Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Do Hydrogen Generator Fuel Cells Work?

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 20104 times

Old 11-03-2012, 11:53:32 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,190 Posts
Default Re: Do Hydrogen Generator Fuel Cells Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim0477 View Post
It takes mechanical energy from the engine to spin the alternator which converts that energy into electrical energy to separate the hydrogen and oxygen (chemical energy). This hydrogen and oxygen is then fed into the engine in hopes of producing mechanical energy again. The way I see it is that if each energy conversion was 100% efficient, the best you could hope for is to break even. Of course 100% efficiency is impossible, so I don't see how this could improve anything. I say scam.

Tim
Tim may be exactly correct in his post above, but couldn't we say the same thing about turbo chargers? i.e. they won't add any benefit because the amount of energy to spin them is only equal to (not greater than) the energy you get out of them? Apparently not, because we all know they work.

Call me a dreamer, but all the "impossible" things we enjoy, like heavier than air flight have always been accomplished by those who refused to quit trying.
Perhaps there IS a better, cheaper way to break hydrogen free from water, but it won't be found by someone who thinks it's impossible.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 12:56:50 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,399 Times in 910 Posts
Default Re: Do Hydrogen Generator Fuel Cells Work?

A turbo takes wasted heat energy in the exhaust and compresses the intake oxygen to a denser state so more fuel can be injected and the engine can make more power. it's not a free lunch at all, and in fact if you used the turbo to drive a generator instead of a compressor, while it would be recovering some of the waste energy it would also be adding backpressure and costing you engine power too. Some aircraft engines used a 'power recovery turbine' in the exhaust stream that was geared to add additional crankshaft torque.