Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Playing in the Snow

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 962 times

Old 02-23-2019, 06:31:00 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 2,483 Times in 426 Posts
Photo Playing in the Snow

Today I met up with Herb and Lew at the Maine Forest & Logging Museum.
Last time we ran the 10 ton gasoline Lombard it wasn't a happy beast. So today we installed
new points, condenser, distributor cap and plugs as well as a wonderful set of custom plug wires
from Brillman Company. Thanks John! We also topped off the coolant and changed the fan belts.

Its a wonder what a little TLC will do! She now runs butter smooth.

With the Lombard running fantastic we turned our attention to installing the bunks on the circa
1926 Lombard logging sleds that were built for the museum by the Farm Mechanics and
Building Trades students at the Presque Isle Regional Technical Center. With the aid of Lew's
Cletrac. (Lew is always looking for opportunities to point out its usefulness) we were able to have
the heavy oak bunks installed in no time.

We still need to slop some sealant on the bunks but we just couldn't wait to take the whole rig for a spin.
Since the Lombard is great at pulling the sleds and not that great at pushing them backwards Lew
found yet another use for his beloved Cletrac. He also smugly reminded us that the Cletrac can turn
180 degrees around in the shed where as the Lombard cannot.

At this point Herb desperately wanted to drag out the old two man chainsaw and whack down a mighty
pine tree so we could load some logs on the sleds. However, as fun as that sounded sanity
prevailed and thus our old growth pines will live another day.

Anyway, it was a great day playing in the snow with some fantastic old iron
and good friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOlV...ature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1422.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	329264   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1431.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	329265   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1404.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	329266  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2019, 11:14:53 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Playing in the Snow

That sled came out amazing Terry! I am in agreement with Herb on this one. You need to get some real big logs on that sled. Perhaps Lew's Cletrac can help with the loading......I love all of the Lombard posts, I hope to get up to Maine one day and see it for real.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 02:27:55 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 2,483 Times in 426 Posts
Default Re: Playing in the Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
That sled came out amazing Terry! I am in agreement with Herb on this one. You need to get some real big logs on that sled. Perhaps Lew's Cletrac can help with the loading......I love all of the Lombard posts, I hope to get up to Maine one day and see it for real.

Chris
Hello Chris,

I am all about hauling a load with the beast! All we are missing is the chains. We found one set of corner chains complete with the grab hook and Fid hook. Now we just need to find or fabricate three more sets plus one or two waist chains. Then we will be good to go! We can use the Cletrac for cross-hauling which will give Lew another reason to love his Cletrac.

Best regards,

Terry
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post: