Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Oh my good god almighty!

this thread has 127 replies and has been viewed 15098 times

Old 01-24-2009, 12:14:29 AM
Dan Dyman

Default Oh my good god almighty!

Saints protect us and Heaven preserve us, Do My eyes deceive me?, Is this engine being converted to Full showmans specification, resplendent perhaps before long, with a washing machine mounted on the front,, say it aint so

pictures from http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org

if the copyright owner has a problem with these photos being shown here please let me know and I will remove them/have them removed TY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1018-1.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	47231   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1020-1.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	47232  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2009, 12:43:05 AM

Thanked 12,819 Times in 3,884 Posts
Default Re: Oh my good god almighty !!

Dan,

Do you have any "washing machines" on the fronts of your engines--either here or across the pond?

Looks like a waste of a nicely styled engine, but it will be interesting to see a Keck built into a "showman..."

Beth
Old 01-24-2009, 12:58:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,350 Times in 2,356 Posts

Dan,
We've cussed and discussed this travesty in other threads, particularly the Keck-Gonnerman Q & A thread. This is an engine that is only one of two left that is like this....which makes it even more sickening to most of us here that believe these grand old machines need to be preserved. It ain't rotting away in a field, but I don't call this treatment "preserved".

I, like you, wonder where they're planning on mounting the washing machine to wash all the knickers that will be in a twist after the steam community in the states sees it?
Mike
Old 01-24-2009, 04:22:02 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,090 Times in 477 Posts

I know what I'd like to say, but the words that sum up this situation would make Satan himself blush.

He knows what he has, he knows how rare it is (IT'S THE LAST DAMNED ONE!), he knows that a lot of what he is doing is completely wrong, and that doesn't bother him in the least! I'm going to go vomit now.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:02:03 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,624 Times in 854 Posts

I wonder where the one is that sold in Tower Hill Illinois. If I remember correctly it went down to Alabama. Does anyone know more about it?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:20:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,792 Times in 574 Posts
Angry Re: Oh my good god almighty !!

no, but we are looking hard. Any info would be welcomed on the tower hill engine. As for what they are doing to this engine....
Old 01-24-2009, 09:27:09 AM
Registered-III

In this country the owner has the right to paint his engine any color he wants, or not paint it at all, and make any changes he wished to his property, including cutting it up and selling it for scrap Any you have the right to vomit on you own shoes if you wish. The opinion of the owner of this engine is just as important as is yours. Although you admitedly have a right to your opinion, you are being most unkind to that of another. You obviously would prefer your opinion to be more important than is that of the owner of this engine. Why so? When completed, I would welcome him to show/exhibit it at any show that I am involved with--or even before it is completed for that matter, as a project in progress. Try and be nice. and to be more tolererent of your fellow man even if your opinions may differ.
chuck
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Sindelar For This Post:
Old 01-24-2009, 10:02:18 AM

Thanked 4,589 Times in 1,043 Posts

I believe that Keck is in the UK. They also have a Case 65 which remains in excellent unmolested original condition. I think they may be fixing to use the Keck as a road locomotive. If you think it is such heresy to restore incorrectly, perhaps you should find the gent, make him an offer and have it put on a ship to bring back here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gil Garceau For This Post:
Old 01-24-2009, 10:07:45 AM
Subscriber

true, since they own it, they could paint it pink, scrap it, or sell little pieces on internet auction sites and it would be their right. But since this is a very rare engine, it is quite disappointing that they have chosen not to restore it to anything like its original form but rather to bastardize it completely. It was a shame that it was sold on less than forthright conditions, it was a shame that it was sold overseas, and it is a tragedy that the new owners have chosen not to respect the heritage of the engine. Kind of makes you wonder why would one buy a rare piece of equipment if that was their intentions?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:09:45 AM
Subscriber

"If you think it is such heresy to restore incorrectly, perhaps you should find the gent, make him an offer and have it put on a ship to bring back here."

If I had the resources to do such a thing, you may rest assured that it would occur and as quickly as possible.