Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Poop gas ?

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 16779 times

Old 09-19-2008, 10:13:22 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Poop gas ?

The gas is "wet" -- extremely high in humidity -- and quite corrosive. Choose your components with an eye toward corrosion resistance and consider a condensate trap for the water.
It is not at all uncommon for municipal sewage treatment plants to fire their digester heaters with the methane they produce; some run generators as well, depending on whether they can produce a sufficient volume.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2008, 09:26:27 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: poop gas ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "TheToolman" View Post

I am using the 55 gal plastic drums. EASY to hook together , Easy TO work with period.. I think the digestion tanks Must be in full sun so as to ferment the Dog "POOP".. then the storage barrels- MAYBE just maybe should be burried,That might make the GAS cool & have a greater VOLUME?
I am getting the ball rolling .. so ya'll throw all ideas my way PLEASE
Thanks
Dan
go and look at sewer treatment plant the one by us run gas engines to power the pumps .
Old 09-27-2008, 01:34:23 PM
Registered-III

I am still working on getting this thing going/ Cooler weather is here so I will be at it again.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:17:47 AM
Subscriber

I remember my dad telling about when he was going to diesel school in Chicago in the late '30's, that his class toured a building, I believe Sears head quarters, where the electricity for the building was generated by engines burning gas off the city sewer system and the waste heat from the engines provided the hot water and most of the heat in the winter. He has been gone for nearly ten years and his mind failed before that. Shame can't access that knowledge today. Worked on trucks, gas and diesel, in the thirties, Airflows, B25s, german BMW bikes abandoned by the Nazi's, oil feild engines, race engines, mechanic in Packard garage for a while, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Karrow For This Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,228 Times in 959 Posts

Some fuel comparisons:
Climax R165 (6cyl 61/8x7=1238cid):
NG fuel--177HP/1200
Gasoline--176/1200 (gas grade not specified)
LP gas--same output as gasoline
Sewer gas--99HP/1200
Ratings have all kinds of caveats; shown for comparison only. From Climax bulletin SA-612-D-3M-2-62-DJ (Feb 62 printing??).
Old 10-16-2012, 09:31:27 PM

Thanked 20,602 Times in 5,963 Posts

Dairy farms use manure digesters too to generate electricity, provide heat and other byproducts used for bedding.
It's kind of fun hearing a big CAT V-8 running a big generator on poop gas........

http://www.mda.state.mn.us/protectin.../digester.aspx
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,806 Posts

I designed, and then managed a team of engineers that designed sewage digesters, gasholders, heat exchangers, pumps, mixing systems, engines, boilers etc. to run off the stuff. Equipment I designed or managed design of is all over the world - including Asia, Europe and Arab countries. We designed the equipment and process for the Chicago Stickney plant, which was and still may be the largest in the world.

The big issue is natural gas has a btu content of around 1030 per cubic foot. Sewage gas has a btu content of 300 to 500 per cu ft depending on what is being processed, is loaded with Co2, and small amounts of H2S.
The waste varies considerably, depending on what industrial processes are feeding into the plant. Pharma and slaughterhouse waste are harder to process than household waste.

We sized for 3 times the flow on sewage gas - larger pipes, regulators, orfices, burners.

Combuston temps are much lower due to all the Co2. The gas is saturated, and drops liquid full of minerals in the system. This clogs piping, regulators, flame arrestors, pressure controls and orifices with a hard white/light brown scale.

Due to the lower combustion temperatures, and corrosiveness of the gas, stainless steel components are specified, and measures are taken to maintain stack temperatures above dew point.

Digestion temperature depends on the species of bacteria you seed with. When we started a new plant, they obtained seed sludge from a good running plant. Stickney used a unique species that performed best at 100 deg F.
Most of the other plants ran the digesters at 98 deg F. As little as a one degree temp change changes the species of bacteria that will flourish in that particular anaerobic environment. We strove to control digester temps to 1/4 of a degree. A 1/2 degree change in temp was considered a big issue, as you could see gas production take a dramatic drop. Organic solids destruction slow, and retention times greatly incresase - a very bad thing in a plant with limited digestion capacity and a constant influx of new material.

If I had to choose an alternative fuel, it would be wood gas - systems are much less complex and many times safer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 10:07:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,504 Times in 2,032 Posts

Vermont ski resort unveils gondola powered entirely by cow manure | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...175051844.html

Gary K