Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Bio Fuel My Butt

this thread has 47 replies and has been viewed 15890 times

Old 02-25-2011, 09:46:30 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts
Default Re: Bio Fuel My Butt

Hmmm.........

Management credo at a successful technology company: "There comes a time in the history of every project that it becomes necessary to shoot the Engineers and start production."

Hmmmmmm..........

Whoever said that Guvmint can do ANYTHING right? I think that eliminating all subsidies (bio-fuels, ag, science, baby production, etc.) would vastly improve our chances that The United States of America will survive for another hundred years.

Hmmmmmmm............

While we're at it, let's sell off Amtrack (if a buyer can be found) and the Postal Service (UPS or FedEx may be interested, at the right price).

Hmmmmmm............

Oh yeah - let's add a law (with heavy penalties!) that says that all politicians and bureaucrats have to adhere to the same laws, rules, regulations and other Guvmint bull(dust) we have to.

Geez, I feel better now!

I'll put my old soapbox back into the closet for a while.

Take care - Elden
-Just another old curmudgeon-
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

Last edited by Elden DuRand; 02-25-2011 at 09:47:42 AM. Reason: Additional rant!
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2011, 03:39:06 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
Don't blame biofuel for that. Food prices have been steadily increasing for decades while corn and grain prices have stayed pretty level since the 1950's. And exactly how does biofuel affect metal and land prices?

I thought you just said that property values were at an all time low? It is the developers and cities who finance them that are elevating the prices of undeveloped land. Most of the farm ground sold in this area is purchased by developers, it is only farmed (by tennants) until the developer gets a city to finance a strip mall or sub-division.

I would read what you wrote again before you make the claim that farmers are making record profits. Haven't you considered that we also have to pay the elevated fuel, seed and fertilizer costs to grow a crop? These costs have increased dramatically as well and by the time they are subtracted from the end of year total, the farmer makes about the same money as he ever has.

Don't blame the farmer for you cost at the pump, he has been subsidising your grocery bill for a long time!

Frank Wurth
Proud Farmer
I agree 100% everyone thinks that Farmers somehow get free fuel, chemical, seed ect... Just ain't so.

I come from a long line of farmers, our operation is a TRUE family farm and we aren't driving new pickups, cars and equpitment. True corn prices are at a level that has not been seen since the mid 70's but most of that is due to overseas events and influences. The Russian wheat crop market has a direct effect on our wheat prices for example.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:06:18 PM
trowel

FIRE ONE!!....ok how about baled hay? round or square? $5.50 a bale! for 30x24 inch square bales!! when i pulled out of raising beef in 2001 we was paying $3.75 per bale!, at the time that was crazy, BUT factor in fuel, tools, manpower, and time and there u have it. this past summer i helped 2 farmers put up a grand total of 9,000 square bales, not even close to the 15,000, including my own that we was use to. peter's john deere manure spreader broke this spring, it was made in 1934, 1 year shy of parts avalibility, so he has high priced bags of ferdilizer rotting in his barn, try spreading 50 40lb bags of ferdilizer off the back of a truck! lets not talk about shoveling manure!!! grass is king on that kind of farm.
beef doe not grow on styrofoarm
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 03-06-2011, 02:22:30 AM
Registered-II

One thing we will all have to come to grips with is there will never be vehicles in the US that get better than 40 to 45MPG. Reason being all the taxes that would be lost on each gallon of fuel. Our governments are never going to allow this to happen. I read an article a couple years ago about Ford introducing a car over seas that gets 65 MPG. It's a diesel powered, 5 passenger sedan. Higher mileage can be done, just not in the USA.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:14:58 AM
Registered-I

I have to say, bio-fuel is the answer for me. I say this because I make bio-diesel @ home w/ used cookin oil. I have been since 2006, and have saved hundreds over the years. We have to look out for ouselves guys, the answers we need aren't gonna come from Washington
Old 06-21-2012, 02:10:58 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,542 Times in 1,633 Posts

Are you from Green Hill? If so I went to the energy conference in Crawfordsville.

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 07-03-2012, 09:23:31 PM
Registered-III

Have a relative that has polished cooking oils thru processing to usable biodiesel for quite a few years now. What anyone that does this needs to admit is the source for raw used cooking oil ain't what it used to be and the more proponents spread their gospel on this topic, I suspect the greater they contribute to these woes with which I speak.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:03:09 PM
Registered

You said it Dan-Kevin

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Mike Cannon its a labor of love,dont know what we will eat someday,subdivisions and tarmac,I suppose-Kevin