Last picture is of the tag on the starter.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2019, 04:42:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: Wisconsin V4 ID and Starter

---------- Post added at 01:42:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47:56 PM ----------

I'm having a hard time with the pictures because they we taken in HDR so here is a link to my album on Flickr.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAMXDpH
Old 02-19-2019, 05:08:09 PM
Registered-II

Hard to say for sure, but I would say ve-4 or vh-4d. NOT a v-465-d because they are ohv type. ve's were the most common.
The starter rebuild would be within reason at $150. That's what it would cost around here.
Finding another starter would be a challenge in most areas. thanks; sonny
Old 02-20-2019, 01:14:21 AM
Registered-III

Definitely not a VD4, VE4 or VF4, the manifolds are a give away. Your engine is a VH4D. The Prestolite MZ-4192 6volt starter you have replaced the MZ-4184. The 6volt MZ-4175 and MZ-4118 starters were also available starters for your engine. An optional 12 volt Prestolite MBG-4024 and later MBG-4109 starter were also available. I'd suggest that you stick with the 6 volt starters as your engine has a 6 volt generator on it. These starters are pretty simple. It may just need to be cleaned and oiled in order to work properly again. It usually takes a tremendous amount of cranking time, and a very stubborn worn out engine to cause starter failure. Those 6volt starters can take a real beating. Even with 12 volt batteries for power and extended crank times those starters fair well. I would bet that some rust has built up between the armature and windings, or the armature has rusted to the dry oilite bushings. Remove the dust shield on the rear of the starter and stick one half of a wooden clothes pin in between the bars on the rear of the armature. If a small amount of effort cannot make the armature turn it is time to take the starter apart and clean it up. With some fresh oil on the oilite bushings, and some rust cleaned away it should work as long as the brushes and commutator are in good shape. Prestolite parts are relatively cheap and available. Your MZ-4192 starter uses Prestolite MZ-2012AS brush set.

Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 06:07:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,822 Times in 2,547 Posts

Take the starter apart, clean up the guts etc. You have nothing to lose before you cash up for a new one.

*I'll assume it's a 6 volt system as many were until the 12 v changeover. The keep closed wording was on the earlier engines and later ones didn't have it.
(Look at the tag on the generator which should tell the voltage.)

Putting 12 volts into a 6V starter is ok. It'll actually pull maybe half the amps which is good. BUT..
Don't let it free rev on 12v as it could overspeed itself. On the engine and cranking it 12 v is fine. ** Don't put 12 volts on the generator if it has one. That'll let the magic smoke out.