Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Help Crosby, ND Celebrate Its 50th Show

this thread has 231 replies and has been viewed 24828 times

Old 01-12-2019, 10:50:11 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,917 Times in 3,057 Posts
Default Re: Help Crosby Celebrate Its 50th Show

Isn't the other guy John T's brother? He does the parade announcing.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 11:14:33 AM
Registered-II

No that is not Art Tysse. Who?
Old 01-12-2019, 01:53:55 PM
One Millionth Post

This is why we need name tags at the show. I see people every year and still don't have the correct name with the correct person! I sure do miss all the ones that have since passed on, seems every year there are fewer familiar faces around.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 06:23:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,227 Times in 548 Posts

Y'all ever have a bean supper (or the North Dakota equivalent) on the Thursday night before the show starts? That might be a good time for name tags and greetings. It might also be called a "meet and greet", and make people a little more comfortable introducing themselves. A lot of folks don't like to go around introducing themselves and shaking hands without a reason, as it can make you appear to be a self-promoter, whether you are or not.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 08:42:02 PM
One Millionth Post

The trick would be to get someone to volunteer to tackle such an event. Most of the main people are already working overtime in getting things ready. That and the problem of the arrival times of folks getting in from all corners of the planet, not many can get there early enough to make it worth while. Maybe a informal event meeting at John's shop, where said tags could be registered and event expectations discussed?
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 09:14:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,089 Times in 504 Posts

That is no small task you guys are talking about! Everybody has their own agendas, travel plans etc!

On another note to go along with history of the show. Here are a couple old pictures. These are from 1961 .....Crosbyís first show that was hosted at the Crosby fairgrounds. Before the Historical Society as we know it. I will let John chime in with a little history from those early years.

Kelly T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98716116-4937-4FDE-9F99-9E504A1E99BB.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	326286   Click image for larger version

Name:	FA47A5CE-E2BE-498A-ABB4-94C31BF4AB54.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	326287  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:13:50 PM
Registered-III

You guys are really over-thinking this. It's just a couple of folks sitting around, and stirring, a big pot for half a day. Almost every show in this area has a bean feed. Dish the food out at around 6 or 7 p. m. in styrofoam cups, from someplace like the music tent and drag a few bleachers or a trailer or two over to sit on. Got to admit, it does shave a little off beer time though. Nevermind and let's get back to pictures, I'm really enjoying them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 08:21:30 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bays View Post
You guys are really over-thinking this. It's just a couple of folks sitting around, and stirring, a big pot for half a day. Almost every show in this area has a bean feed. Dish the food out at around 6 or 7 p. m. in styrofoam cups, from someplace like the music tent and drag a few bleachers or a trailer or two over to sit on. Got to admit, it does shave a little off beer time though. Nevermind and let's get back to pictures, I'm really enjoying them.
Kruger!!!! Sounds like a job for you! You are great at stirring the pot all day long!

Seriously though Ed might have a good idea there!

Kelly T
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelly Tytlandsvik For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 10:16:19 AM
Registered-II

Kelly - what WE stir is not edible! I think Ed has a great idea. Looking at the show through the eyes of someone new to the scene including many who have attended several years, I am sure it looks like organized chaos. I remember Art's( aka Big Duck) sage advice before I attended my first show: Don't expect to talk with John as he is too busy during the show. John's shop is the center of operations before the show and we can count on some John provided meals there in the days before the actual show. Name tags would aid me greatly as there are many people I have seen over the years and never attached a name to and then there are those I know but I suffer the brain farts of advancing years and their names escape me. I am quite sure we can find someone to take this on. As to shaving off beer time, who can't enjoy a brew while eating or BSing while making up a name tag. A great idea, get right on this Kelly!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to montana slim For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 11:06:52 AM
Registered-II

Thumbs up Re: Help Crosby Celebrate Its 50th Show

I ran across a picture of Bud Calloway from Saskatoon. He has been participating in the show since 1984. When I first met him he was driving one of the Big Four tractors and some of the old cars. A first class mechanic and machinist. I would also add a prince of a fella but it might go to his head! I have also included a picture of George Charbaneau(sp), Ross and my backside. I might add a note that here is proof that I did work in the past!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Budcroppedsized06budthehairless.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	326305   Click image for larger version

Name:	tractorshow2009 291george.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	326306  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to montana slim For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 11:33:54 AM
Registered-III

You guys need to remember, we're twelve hundred miles away. However, if someone local (Kelly) will help us get the okay from whoever needs to okay this endeavor, and the group can come up with a couple of pots and a shade tree.....Brenda and I are in. (I know there's plenty of firewood and 1x4 paddles are at the lumber yard) At actual serving time it'll take a couple more people. We still have some logistics to work out, like the fact that we don't have a room reserved yet, but that's easy. Anybody else in this group in?

What's a Kruger? We must not have them here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 01:19:31 PM
One Millionth Post

Ed, Mr.Krugger (AKA) Montana Slim. Also we are 1300Mi out and have to work for a living yet, so getting there very late on Thurs at best. Slim usually sets up his RV at the back of John's shop. There is a mini kitchen at the shop. Shade trees are a bit hard to find in the whole state mostly! Work it out from there? Every one seems to congregate there when they arrive, then head out to the motel or show grounds if not too late at night. They tend to kinda trickle in for the most part so not exactly a rush hour. And OH , yes Krugger AKA Slim did use to actually have to work for his bean soup once upon a time, last time they let him direct the parade! But it's been a while! Mostly he provides character and encouragement for the event. And be sure to bring along some repellant to keep away the state birds ( mosquitos), they some times can get a bit hungry.

---------- Post added at 11:19:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57:41 AM ----------

Might not be a good idea to have any extra feed at the grounds on show days so as to not compete with the society's lunch room? Just thinking out loud.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 02:17:14 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
Might not be a good idea to have any extra feed at the grounds on show days so as to not compete with the society's lunch room? Just thinking out loud.
Yeah, that's why it'd probably be a good idea to get a local to get the okay and work out the logistics. There are a few trees that aren't used up on Thursday on the west side near the red barn. I would also be a bit of an undertaking to cook around thirty pounds of beans at Mr. T's shop's kitchen. It's been my experience that there's plenty of folks in the shop without adding non-mechanical personnel. We've yet to see if this is even a good idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 02:44:54 PM
Subscriber

G'day Kelly, in post 26 first photo the tractor second from the right looks mighty like an AVANCE I have not seen any in the USA before, I know there was one down south somewhere and maybe a couple made it into Canada from Sweeden, Regards Norm hope to make it to your show this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Norm Johnston For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 07:33:16 PM
Subscriber

It would be no problem to have a bean feed Thursday nite before the show, get somebody to head it up and we will furnish what ever you need to make the meal. Could be held in Ed Bakke's building. Seeing as this is our 50th year we can use all the help we can get so if you come a day early that would be good. Maybe could enlist Montana Slim's help but keep in mind he can screw up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and really he don't need any jelly. John Tysse Jr.

---------- Post added at 04:57:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11:13 PM ----------

In 1961 we ha a group of fellows interested in old equipment and formed a club that we called Divide County Pioneer Society. Lloyd Gunderson was president, We decide to have a display at the annual county fair. The two pictures that Kelly posted in #26 are the tractors on display. I will list them along with their owners. In the first picture 15-30 Rumely, John Tysse Jr.
25 HP Minneapolis Steamer, Christ Anderson. 30-60 Rumely, Christ Anderson. 14-28 Allwork, John Tysse Jr. 16-30 Rumely, Olaf Anderson. 8-16 Mogul, Earl Korsmo. Avance Semi Diesel, Bill Krumwiede. Fordson, Nils Skabo.
Next picture 25-40 Rumely, Herman Johnson. 25-40 Rumely, Emil Gordon.
20-35 Rumely, Lloyd Gunderson. 20-30 Rumely, Lloyd Gunderson. 14-28
Avery, Emil Gordon. Nilson Farm Machine, John Tysse Jr. 18-36 Hart Parr,
Emil Gordon. 18-32Case, Ed Tittrud. We had a couple of good shows but in 1965 things went bad so we lost interest in shows but not in tractors John Tysse Jr.

---------- Post added at 05:33:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57:59 PM ----------

Norm Johnston is right on as that tractor is a two cyl Avance tractor built around 1928 in Sweden by the Bolinder Munktel {not sure of spelling}. It is a semi diesel. I found this tractor south of Mandan ND with the help of Nancy Hendrickson in 1960. I turned it over to Bill Krumwiede and he bought it and brought it to Crosby where Lloyd Gunderson got it running. It was quite a challenge but Lloyd was a good mecanic and figured it out, was air start with no belt pulley but had a power take off so that's how he started it the first time. Years later Bill sold it and am not sure but think to Donald Sell. Don't know where it is at now. Hal Higgins got Lloyd some information on this tractor when he was working on it. John Tysse Jr
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to John Tysse Jr. For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 08:46:22 PM
Registered-III

Well, we just tried to get a room and there's nothing available at either motel, so I guess you guys will have to carry on without us. Too bad, it would have been fun. Never have had a problem booking a room since the Guardian opened, but it looks like the fiftieth is going to have super good attendance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 08:53:32 PM
Registered-I

Well, I definitely have i in mind to finally make it up to Crosby this summer...
I just need to figure out my summer's travel plans first.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:45:38 PM
One Millionth Post

ED., there is also a motel/ hotel at Noonan, about 18 miles east of Crosby. The Crash Pad Motel. 701-925-3333 Was built up for the oil boom a few years back. Things were a bit slow since the oil fields cut back. We stayed there a few years back. They were still going last year, hopefully they still are. I'd give them a try. Also leave your request with the others, many times there may be a cancellation that you might get called in, has worked for us in the past. If nothing else double up with some one with a room, or go the campout route! they built a nice new large bathroom/ shower last year and it is nice. Always looking forward to visiting with you folks. We made reservations last year, hope their still good!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 11:03:39 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bays View Post
You guys need to remember, we're twelve hundred miles away. However, if someone local (Kelly) will help us get the okay from whoever needs to okay this endeavor, and the group can come up with a couple of pots and a shade tree.....Brenda and I are in. (I know there's plenty of firewood and 1x4 paddles are at the lumber yard) At actual serving time it'll take a couple more people. We still have some logistics to work out, like the fact that we don't have a room reserved yet, but that's easy. Anybody else in this group in?

What's a Kruger? We must not have them here.
If you donít have any Krugers thatís a good way to keep it! They cause a lot of trouble!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelly Tytlandsvik For This Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 06:03:20 AM
Registered-II

Thumbs up Re: Help Crosby Celebrate Its 50th Show

These pictures of Bert Koteles were sent to me by Don Voss by way of Luke Steinberger. Thanks to both of them. They are digital pics of old photographs. My email is: efkruege@midrivers.com if others want to send pictures. The group pictures should also bring back memories of others.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0860lukefor5crrsbert.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	326356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0862lukefor3crrs.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	326357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864lukefor2rs.jpg
Views:	162