Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Gaar-Scott experts???

this thread has 64 replies and has been viewed 8901 times

Old 08-03-2006, 01:24:39 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Gaar-Scott experts???

Yup Gary!!!
That was some water hole!
I took my dad down as neither one of us had ever been and thought it would be good milestone show to go to. I am so glad we went as it turned out dad was in the early stages of cancer and did not get to travel much after that.
You have written about sitting and talking to various people that weekend.
I have memories like that myself. One in particular was an old man in his 80s that my dad knew that sat and talked to me for an hour or more about Harley's and gas engines and how worked he for Waterloo until he retired. It was nice that he took the time to talk to a kid in his 30s!
I wish I had had a tape recorder.

Ross
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2006, 01:27:55 PM
Sponsor

Gary
If I remember correctly, I think John was one of the few brave enough to drive around Fri & Sat!
Maybe because he didn't have to worry about getting the paint dirty on his wheels.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:05:11 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,102 Times in 2,102 Posts

Ross,
I hear you about milestones. I wanted to attend the 50th NTA because Marvin Brodbeck wanted an "original owner" family member and I was the last one living that was into steam... Plus I wanted to go... Bad enough that I sold a '76 Winchester 45-60 rifle for the funds to make it happen. One of my bright spots was finding Harry Woodmansee and getting to visit with him again, for my last time. Bernie left him in the pickup and Harry needed to relieve himself. I helped him out and back and visited for at least a half hour. I got very wet standing and talking to him, but I was already wet. I first met him atop the Peerless at Belgrade in the late 1980s.

I know most all of the engines fired up every day in anticipation of clearing skies, but not many moved. John didn't have to worry about getting this "working clothes" Gaar Scott dirty. John did sell it, but I don't know to whom? It was able to plow on Sunday, before we flew back to Montana. Were you there on Sunday when the piston rod broke and went out through the front head? I am posting a photo I took, about a minute before that happened.
Gary

Old 08-03-2006, 03:53:30 PM
Registered-III

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0

Ross:

That would be the one. I believe when it was at our show, Glen and Barbara Dawson owned it. This would have had to have been not long before the show left Cookstown for Beeton, so perhaps my memory in turns of when this was is off a little. I will look up the anniversary book and see if I can find out what year the photo was taken that shows the front of the G-S in the engine line up. Was there not some story about it being found where it had been dropped off along the R-R right of way?

Not sure what will happen at Cookstown this weekend. We have not sent anything, and now I have a funeral that I should attend on Monday for a fellow employee who was killed tragically on Tuseday . Will see you there sometime Saturday or Sunday. I have a 13 hour day to put in tomorrow so I don't think I will make it tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Robert
Old 08-03-2006, 04:04:17 PM
Registered-III

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0

Sorry Ross, I meant Ken and Barbara Dawson, not Glen. I was thinking of Glen Kirton at the same time, and as they are friends .

By the by, it is raining here,...........again. Apparently there are some 150,000 homes in the Muskoka area with power/phone from that storm that went through last night. Could be a wet weekend.

Robert
Old 08-03-2006, 06:06:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,102 Times in 2,102 Posts

Robert,
I just saw the front page of the local newspaper with a picture of a fire in Glacier National Park that caused evacuations. I'd sure take some of that rain here. On my lawn too!
Gary
Old 08-03-2006, 07:53:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,289 Times in 732 Posts

heres a good one for you guys to drool over Austins 25 heavy boiler double back in the sawmill again. bob anderson changed the boiler on this one about 10 years ago but it never ran the mill much after that. now it fills in sometimes when his single isn't there or running. i know it sawed there satruday for sure and im not sure about the other 3 days. it was probably glad to be back on the mill again.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-03-2006, 08:35:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,818 Times in 6,702 Posts

Guten Abend - Mein Neffe reports that the Ontario Dry Steam And Hot Air Gang visited Austin show and the double Gaar was indeed on the saw all day Saturday and it sounded great. Mr. Anderson's beautiful 25 single was on there all day Friday. Included is a snap of the 25 double that went to Ontario in the spring. It was listed for sale on the Smokstak Classifieds out of Illinois(?). It is at the Ontario Steam Heritage Museum near Guelph, a private outfit and the proprietor Mr. Fischer is seen standing in front of the engine. It is expected to be at the Milton Steam Era show on the Labour Day weekend.
Also, did someone not say on Smokstak some time last year that they had builders/sales records for Gaar-Scott? Der Neffe would like this kind of info for the 25 just arrived?
G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dblgaarweb.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	10496  
Old 08-03-2006, 09:38:14 PM
Registered-III

G Willikers,
Those are some GREAT photos of the 25 G-S Rearmount. Thank you for sharing them with us. Here is a photo of Gil Roberts 25 HP Gaar-Scott Rearmount taken at Somerset,VA this spring. This 25 also originally came from Saskatchewan. There is an article in March/April 1977(i think) IMA about this 25 Gaar-Scott. Can you give any more details/history on that 25. I would bet that it has a GOOD Boiler!!! Thanks Again!!!!!!
KEVIN

Old 08-03-2006, 10:06:31 PM
Sponsor

Gary
I know we were there for plowing Sunday. I remember Graham's 110 plowing but not sure on the Gaar. We had planned on leaving about noon on Sunday but then found out they were going to try and plow. Dad said if I wanted to go we would as I had 5 hrs to Milton & then 4 hrs north to my home. Not sure now when we left, but I know it was late when I got home.

Robert
I think it was Ken & Cliff Dawson's father who owned the engine. Not sure where it came from but I think it may have come from south of the 49th in the 60's. I think their father owned a gas station in Bracebridge and it used to sit there. When I was going to college in the 70's one of my proffs was from Bracebridge and talked of the engine when he found out I was into them.
If Ken or Cliff are at the show this weekend I will ask them for more history.

Colin
I remember old Don Milne running the double Gaar on the mill when I first started going to Austin in the 80's. I was there the day Bob had it trucked in after changing the boiler. It was part way thru the show if I remember correctly.

Ross