Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Avery Tractor Identification

this thread has 58 replies and has been viewed 13548 times

Old 12-01-2014, 12:14:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,051 Times in 971 Posts
Default Re: Avery Tractor Identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2030rumely View Post
One more question are the radiator brackets V shaped or straight like the ones in the picture that Jeff Wahl posted above?
Gary, I have yet to see a 20-35 Avery with v shaped radiator brackets in catalog illustrations/photos or photographs. Some examples are below, including a photo of a 20-35 Avery in Oberlin, KS. Yet all surviving 20-35 tractors that I've seen have v shaped brackets.

wahlengines.com
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2014, 04:50:31 PM
Registered-I

Jeff,
These are great pictures. I have been searching the web for some actual old time photos. Found a few and like you say they all have the straight radiator braces.
Could it be possible all the tractors left have had the radiators either rebuilt or replaced with the v braces?

I am slowly finding the other remaining 20-35's and have contacted some of them about parts and such. I think the closest complete one to me is in Uylsses, Ks. I want to measure and photograph for reference before I start restoration.
Thanks Jeff for the information.

Gary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2030rumely For This Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 04:22:34 AM
Registered

Their once was a old timer that I really looked up to and respected. A man that is very intelligent and can do about anything. We had some great times_over the past several years fishing together. I would always let him keep my limit of fish as well. I remember one time asking for one bag of fish but never got it. Maybe I was being to selfish? You think finding a rare tractor like this and wanting to be a part of it is being selfish on my part?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:40:39 PM
Registered

The story of old 459

It was a cold winter day on November 16th, 2014. I was deep in the sandhills of Nebraska when I came across old 459. The first thing that came to mind was that this looked like a old tractor because of the steel wheels. Being clueless about tractors I decided to contact my good friend Gary Bowen. At this point I began to take several pictures of the tractor and emailed them to Gary. A couple of days later Gary was wondering if the land owner would sell it. I told Gary I wasn't sure and I would check with him and get his number. At this point I continued my hunt in Nebraska and went to NW Kansas for the rest of the week. It looked like Gary had been doing some research on this tractor. Two days after I sent him the pictures it looked like they were posted on this smoke stack forum. Little did I know we had found possibly the 8th Avery tractor that is know to exist and is a very rare find. Two days after this Gary purchased this rare tractor for scrap metal price of $1500. After some further research we have found that this is the oldest Avery serial number found to date. Knowing that this is not your average run-of-the-mill tractor I told Gary I would like to be a part of this rare find. Little did I know that this wasn't going to happen. It's funny how some people want everything for themselves. After having some long nights thinking about this entire situation. I began to realize that I was not out anything but the rancher was the one that took a loss. You would think that finding something this special could be shared by all. Sometimes it really makes me wonder if people in this world have any kind of couth or conscience.

Regards Steve Lippitt
Old 12-09-2014, 06:52:03 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,917 Times in 3,057 Posts

Here we go again, more sour grapes. Is it any wonder why most are so closed mouth about their collections. If you wanted it for your self you should have simply bought it instead of passing on to another, after it's sold it's too late to change your mind.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 07:16:23 PM
Registered-I

Sour grapes aside -

I wonder if the straight braces on the radiator turned out to be ineffective against the normal vibration of the engine and motion of the tractor, especially given how intricate these radiators were?
The Following User Says Thank You to NDmeterman For This Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 07:20:55 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,917 Times in 3,057 Posts

Very likely under load the frame vibrated enough to cause a sideway twist in the radiator tubes enough to make it leak after a bit.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:43:19 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
Here we go again, more sour grapes. Is it any wonder why most are so closed mouth about their collections. If you wanted it for your self you should have simply bought it instead of passing on to another, after it's sold it's too late to change your mind.
When you have friends like this who needs enemies
Old 12-09-2014, 10:01:47 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigley View Post
When you have friends like this who needs enemies
Steve,
First of all welcome to the stak.
Sorry you have came to this site under these circumstances,saddly sometimes things don't go the way that you like .There is a alfull lot of good people on this site.Not many want to choose sides in the dispute,we are just happy that this tractor did at least get saved.it could have indeed been sold to a scrapper and been gone forever. you may not have got it but thanks to you it didn't get lost forever .Dan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan thomas For This Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 08:53:12 AM
Registered-III

I add an "Amen!" to that.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44:17 PM
Registered

i stumbled onto an avery 14-28 today and would love to hear any info on this tractor,the engine is missing but the rest of the tractor is complete.serial number 17542. motor number says a-19,i think,not sure on the a.can anyone tell me anything on these or if you could find an engine.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:01:02 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,040 Times in 284 Posts

Is there an update on the 20-35 Avery? Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Wahl For This Post:
Old 08-06-2015, 07:39:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,770 Times in 914 Posts

I guess i missed this one until today, reminded me of a friend of mine.
Just a few miles from my house there was a Farmall diesel M coming up on auction that i had known about for years, bad tires and not running but loose. Rusty paint.
I had to work the day of the sale, but a friend said he was going so i told him i'd bid 250 dollars for it. After i got off work, he came driving up and told me he had bought the M for himself. Thinking it had brought more than i was going to pay, i asked him what it brought. He said he paid 250 dollars.

I helped him haul it, he moved out of state so i got it running for him, then he sold it to somebody else, and guess what...........i hauled it for him to the new owner.
Later i was best man at his wedding, just last weekend he helped me thresh at the Goessel show. Plus, we have helped each other on and off since. Also, i have collected a few more tractors even more desireable to me than that M since, once in awhile with his help loading and such.

Life is short, antique tractors and other 'valuable' finds are plenty, friends are as valuable as gold, although they are as perfect as i am. All my friends have flaws just as i do, they are human, and they won't be on earth as long as that diesel M will be so i would rather forgive and forget what won't fill a thimble to matter after we are both turned to dust.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 04:01:55 PM
Registered-III

Anything new on the 20/35??? I believe I might have the remains of the oldest 20/35 Avery as it had a square radiator & appears to be made in 1911!!! Have enjoyed this thread. Thanks for putting it on: Doug
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D Reachard For This Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 05:33:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,629 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Reachard View Post
Anything new on the 20/35??? I believe I might have the remains of the oldest 20/35 Avery as it had a square radiator & appears to be made in 1911!!! Have enjoyed this thread. Thanks for putting it on: Doug
Could we see some photos Doug?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:15:24 PM
Registered-III

There is a factory picture of one in the encyclopedia of American Farm Tractors on page 31.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:49:46 PM
Subscriber

Hi Doug, take a look on the end of your intermediate shaft and see if you can find a stamped number. Seems that Avery stamped the tractor # there on the earlier built machines. #57, a 20-35, is at the Stuhr museum in Nebraska.

Matt
Old 02-11-2019, 12:03:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,629 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
There is a factory picture of one in the encyclopedia of American Farm Tractors on page 31.
Yes, I've seen that, but I was more interested in seeing some pictures of yours...
Old 02-11-2019, 09:32:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,241 Times in 547 Posts

Quote:
Doug,
There is a few more updates on this thread.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153629