Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Kerosene Annie Under Glass

this thread has 90 replies and has been viewed 14263 times

Old 02-07-2018, 04:20:49 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Kerosene Annie Under Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Armour View Post
What does the big red wheel behind the Gray belong to?
I'll make a guess as paddle from a sternwheeler?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2018, 05:34:05 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Armour View Post
What does the big red wheel behind the Gray belong to?
Looks like it's just a two-dimensional print on the wall. But, I agree that it looks like a steam boat paddle-wheel.

---------- Post added at 04:34:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30:45 PM ----------

I have never noticed this page on the JUMP website with their tractors listed. It may have been there right along and I didn't see it.

They have a nice little write-up on each unit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BMyrkle For This Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 08:46:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,737 Times in 853 Posts

Isn't there a Gray drum drive at Rollag?
Old 02-07-2018, 11:28:21 PM
Registered

As we have all concluded, this is not our favorite way to see these of these tractors. I am happy though, to see a small write up next to some of them. Maybe this will get a few more younger people interested in old tractors. We can only hope!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8-16 avery For This Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 09:06:24 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-16 avery View Post
As we have all concluded, this is not our favorite way to see these of these tractors. I am happy though, to see a small write up next to some of them. Maybe this will get a few more younger people interested in old tractors. We can only hope!
I don't know what their long-term plans are, but if they would get a good number of them running and have regular or semi-regular demonstrations, it honestly wouldn't be that much different than what most of us do with our old tractors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BMyrkle For This Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 10:28:51 AM
Registered

Default Re: Kerosine Annie under glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblinga View Post
"Things without all remedy, should be without regard. What's done is done."

This horse has been kicked to death, then dug up and kicked some more. It happened. Period. It doesn't excite me, but it's behind glass and hasn't been melted down.
For fear of 'kicking the dead horse' I'll weigh in on the topic 'Is it a good thing or not'?
In my opinion, I don't like to see any old piece of machinery 'mothballed under glass'. This is not what they were intended for. Old machinery should be experienced in it's natural habitat in a field running, plowing, belted to machinery, etc. I'm glad it hasn't been melted down and is at least being preserved. I just hope that someday someone will resurrect it from its glass coffin.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9 hp Alamo For This Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 12:07:25 PM
Registered-II

Like most of you I completely dislike what was done here to ALL the tractors. yes it would be nice to be able to drive up and see them at most any time I choose but if I did I'd likely end up puking on the "glass." If someone gets offended by my thoughts then OH WELL...Get Over IT!
Old 02-08-2018, 03:43:33 PM
Registered-III

Most of the ones in the parking garage are not behind glass and you can walk right up next to them. They are still ‘mostly’ protected from the elements. I doubt a number these will run again, who knows. The Olmsted for example, is behind metal posts so it wouldn’t be moving without the post being cut off or a big crane. They are on the 3rd-5th floors of a parking and garage.

I didn’t know that Jump had all those PDFs online - that’s pretty cool. If anyone ever wants a reference photo from one of the tractors, let me know and I can see if I can take some.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 04:26:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,770 Times in 914 Posts

I would rather see them running also, but.
It reminds me of a stone barn near here right along the highway, built in the 1800's. When I was young the owner at that time couldn't afford to keep it up and nobody volunteered to help. The roof got bad, and then the loft floor. A storm came along and knocked down the south peak, left the wall. The place was sold, and the new owner had a fire in the barn one day, all that was left were four walls and one peak. The north peak fell, then another wall. Eventually one day when I drove by that great old barn I remembered from my youth was completely GONE, not one stone left.
Mr. Simplot had a lot of money and was able to buy up some REALLY nice tractors. Throughout life I think we sometimes envy these folks, sometimes examine under a microscope what they do with their money, sometimes they do unusual things with their money that nobody else would think is right, like giving it all to a cat when they pass.
Oscar tried to do a good thing with his money, buying up tractors and building his dreamland, possibly saving some of them from scrap. I have heard some comments over the years about his color choices, despite that. Same thing with the museum in Minden Nebraska, lots of nice old iron there kept from being destroyed , evidently even with that they are the wrong color and should be in running condition, many say.
I guess i'm a strange duck, I realize I can't have as large a collection as some of these, I realize my limits. I would like to, but the funds just aren't there. I can complain when somebody overseas ships off old iron from the US, and I can complain when somebody buys a fleet up and seals them up in a shed far away from my travels or seals them up in a glass case . I can complain when a guy buys hundreds of them, sets them out in a pasture to rot and won't sell any of them until they pass, decades later. None of this changes a thing, may make me feel better voicing my thoughts on it, that's about it.
My love for this hobby makes me want all of them, as I get older I realize if I had more than I have now they would suffer disrepair and dust in a dark building somewhere, where many like minded folks wouldn't know where they were or couldn't come and look them over. I do what I can to keep them going, someday the collection may be spread to the four corners of the earth, I don't know. I'm sure not going to glass them up downtown, but that's just me. But if somebody did that very thing after I sold them, I guess that's entirely up to the man that signs the check.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 11:05:55 PM
Registered-II

I agree with you Russ Hamm for the most part. I don't know the details of Simplots estate but the only thing I blame on him was NOT having what he wanted done with his stuff in exacting detail. See my uncle did the same thing. He was the second owner of a car built in 1924 here in Freeport Illinois. He told everyone and their brother that when he passed the car was to go on permanent loan to the local museum. You see in its 90 years of life the car NEVER spent a night outside the Freeport city limits. In fact when he bought the car he did so to keep it from leaving the city. Whether he didn't get it into his will or his ba%(ard son broke the will the little bugger shows up at 10PM on night drug the car out wrapped it in shrink wrap, loaded it and left by 2AM thereby destroying all provenance the car had earned. If I understand Simplot right he wanted a museum for people to see the old iron. What he got was a bunch of "directors" doing with his collection what THEY seen fit...NOT J.R. that's the part that pees me off to no extent!
The Following User Says Thank You to ihredo4 For This Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 11:18:23 PM
Subscriber

I did not remember that some of these (how many?) are on upper floors. Obviously they won't do anything with those.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:51:41 AM
Registered-II

Russ, can't agree more. What people do with there stuff is often times baffling but it's there business. Even if I have troubles understanding why someone with such funds don't build shelter for there toys. Or set up in writing final wishes upon there passing. I too would love to own them all but funds too a non wealthy man have made that tough and impractical. In fact watching other collectors through my youth has kind of set me in a different approach and direction to have fewer nicer than many. My O.C.D wouldn't allow it I would go plum nuts. I have dreamed of owning a TC 40 but unless the lotto allows or I'm gifted one. It's just not in the cards so it makes me appreciate what God has allowed me to own. but it is fun to go toy browsing in these fields of treasures.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:27:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,617 Posts
Default Re: Kerosine Annie under glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 hp Alamo View Post
For fear of 'kicking the dead horse' I'll weigh in on the topic 'Is it a good thing or not'?
In my opinion, I don't like to see any old piece of machinery 'mothballed under glass'. This is not what they were intended for. Old machinery should be experienced in it's natural habitat in a field running, plowing, belted to machinery, etc. I'm glad it hasn't been melted down and is at least being preserved. I just hope that someday someone will resurrect it from its glass coffin.
But you did dig it up again, and they of course started beating the rotting carcass. . . again. . . thanks. The jealousy and greed continues to amaze.
Smokstak member #442
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 07:53:36 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMyrkle View Post
I did not remember that some of these (how many?) are on upper floors. Obviously they won't do anything with those.
All of the tractors that I took photos of were on the 3-5 floors. The person at the front desk took me to the 4th floor in the elevator. The first photos I took were of the Gray was right there near the elevator. Most of them are on the 3rd and 4th floor. I have a few photos from the 5th floor - not much up there but some.

There is a really cool slide going down from the top floor too. Not sure if I will be up for trying that particular method for reaching the ground floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DeereTop.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	303180   Click image for larger version

Name:	McDeerTop.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	303181   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThiemanTopFloor.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	303182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	303183  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 07:59:02 PM
Registered-III

Here is a photo from the parking garage looking over downtown Boise. You can see some of the tractors they have under glass (or soon to be under glass). Annie is right below where I took this photo but not shown in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180206_200830444_iOS.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	303184  
Old 02-14-2018, 08:12:27 PM
Registered-III

One other photo for now. I took this photo to show to the slide to my kids but it does show a part of the 3 floors the tractors are on
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floors.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	303185  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 03:17:25 PM
Registered-III

Here is a tractor that I may be a 'little' jealous of. Not the whole tractor though, just part of it I dont have room for any of these really large tractors but it sure would be nice to have an engine like the one powering this IHC.

In a previous discussion Wendell Kelch identified this tractor:

Quote:
"I think that the IHC is a 15HP type A gear drive with a home made and handy cooling tower on it. If my notes are correct the SN on the engine is CB 742E Which makes it a 1913. Wendell"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ihc.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	303232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ihc2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	303233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ihc3.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	303234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ihc4.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	303235  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 03:37:06 PM
Registered-III

Since I was in the IHC folder of photos I thought I would post a few others.

There was a nice looking Mogul there. Looks like you can park right next to it. Its sitting on a slightly raised area. Fairly easy to get access to just about any part of the tractor if you ever needed a reference photo. You can see from the sign in the photo from the rear that this is on the 3rd floor.

The smaller gray IHC 8-16 is cool - perfect size for my garage. Just need to find one for sale
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mogul8_16_1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	303240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mogul8_16_2.jpg
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	303241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mogul8_16_3.jpg
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	303242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IHC8_16.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	303243  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 03:10:54 PM
Registered-III

Was walking by today and saw they had one tractor that I was curious about uncovered.

It a cool little 3 wheel Case tractor. I didn’t remember to take a photo of the info so will have to let someone more knowledgeable fill in the details of model and year.

Also snapped a pic of a steam tractor called ‘The Minneapolis’
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A58FB566-E358-4531-A6F2-9D0D1DD4B52B.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	318517   Click image for larger version

Name:	A54CABC1-C8E7-4E4D-8D05-E369E5B24FD6.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	318518   Click image for larger version

Name:	387E2BA4-DB11-4229-8C6C-8FCC75873E46.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	318519   Click image for larger version

Name:	511588B9-F6CE-414C-A9FF-D45DEE683CAE.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	318520  
Old 09-11-2018, 03:22:22 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,917 Times in 3,057 Posts

I expect that some time in the not far distant future those displays will become unwanted by a new manager and be changed to some other theme. And like the Ford museum and many others these units will be removed and disposed of some way. Just watch and keep it in mind as it will happen.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post: