Old Engine Memorials

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Old Engine Memorials
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old Engine Memorials We each know a collector who has passed that meant something to us and this is a place for our final salute, a place of memories for all to share.

Old Engine Memorials

Dan Grinstead has departed

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 617 times

Old 11-14-2018, 09:42:34 PM
Subscriber

Default Dan Grinstead has departed

Dan Grinstead passed away September 6, 2018 from natural causes. Over the last year or more, he began to divest himself of his remaining inventory of slow turner diesel engine parts, many which he had stored for decades. He dispersed most of his special tools towards folks who had some logical connection to them thus preserving them for possible future use.

Some of you became acquainted with Dan by learning he had many old engine parts that your project needed. Others had old fuel injectors reworked by him and where else could you find that? Now what will we do??

Dan owned the retired towboat, "Lorna Foss" for many years which he and his life partner, Carol Campbell, cruised all over Pacific Northwest coastal waters in both the U.S. and Canadian waters, particularly to their rustic floathouse in British Columbia. Made of wood and over 100 years old, the "Lorna" originally was steamed powered but had a worn out old diesel when Dan bought 'er so he re-powered with a vintage Atlas engine. That was some heavy lifting, eh?

While he made his living repairing vintage heavy duty diesel engines, he was a multi-faceted fellow. His parent's house was full of music and his mother was likely his first piano teacher- he played for the rest of his days. His music studies became a degree from the University of Washington. While he appreciated modern music, he mostly favored pre-rock music and his "machine shop" had numerous pianos from which he might play a Sousa March, obscure ragtime, and if you were lucky, an Alan Sherman spoof or three. He also repaired and restored player pianos, push-up piano players, and a dolceola or two.

There really is nothing quite like taking five during an injector job and listening to Dan bang out "The Stars and Stripes Forever" just because.

He wrote his own obituary a few days before he died and he had lived a very good life. Rest in peace, Daniel !!

Check it out and visit the guest book!

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sea...&pid=190212292
Old 11-14-2018, 10:14:04 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Dan Grinstead has departed

Quite the life! RIP Dan
Old 11-15-2018, 06:32:01 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,897 Times in 2,967 Posts

He sounds like a heck of a guy, the kind of person I would like to have known.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:31:25 AM
Subscriber

I admire this write up, and Dan sure did have a exciting life, to me he sounds like he would have been hard to keep up too.
I love that he had this special boat that he and his life partner enjoyed together.
My hat is off to him....
Old 11-15-2018, 12:31:46 PM
Subscriber

R.I.P. Irreplaceable I fear.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:30:03 PM
Registered-II

He helped us out immeasurably during our restoration of our Atlas diesel engine for the Zagray Farm Museum by rebuilding fuel components and donating 6 cylinder-piston sets to replace our rusted solid originals! We will miss him and his help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2106.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	322954  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31:36 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt. View Post
R.I.P. Irreplaceable I fear.

His generous donation of 6 loaded engine cylinders, along with his rebuilding expertise on all aspects of the engine build as well as fuel systems made possible the rebuilding of our Atlas 4HS464.

He would call me about once a month or so to inquire as to our progress on the engine, as well as prod us forward. He will be missed in the engine community. RIP