Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Hart-Parr 28-50 remove engine?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2894 times

Old 01-02-2010, 12:35:07 AM
Registered-II

Default Hart-Parr 28-50 remove engine?

My dad is working on a 28-50 hart-parr. it's in tough shape but it will go. anyway he's trying to figure out the best way to remove the clutch and flywheel. if anyone else out there has done this he is wondering if it's easier to remove the transmission from the engine or the engine from the transmission. or take both our together???? he was showing me that the engine mout bolts are "leaded" in place. it also appears that the trans input shaft is froze to the pilot bearing in the flywheel. also looks like you have to have the flywheel off to get to the mount bolts on that side. too bad I&T never made a book for this rig....
also does any-one reproduce the eccentrics for the madison-kipp oilers???? out of ten only one is broke... i don't think thats too bad..
thanks...
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamB For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 02:22:50 AM

Thanked 20,630 Times in 5,975 Posts
Default Re: Hart-Parr 28-50 remove engine??

There is good news Adam! You do not have to remove the engine OR the transmission.
There used to be a reprint book (which I have) that described the procedure but I don't know if it's available any longer.
Anyway.......take off the shifter cover at the pulley end of the transmission. Remove (loosen) the cover from the pulley shaft side.
On the other side there is a cover as well (I THINK) and a sleeve over the transmission shaft which partially runs INTO the transmisson and provides a surface for a felt seal. In that sleeve you will find a groove and there are two holes opposite each other. In one of the holes you SHOULD find the ends of a locking wire tucked in. UNtuck the wire and remove it. In the other hole is a set screw which secures that collar to the shaft. Turn out the screw which will allow the collar to slide on the shaft. Now to the clutch. Take off the clutch collar, unbolt the clutch plate and when everything is free you can knock the entire shaft away from the engine as far as you want. The pilot bearing may or may not come along with the shaft. The flywheel part is self explanatory.
I'm doing this from memory but I'm pretty sure that is all correct information.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 01-02-2010, 08:05:21 PM
Registered-III

May we have pre- restoration photos please.... We need something to talk about....
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52:27 PM
Registered-II

well, good news, using craigs advice he got it out today. now comes the fun part. "clean-up" i did'nt help much, too involved with the Fordson crawler next door. that might be ok, he's got a mess or parts to go thru....

so when asked i will provide. not much to look at now but it's a start.
thats quite a crankshaft. my 5 year old son Justin is the same height!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hp 3.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	70597   Click image for larger version

Name:	hp 1.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	70598   Click image for larger version

Name:	hp 2.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	70599  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AdamB For This Post:
Old 01-03-2010, 11:02:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,605 Times in 1,142 Posts

That HP looks to be in pretty fine shape. Keep us posted on progress.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:23:36 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
My dad is working on a 28-50 hart-parr. it's in tough shape but it will go. anyway he's trying to figure out the best way to remove the clutch and flywheel. if anyone else out there has done this he is wondering if it's easier to remove the transmission from the engine or the engine from the transmission. or take both our together???? he was showing me that the engine mout bolts are "leaded" in place. it also appears that the trans input shaft is froze to the pilot bearing in the flywheel. also looks like you have to have the flywheel off to get to the mount bolts on that side. too bad I&T never made a book for this rig....
also does any-one reproduce the eccentrics for the madison-kipp oilers???? out of ten only one is broke... i don't think thats too bad..
thanks...
Morning I think we have just imported this tractor or similar into the uk have tried to pm you but it says your inbox is full
Regards chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Dawes bros For This Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 11:25:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,225 Times in 396 Posts

Nice tractor Adam. I’ve always loved the heavy cast rears on the early 28-50’s. It definitely gives the tractor a real “tough” look.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post: