Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Kerosene Annie Under Glass

this thread has 90 replies and has been viewed 14278 times

Old 09-11-2018, 05:45:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,322 Times in 2,216 Posts
Default Re: Kerosene Annie Under Glass

All i can say is WHAT A WASTE
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2018, 06:04:34 PM
Registered-III

Since I was thinking about tractors again I thought I might as well post a few more photos of what I found in the parking ramp.

Here is a little crawler called a Bear Crawler. Not the best photos of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_201225807_iOS.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	318535   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_201123850_iOS.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	318536  
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 06:22:57 PM
Registered-III

Here are a couple of tractors that were sitting side by side. One was called a Lion tractor and the other the Big Bull 12-20. If I understand the signs correctly, they both were designed by D.M. Hartsough.

There is some interesting info about the Lion tractor company here

http://jumpboise.org/media/pdfs/Lion_Tractor.pdf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180206_201659366_iOS.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	318537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_201726156_iOS.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	318538   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_201735932_iOS.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	318539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_201804258_iOS.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	318540  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 06:55:35 PM
Subscriber

I was fortunate enough to see all these tractors plus more when they lived in the buildings at Oscars back in 97. Seems stupid to be in a parking garage. Be that as it may, I'm wondering what is stopping people from vandalizing or stealing bits off them? Mags oilers etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt L For This Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 09:59:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,229 Times in 398 Posts

Quote:
FWurth
Re: Kerosene Annie Under Glass
I expect that some time in the not far distant future those displays will become unwanted by a new manager and be changed to some other theme. And like the Ford museum and many others these units will be removed and disposed of some way. Just watch and keep it in mind as it will happen.
I agree, especially once the vandalism and theft begins to seriously detract from the displays as MattL eluded too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 10:02:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
All i can say is WHAT A WASTE
and here we go...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	awjeez!.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	318579  
Smokstak member #442
Old 09-12-2018, 11:58:42 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm View Post
and here we go...

So i take it you like seeing rare tractors kept in these kinds of conditions?
Old 09-12-2018, 02:21:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,619 Posts

I dislike a bunch of old whiners engaging in endless gnashing of teeth, rending of garments & wailing over something they will never change. It's mostly jealousy anyway, money talks, bullshit walks. At least the tractors didn't go to scrap...As I've said before in this thread, come up with the money to buy them if you don't like it, otherwise, knock off the bitching. Waste of breath & bandwidth.
End of my rant.

I do thank BigGoomba for posting pics, even if it does give you old farts a case of the vapors...
Smokstak member #442
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 02:45:43 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm View Post
I dislike a bunch of old whiners engaging in endless gnashing of teeth, rending of garments & wailing over something they will never change. It's mostly jealousy anyway, money talks, bullshit walks. At least the tractors didn't go to scrap...As I've said before in this thread, come up with the money to buy them if you don't like it, otherwise, knock off the bitching. Waste of breath & bandwidth.
End of my rant.

I do thank BigGoomba for posting pics, even if it does give you old farts a case of the vapors...

exactly
Old 09-12-2018, 03:31:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,786 Times in 920 Posts

Confession, I had heard about 'the vapors' before, but I finally looked it up.
Anyways...Ö.slow day here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 04:02:14 PM
Registered-III

Lucky, most of these tractors are fairly protected. Any of the the tractors in the glass cases should be safe from vandalism and theft for the most part. The tractors in the parking garage are less protected because you can get right next to them. There is a fairly noticeable security presence. All access points have video surveillance and security does walk the building on occasion. I donít think valdalism will be a huge deal here either but I do think there may be some opportunity for theft. Smaller easily removable stuff is at risk.

On a positive note - Boise is in a desert and is very dry. That should help avoid some deterioration due to moisture.

I canít pretend to guess where they will be in 10 years, I think at worst they will be dirty and probably filled with yellowjackets - maybe a bird or two.

I just wish I could have gotten the opportunity to see some of these run. There is some cool stuff here. But that boat has sailed. I will have to ask around on here and see if there are shows where I can see ones that other collectors have running.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 04:40:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,786 Times in 920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGoomba View Post
Lucky, most of these tractors are fairly protected. Any of the the tractors in the glass cases should be safe from vandalism and theft for the most part. The tractors in the parking garage are less protected because you can get right next to them. There is a fairly noticeable security presence. All access points have video surveillance and security does walk the building on occasion. I donít think valdalism will be a huge deal here either but I do think there may be some opportunity for theft. Smaller easily removable stuff is at risk.

On a positive note - Boise is in a desert and is very dry. That should help avoid some deterioration due to moisture.

I canít pretend to guess where they will be in 10 years, I think at worst they will be dirty and probably filled with yellowjackets - maybe a bird or two.

I just wish I could have gotten the opportunity to see some of these run. There is some cool stuff here. But that boat has sailed. I will have to ask around on here and see if there are shows where I can see ones that other collectors have running.
Well one thing about it, they will be around for future generations to tinker with should the time come that the jump organization disbands , etc. Better there than a hedgerow, shame that they cant be exercised, I can see both sides of the fence from here. I do wish they were closer to home, but there are many fantastic pieces throughout the world I will never see in person, unfortunately, and that's only my fault, nobody elses'.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 11:03:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,241 Times in 547 Posts

---------- Post added at 10:03:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02:17 AM ----------

Thanks for the pics tho. There is some neat stuff there for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 10:07:54 AM
Registered

I would like to reach out to Smokestak users to show what has happened to the rest of the Oscar Cooke collection that J.R. Simplot had purchased. Trying to find a thread to comment on I came across Big Goomba from Meridian Idaho. I cannot believe I did not meet him when he was here. My name is Rob B. I am the curator here at JUMP. I put off my restoration business to take care of the 110 tractors we have. The first thing I did when I got here was lube everything that turned over and assess what could run at some point in time. Then it had been almost four years of constant research trying to find out exactly what we have. I did have some time to get one running. Google search ď1919 Avery cultivatorĒ (I know itís older now) and you can hear it running. I have cages around them now since Goomba has been here and all the park tractors (11) are getting glass boxes to keep people off and the parts intact. I saw what happened to Travel Town within Griffith Park in Los Angeles and it broke my heart. Rest assured that I am doing everything within my means to protect and preserve all the national treasures here at JUMP. I have been doing this since my dad let me push the lawn mower to the neighborís yard and over the course of some 50 years I have had a grand time with machines and the good people who own and operate them. I came on to Smokestak three years ago and after being forewarned about the feelings that the people have about this collection I have been well reserved on commenting. I do feel disappointed and saddened by a lot of the comments about the collection but people being who they are I guess itís to be expected. There is a bright continuance to this story, this is what I have done with the rest of rest of Oscarís tractors.

Enjoy,
Rob jumpboise.org
Thanks Scott & Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	arena 007.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	321866   Click image for larger version

Name:	arena 011.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	321867  
Old 10-31-2018, 10:41:04 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,917 Times in 3,057 Posts

Bob, thanks for posting that, it lays to rest a lot of apprehension as to the intention of the project. I knew Oscar and had visited the collection before his passing. I do believe Mr. Simplot had good intentions in mind when he started this collection, glad to see that someone in charge is taking care of these units.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 11:02:51 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,156 Times in 7,372 Posts

Rob B.,
What arrangements need to be made for viewing the collection?
Also, I have former ownership information on the Eagle Model H tractor which I sent to another party at Jump. If you need this, please let me know.
Best wishes with your projects.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:35:53 PM
Registered-III

--- snip ----

Last edited by BigGoomba; 10-31-2018 at 04:15:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:06:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,955 Times in 659 Posts

rob, thanks for the update. happy to hear that and we were planning on a trip to glacial national park next summer so may have to jump over to jump.... a question that I would have and am serious....is it possible when there is a tractor feature or expo at a threshing show, to request one of the JUMP tractors to be shown, or displayed at one of the shows around? great banner to display and showcase JUMP, and help other shows bring in a crowd to see what the buzz is all about..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LukeSte For This Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 04:11:02 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGoomba View Post
I don’t think you need to make special arrangements. I would stop by the front desk and let them know that you would like to check out the collection.

I think all the tractors are now viewable too. Not all of them have glass yet so you are looking through fencing.

I don’t need the ownership information but if there is a story about the tractor, I would love to hear it. I wished I could know the history of a lot of these tractors. At one point or another they all played an important role in someone’s life - I love they story behind a tractor
I feel dumb, I guess I should pay better attention to the conversation - I got an email notification where G Willikers asked about special arrangements and didnt read up the thread to see Robs post. Sorry about that.

Rob, I had no idea that there were that many other tractors. I hope to be able to visit that collection too. I drive and walk by the Jump facility every day - and given that the traffic stinks lately - spend a fair amount of time creeping by slowly in my car looking at the stuff on the south side in the mornings.

Was happy when they opened up the court yard area so I could get in to see the few remaining tractors there.

If you ever see a fat bearded guy wearing shorts walking around (even when everyone else has switched to pants for winter) with a 'not completely there' look in his eyes - thats probably me I talk a walk almost every day so maybe I will see you around.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 05:35:54 PM
Registered

Thank You,yes I would absolutely like to have the information on the Eagle and as far as far as viewing the collection just let me know when your in town and I will make it happen.If you could just P.M. me I would be more than happy to give you contact information.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rob B. For This Post: